Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

Just now, Mad_Max said:

I'd try drying out the boot as much as possible, then drown it with a water blaster one section at a time, see if you can find a leak anywhere. Jack the corner up and remove the wheel so you can blast into the wheel arch, as well as underneath the car. Go around the rear window, boot seal, tail lights etc. Check every few minutes for any sign of ingress, it has to be coming from somewhere.

Or, even better, get yourself into the boot with a torch and have someone else using the blaster (make sure you pick someone you trust not to leave you in the boot......)

A mate suggested the same. I have fold down seats and today checked my emergency latch release works. ?

thats the the next step here. 

1 hour ago, Gabe79 said:

Ok, much more exploring later... It isn't the vent, or the tube. It's exactly like this thread for me:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2319675-Water-leak-in-trunk

I have water in the section behind that pillar. I have taken out my tail lights and the seals look good. I went a step further and added dab-off to the outside edges of my tail light gasket anyway. Any ideas really appreciated...

Ignore the labels though, behind my pillar it's all wet. :)

IMG_0591.jpg

Have you checked the fitment of your plastic rear wheel linear and mudflap.thing e. As water would have to be driven to get to the position you have shown and the only way that happens is if it is thrown off the tyre as it spins. Also their must be a split or crack in the body seems to allow it to enter. Around the fuel filler neck is another place i can remember seeing water after washing the car although i don't think it enters the boot at all

Just now, allan said:

Have you checked the fitment of your plastic rear wheel linear and mudflap.thing e. As water would have to be driven to get to the position you have shown and the only way that happens is if it is thrown off the tyre as it spins. Also their must be a split or crack in the body seems to allow it to enter. Around the fuel filler neck is another place i can remember seeing water after washing the car although i don't think it enters the boot at all

Whilst I may also have a leak while driving, the car hasn’t been driven in awhile now and not at all in the rain/wet. This leak is happening parked. I’ll just have to go in there and having someone with a water hose outside. 

12 minutes ago, Gabe79 said:

Whilst I may also have a leak while driving, the car hasn’t been driven in awhile now and not at all in the rain/wet. This leak is happening parked. I’ll just have to go in there and having someone with a water hose outside. 

And so, the plot thickens..... If the car isn't in the rain/wet and is parked, it is safe to assume it is in a garage or under a carport, correct? That being the case, then my brain is thinking along a different path now....

Imagine for a second, you have had a water leak inside the car at some other stage, where moisture has never fully dried out. The temp of the boot rises, evaporating said moisture, whereupon it becomes a vapour. This vapour then hits the cooler underside of the boot lid/lip on the rear quarter, making the water condense back into liquid form and drip into the spots you're seeing.

If the above is correct, then it explains why you're seeing water marks in one spot, with no apparent ingress of water possible. Which means you have had/do have a water leak somewhere else inside the boot. Somewhere that, if the car has been parked up, must be getting wet, even if it's just a corner of it. I'd be checking everywhere throughout the boot now, not just where the water marks are. Pass. side floor well, spare wheel well, every single little place that's down low, and see if you see any moisture.

Moisture has gotten in there somehow, now it's just a process of elimination to find out where and what's causing the tea staining near your battery.

Sorry. I park outside. 

I thought about the condensation/moisture angle too. It doesn’t make sense. I scooped out a good litre of water from my spare wheel well after the most recent storms we had. I don’t think it’s a trickle, or a moisture issue it has to be a full on leak. It looks like it’s coming from behind the pdc controller somewhere. Need to just get in there with a torch. 

Edit: the boot Lining and contents are all dry. This is happening below, or behind all that, but above that vent by the battery. I thought to be a seam cracked too. Might still be. I have to remove be the bumper to fix some broken pdcs. That’ll be a good time to visually inspect the outside of that area. 

Edited by Gabe79

Gabriel the torch in the boot search sounds like a good idea. Hope the leak shows up quickly but be patient it might take a while for the water to filter through to where you can see it. Unsure of the situation of your vehicle is it garaged, parked on the street up hill ,down dale or flat  under a car port  etc?.

As reading your last post sounds like it is out side if so that changes what needs to be investigated i feel.

Rear windscreen sealing trim rubber

Rear screen seal too body

boot seal rubber/ lip that it is pressed over

body seam join by boot hinge. 

Blocked or obstructed drainage channels.

41 minutes ago, allan said:

Gabriel the torch in the boot search sounds like a good idea. Hope the leak shows up quickly but be patient it might take a while for the water to filter through to where you can see it. Unsure of the situation of your vehicle is it garaged, parked on the street up hill ,down dale or flat  under a car port  etc?.

As reading your last post sounds like it is out side if so that changes what needs to be investigated i feel.

Rear windscreen sealing trim rubber

Rear screen seal too body

boot seal rubber/ lip that it is pressed over

body seam join by boot hinge. 

Blocked or obstructed drainage channels.

Hi Allan, thanks for the input. 

The car is parked outside, reasonably level-ish on grass. 

Ive checked and rechecked the boot seal rubber, even having replaced it. ?

Ill check the things you mentioned, but what drainage channels could this be related to?

It's six /seven odd years since i owned the 530 so forgive me if the details are sketch. Water runs off the roof down the sides of the rear screen, the rubber trim seal and seal for the windscreen needs to be good. It is then directed to the boot drain channel along this then down over the rear tail lights. Some were near the boot hinges is a body join which has sealant in it. These I have seen cracked and over time has aloud water to entry. Re the boot seal rubber just a wild idea the rubber maybe good but is the boot  lid coming into contact with it and compressing it enough to provide a seal. Any how best of luck with your torch search and see what it turns up. These things are trying and a pain in the butt may the light shine on yours B)

The plastic air vents that let ventilation air out of the car can leak water through where they fit into the body.  Worth checking if there is water below this vent level but not above it.  It is the big black vent in the photo.

Best way to check is with you inside the boot with a torch and someone outside with a hose.  I have done this for a few leaks over the years and found the source very quickly.  Get the person outside to start with the hose down low on the car and move up slowly.

Just took the 335 for it's first little drive since engine and trans install. Engine feels and sounds good but the trans isn't shifting, seems to be stuck in 3rd or 4th. I suspect it's TCM related - VIN mismatch or something along those lines. Investigating my options. The easiest might be to swap out the TCM from the old box. More work underneath the car zzz

5 hours ago, NakiTouring said:

Just took the 335 for it's first little drive since engine and trans install. Engine feels and sounds good but the trans isn't shifting, seems to be stuck in 3rd or 4th. I suspect it's TCM related - VIN mismatch or something along those lines. Investigating my options. The easiest might be to swap out the TCM from the old box. More work underneath the car zzz

Might have the software for a different car, someone with coding software might be able to flash and reset it?

Or swap it with a DCT? lol
https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/bmw/accessories/auction-1422518176.htm

I put myself into my boot today and closed the lid with my wife outside. The risk was worth it (and she didn't even leave me in there too much longer than needed...) I found one leak. We used a water jet from the hose full on, all up and down, no water on that pillar again, but I did find this gem gifted to me by the previous owner:

37227915162_12d72612d9_h.jpg

Check out the missing stud on that rear right shock absorber... It is basically a hole through to the outside. Water slides nicely down my tail lights (which don't leak even a little bit... over my bumper and right into that nice hole there. Now, I am sure there is another leak somewhere. It is not possible for water from this hole to end up in that space behind the pillar from earlier... But c'est la vie eh. I'll be taking the bumper cover off this week and will be in the market for a new-to-me absorber sometime this week, or mid-October when I'm back from a trip.

Edited by Gabe79

this week I got my seat occupancy sensor mat replaced, and a new WOF on the e60.  happy days.

today I washed three cars, did the wheels, and chamoied them; 855-T5, e46, and e60.  three hours later... all looking nice.

this week I got my seat occupancy sensor mat replaced, and a new WOF on the e60.  happy days.

today I washed three cars, did the wheels, and chamoied them; 855-T5, e46, and e60.  three hours later... all looking nice.

3 hours ago, Gabe79 said:

I put myself into my boot today and closed the lid with my wife outside. The risk was worth it (and she didn't even leave me in there too much longer than needed...) I found one leak. We used a water jet from the hose full on, all up and down, no water on that pillar again, but I did find this gem gifted to me by the previous owner:

37227915162_12d72612d9_h.jpg

Check out the missing stud on that rear right shock absorber... It is basically a hole through to the outside. Water slides nicely down my tail lights (which don't leak even a little bit... over my bumper and right into that nice hole there. Now, I am sure there is another leak somewhere. It is not possible for water from this hole to end up in that space behind the pillar from earlier... But c'est la vie eh. I'll be taking the bumper cover off this week and will be in the market for a new-to-me absorber sometime this week, or mid-October when I'm back from a trip.

You mentioned that you were going to remove the rear bumper to look at some PDC sensors.Since you have found this upps it is easier i think to remove all six nuts in your case five undo the necessary clips etc holding it to the side. Then remove the bumper impact plate and bumper shocks all in one. Just remember to disconnect the PDC loom as well. The missing nut was attached to a stud which passes through a flange on the rear shock absorber so could easly be replaced with a similar size bolt and just welded back on. A pic of mine when i had it off replacing the standard bumper to a M sport one. Might give an idea of what things will look like hope it is of some help.

new bumper 017.jpg

new bumper 019.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, allan said:

You mentioned that you were going to remove the rear bumper to look at some PDC sensors.Since you have found this upps it is easier i think to remove all six nuts in your case five undo the necessary clips etc holding it to the side. Then remove the bumper impact plate and bumper shocks all in one. Just remember to disconnect the PDC loom as well. The missing nut was attached to a stud which passes through a flange on the rear shock absorber so could easly be replaced with a similar size bolt and just welded back on. A pic of mine when i had it off replacing the standard bumper to a M sport one. Might give an idea of what things will look like hope it is of some help.

new bumper 017.jpg

new bumper 019.jpg

Thanks for that. I think I’ll plug that hole with dab off tomorrow and will tackle this when I get back on the 19th. If I get a chance to remove stuff this week, I might still do, just to plan the repair later. This will also give me a clear idea if I have any other leaks or not with he car parked while away. 

Hope the break is R&R and some were warm any how best of luck. If i can help just let me know and I will see If I have any info or pic's for you.

E39 got the winter muck cleaned off today 

IMG_6271.thumb.JPG.c778c1dbc07478a80f182bcd90a093ab.JPG

• Like 6

Gave it a good wash and wax :D Also took it out for a nice wee spin since shifting house last weekend!

22047570_10155162526210787_1592542369_o.jpg?oh=a38aa36dbbcc81366e9f7d27a77562d8&oe=59CA1F93

• Like 2

On 23/09/2017 at 4:41 PM, Matth5 said:

Might have the software for a different car, someone with coding software might be able to flash and reset it?

Or swap it with a DCT? lol
https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/bmw/accessories/auction-1422518176.htm

Hmm, DCT...i like your style...maybe next time.

I've done a few things on the coding front, including flashing the old box with the Alpina firmware. But this one sounds like it's bit more involved than that and there's very little info out there. I did reset the adaptions yesterday with INPA but that didn't help.

Anyways, today I dropped the oil pan, removed the mechatronic, swapped in the TCU from the old box and put it all back together. Still need to torque up the bolts, reinstall a couple of brackets, put the oil back in and go for a spin. But at this stage INPA is telling me the original error has gone and the exclamation mark has gone from idrive. Moment of truth tomorrow hopefully :-)

• Like 1

The rain stopped and the sun came out at about 6 this evening, so got back under the car, finished bolting up a few brackets etc and pumped the fluid back into the trans.  Took it for a drive and it's all working the way it's supposed to, even the Alpina flash is still doing the business :D  New (to me) engine and gearbox transplanted successfully at last - it's only taken me about 13 months and I don't know how much $$$$!  Next time (shudder the thought) someone says they'll do the swap for $1500, I'll jump at it!

• Like 1

Technically for yesterday... I was wracking my brain as to why my stereo wasn’t working after taking out all the crap aftermarket wiring and it dawned on me I was missing a fuse due to weird wiring Removed. It all works now. I’m pleased. ?

On 9/17/2017 at 2:27 PM, Jacko said:

13 Hours of cutting/polishing/removing compound from face and she is is shineyAF. Still has 224k of stone chips and scratches, but they are very shiney stone chips! 

21740039_10154628134567693_1108324818728955139_n.jpg

21752804_10154628151842693_4771391540284584909_o.jpg

That will be my weekend next! After the respray want to get the machine looking like glass!

• Like 1

Finished 

The

Re

Spray

So today was technically the victory drive home from the workshops. Plenty of head turning from the glowing clear coat layers.

IMG_20170923_091417.jpg

IMG_20170919_104821.jpg

IMG_20170923_091426.jpg

IMG_20170924_164413.jpg

IMG_20170924_184636.jpg

IMG_20170930_215419.jpg

IMG_20171001_142200.jpg

IMG_20171001_125313.jpg

• Like 3

great stuff, kudos!