Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

Took the girlfriend to Kaikoura for a day trip.  Also gave the wee red best a wash both before and after :D.

roller1lowres.thumb.jpg.b8000ecae6d55c775cb6b71700d7ddf3.jpg

Had an attempt at drifting on tarmac at the drift track, however being precious about breaking the car and open diff life resulted in not too much sideways action but still good fun!

Photos to come from more recent updates too!

FlatAss-1.thumb.jpg.15f3263288e33d6da2dd944fac0368b8.jpg

• Like 3

In a moment of lucidity (not lunacy I swear) I took the entire steering column to a look smith to get a key made... who promptly told me he needed the drivers door lock.

And got some fresh plates for the e46.

IMG_0502.thumb.JPG.c35ea2d7fbda886330927fbc689ebe9c.JPG

IMG_0503.thumb.JPG.733bddd0bd51db4648df8dda14c6f280.JPG

• Like 2

I remember once on a motorbike being told they just needed the helmet lock, so took that in, got a key cut, got back home, didn't fit the ignition.  Removed ignition, took that in, got key sorted for both and thought great till i needed to refuel with gas, and found it it didn't fit the gas cap...  three trips to the lock smith later, all sorted.

Riced up the 38, well as much as I will.

boot spoiler. Gets a new windscreen on Wednesday to fix the cracked one

IMG_0606.JPG

IMG_0608.JPG

• Like 4

Well, not strictly my BMW, but perhaps that of Miss M. The 318Ti.

Correctly fitted the replacement headunit, with Aux input wiring through to the shelf under the glovebox.
Removed, repaired, and refitted the passenger side door card. It'd been removed before and as is not unusual, the push-clips had become detached from the card and become part of the door. Sorted now.
Sort of refitted part of the headlining so it doesn't hang over the rear window. Unfortunately it looks as though the whole thing needs doing. I'll need more enthusiasm for that.
Replaced the rear hatch struts so the bootlid now stays open instead of trying to decapitate whoever opens it.

Little things, but they make for a successful day.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

Found out that degreaser doesn't like your rocker cover grommets if they bathe in it for too long. Damn it!

Simple Green next time.

Installed RB Turbo's external PCV kit and Moshimoto oil catch can on the 335i. Hoping it causes disruption to the walnut blasting industry.

• Like 1

Did some late night wrenching after my E36 failed WoF (front outter ball-joints loose).

Removed Control Arms to replace the ball-joints.

5.jpg.715841426bda0ed1a6e886d3ea7fc965.jpg

Got carried away and:

Removed rear caliper and discs, cleaned up hubs and dust covers. I picked up some E46 328i rear calipers and discs to replcace them with as they're a slight upgrade on the E36 rear end. Will be on the hunt for 330i front brakes next.

7.jpg.d293906e3ba17333e264be75decfc43d.jpg

Pulled old shocks (labelled as 318is, in a 6cyl, may have contributed to soft rear end) before I upgrade the suspension front and back.

9.jpg.27d6025d0ca496063c0ca4178e7ada0c.jpg4.jpg.2f443584b7f31e6c6751c3bc35b9297b.jpg

Also have some new rear side window seals to replace the cracked and hardened ones on there atm.

6.jpg

Edited by Lucan
  • Like 5

A good friend has a hoist in his unit (behind your sushi shop) I can use whenever needed.

• Like 1

Reminds me of summer.

Nice. Bring it on.

My mate and I went out for S drive  in both the m3's out in hills ?

Swapping cars comparing the handling, power and gearboxes etc 

IMG_3295.JPG

• Like 5

Still alot of fiddling to go but you get the idea. Also sorted the drivers door lock finally

20171023_182637.jpg

• Like 2

Put up a shade sail in the attempt to stave off the bee poo bombardments this coming summer....

Shade Sail.jpg

Also over the weekend took the Monaro up to Auckland for a "End of Holden Production Cruise" - Not BMW but thought I'd mention it...

DSC03613.JPG

Edited by hqstu
  • Like 8

^ yes, worth mentioning. That looks great!

On a day other than today I discovered and fixed a coolant leak on the 328 and replaced the belts and pulleys, tensioners were fine. Belts were on their last legs so timing was good.

Removed the ECU from the M3 and found what I suspect is a problem with the circuit board.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, hqstu said:

Shade Sail.jpg

You got a new number plate!

New rear brake pads and a handbrake adjustment for the 520i last night, handbrake was barely functional beforehand. Also replaced it's washer fluid lines.

• Like 2

@hqstu - what two very seriously fantastic machines you have! Envious. Very envious am I! :D

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

You got a new number plate

Yep replacement plates for $17 (much better than $400 for replacement new euro style plates), different font of course to the old one but importantly the same number, and coincidently new rear brake pads and washer fluid lines recently as well... I see there is another topas blue 530 up for sale at moment...  Cheers Colin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, treone said:

what two very seriously fantastic machines

Cheers, I say three fantastic cars as the 530 in many respects is a seriously good practical and awesome performing vehicle - that looks the part... I was a certifiable Holden nutcase back in the 90's when one could actually afford them.  I'm very lucky to have this LS Monaro (a CV8 Monaro made way for it..) and now having discovered Beema's, my allegiance's are very much split... and my credit card is consequently more plastic than elastic...  

• Like 3

Put a 3rd pedal into the m535i and cleaned the interior so it no longer feels like a cocoon of disgustingness (who knew door handles could go mouldy)

IMG_0661.thumb.JPG.3ee8f8f911e49e53d654499e32056f61.JPG

Edited by eliongater
  • Like 9

11 hours ago, eliongater said:

Put a 3rd pedal into the m535i and cleaned the interior so it no longer feels like a cocoon of disgustingness (who knew door handles could go mouldy)

IMG_0661.thumb.JPG.3ee8f8f911e49e53d654499e32056f61.JPG

basically anywhere where dirt (read oils, sweat, scum) from the humanoid body will mould up in the right conditions. When conditions aren't right, it's still filth stuck to those surfaces... unless you clean it.   You should check out mighty car mods and their vehicle forensics.  It can be pretty gross...

1 hour ago, Olaf said:

basically anywhere where dirt (read oils, sweat, scum) from the humanoid body will mould up in the right conditions. When conditions aren't right, it's still filth stuck to those surfaces... unless you clean it.   You should check out mighty car mods and their vehicle forensics.  It can be pretty gross...

Took the primary child seat out of the wife’s e36.

Rasie you crumbs, bit of an old biscuit, water remains ( I hope it’s water) a few lollies and a stick collection.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2017 at 9:15 AM, Lucan said:

Pulled old shocks (labelled as 318is, in a 6cyl, may have contributed to soft rear end) before I upgrade the suspension front and back.

9.jpg.27d6025d0ca496063c0ca4178e7ada0c.jpg4.jpg.2f443584b7f31e6c6751c3bc35b9297b.jpg

What are those new coilovers?