Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

Today, on the 530 I removed the centre console cover to reveal 14 years of meal consumption evidence for ahh removal...  Also glued down the silver trim which had broken away, and replaced storage compartment with sliding cover.  Cleaned all switches, leather boots etc.  Going back in tomorrow when the glue dries.  Must do this on the M5 to see what hidden treasures lurk...

Also going to remove rain sensor as it is not working (and have really needed it lately...).  I suspect the clear adhesive pad is coming away there is a large area of "air bubble" across the sensor face.  Hopefully can get another pad...

DSC03632.JPG

DSC03634.JPG

DSC03637.JPG

• Like 1

Mrs W had a charity even to attend tonight...

So I gave the E39 a birthday (It's not really a birthday, because we usually wash it twice a year :lol:) - 5 minutes washing the car, 15 minutes washing the style 42's :rolleyes:

Almost looks like someone cares about it now.

The clutch is going to be due VERY soon - It's starting to bite very high. All the parts are in the garage, but it's not a project I'm looking forward to.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Allanw said:

Mrs W had a chisrity even to attend tonight...

So I gave the E39 a birthday (It's not really a birthday, because we usually wash it twice a year :lol:) - 5 minutes washing the car, 15 minutes washing the style 42's :rolleyes:

Almost looks like someone cares about it now.

The clutch is going to be due VERY soon - It's starting to bite very high. All the parts are in the garage, but it's not a project I'm looking forward to.

Its actually pretty easy...once the gearbox Is out! ;)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, hqstu said:

Today, on the 530 I removed the centre console cover to reveal 14 years of meal consumption evidence for ahh removal...  Also glued down the silver trim which had broken away, and replaced storage compartment with sliding cover.  Cleaned all switches, leather boots etc.  Going back in tomorrow when the glue dries.  Must do this on the M5 to see what hidden treasures lurk...

Also going to remove rain sensor as it is not working (and have really needed it lately...).  I suspect the clear adhesive pad is coming away there is a large area of "air bubble" across the sensor face.  Hopefully can get another pad...

Wasn't me, I refuse to eat and drive :P

Blame Smith & Smith for the windscreen, every time they touch one of my cars I am upset with something they have or haven't done.

Some kind of weird synergy going on here because I am looking at dealing to trim which has just started lifting in the Topaz Touring's cabin too!

5 hours ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

Blame Smith & Smith for the windscreen

I hear ya...  The adhesive pads are a "use once" deal so of course they would not replace it, unless a new screen comes with a pad which you'd like to think they would? I have some on the way off ebay.  Interestingly with the sensor disconnected the wipers revert to a normal intermittent mode...  Also bought one of those cassette tape input thingys, plugged it into a cheapo Bluetooth thingy and now have phone media connectivity with a sound that is surprisingly good... eat ya heart out Dynavin... :) Console back together now and looking good...

DSC03638.JPG

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

Much prefer the look of this stereo setup to any of the screen types, even with your wire doofer hanging out. Screens are a bit too Xzibit "Pimp my Ride" for me

my ninja set up on my old e39 :ph34r:

20160903_132019.thumb.jpg.d5317c3df2719e546522760506aab866.jpg

20160903_132034.thumb.jpg.0f020c748cc87d7803abc3f60011d6f0.jpg

20160903_132101.thumb.jpg.2d6cff9c079fbb4fc7bba019b8bf106a.jpg

20160903_132113.thumb.jpg.5a7a59e6bded911f7ddef2c7ccc98989.jpg

• Like 1

So I set about driving from New Plymouth to Auckland this arvo, got about 45 mins out of town (over the other side of the awesome Mt Messenger for those that know it) when the ABS, TCS etc etc light came one...  Just replaced a sensor for this the other day...i wonder what's wrong?  :-(  Now at NP airport!

26 minutes ago, NakiTouring said:

So I set about driving from New Plymouth to Auckland this arvo, got about 45 mins out of town (over the other side of the awesome Mt Messenger for those that know it) when the ABS, TCS etc etc light came one...  Just replaced a sensor for this the other day...i wonder what's wrong?  :-(  Now at NP airport!

Brake light Trifecta :\ Been through that with my E53. Got my ABS unit repaired.

Dunedin, baby!

OK... Not all that informative but with luck, more news soon.

3 hours ago, gjm said:

Dunedin, baby!

OK... Not all that informative but with luck, more news soon.

Nothing to do with a 335i?

• Like 1

Started replacing the trunk lid wiring loom in the M3 (common e36 problem). It's a bit of a PITA job and BMW make it harder than it needs to be. The repair loom is provided with wire tails, tiny solder connectors and heatshrink tube so you need to splice up to 20 wires into the chassis loom. Considering they can charge what they want for the repair loom why not provide a damn connector to avoid all that faffing around? All you'd need to do then is plug the chassis side of the wires into the connector once you cut them.

Seems really stupid. So I went and purchased some plug-in electrical connectors to do exactly that.

Can't disconnect the spoiler brake light connector without removing the spoiler (another dumb design decision by BMW) so I'll have to cut those wires in the trunk, pull them out, feed them back and connect them up again.

TrunkLoom.jpg

11 hours ago, NakiTouring said:

Nothing to do with a 335i?

You're right. Nothing to do with a 335i!

WP_20171030_002.thumb.jpg.c18e453c417fd24a0a31bbfb1d88b012.jpg

• Like 3

On 10/30/2017 at 7:38 PM, M3AN said:

Started replacing the trunk lid wiring loom in the M3 (common e36 problem). It's a bit of a PITA job and BMW make it harder than it needs to be. The repair loom is provided with wire tails, tiny solder connectors and heatshrink tube so you need to splice up to 20 wires into the chassis loom. Considering they can charge what they want for the repair loom why not provide a damn connector to avoid all that faffing around? All you'd need to do then is plug the chassis side of the wires into the connector once you cut them.

Seems really stupid. So I went and purchased some plug-in electrical connectors to do exactly that.

Can't disconnect the spoiler brake light connector without removing the spoiler (another dumb design decision by BMW) so I'll have to cut those wires in the trunk, pull them out, feed them back and connect them up again.

TrunkLoom.jpg

Went through this when I replaced my boot lid. Feel your pain

• Like 1

Changed the wheels on Miss M's 318Ti.

And now the ABS and traction control lights shine brightly on the dash.

I suppose it proves those bulbs work...

I must have knocked an ABS sensor when sorting the wheels, unless anyone can think of anything else that it could be?

15 hours ago, gjm said:

I must have knocked an ABS sensor when sorting the wheels, unless anyone can think of anything else that it could be?

Have you tried removing the sensors, cleaning them, and putting them back in?

Its common for them to get dirty and then play up.

15 hours ago, gjm said:

In addition to what zero says above, on my E91 at least, you can swap the sensors around, left and right and see if the error code moves with it.  As you'll see further up the page, I'm battling the same issues, so I feel your pain, although my error lights seem to have gone away for now :unsure:

55 minutes ago, zero said:

Have you tried removing the sensors, cleaning them, and putting them back in?

Its common for them to get dirty and then play up.

Not yet... This was the culmination of yesterday's efforts, and almost dark when I finished.

And I'm at work today. :(

20171105_114511.thumb.jpg.ca5ad5a416a56c6817cf33e9c588e524.jpg

Removed the seats & carpet from the 523i to upgrade to later-model ASC (works with the MS43 / M54B30), and swap in a black carpet / sport seats / interior bits.

• Like 2

Had the LCA rear bushes replaced, and WoF'd the 318i.

See here. :) 

• Like 2

Hit 163000km in the 525e, but my biggest fan died, so now I've got to pull the dash apart to get to the heater fan :(

3 hours ago, eliongater said:

Hit 163000km in the 525e, but my biggest fan died, so now I've got to pull the dash apart to get to the heater fan :(

Pull it apart, or (a la E46) remove it completely because it is impossible to sort with the dash in situ?

I fapped all over my X5

Got me a new water blaster and foam jizzy thing this weekend 

20171107_181055.jpg

• Like 2

You know what I'm like with dirty. 
I'm getting nervous about driving up your 400m patch of shingle this weekend.