Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

Replaced front control arms and sway bar endlinks.

I will edit edit up a picture to sum up my day but here’s a textual representation of how it all went...

Pickle fork - fail

scissor type separator - fail

big f’ing hammer - success

Edited by Gabe79
  • Like 2

It's always a matter of having the right tool for the job!

Let me see...

Changed engine oil and filter on car 1.
Removed LED tail lights and replaced with stock 10W bulbs - fixes 'Check' 'Brake Lights' issue.
Fixed high level brake light.
Replaced fuel filter to see if it sorts sluggish acceleration - not tested yet, but all sorts of yuck came out of the filter.

Changed engine oil and filter on car 2.
Fixed ABS / Speed sensor issue on same car. (Actually - I'm not sure how I fixed this. It was there, I jacked it up, and now it's gone. :unsure: )

Changed engine oil and filter on car 3.

Tomorrow I see if Repco in Hamilton still have an oil disposal bin...

• Like 2

On 10/11/2017 at 7:50 PM, Gabe79 said:

Replaced front control arms and sway bar endlinks.

big f’ing hammer - success

You didn't smack the ALLOY front hubs with a big hammer, did you??? They're known to crack or let go of the inserts, if you do! :ph34r:

They're fun to access, though, aren't they!?!?!?!

• Like 1

took it for a couple of appraisals for trade in : might get 3k off asking lot price at one place on an "Old man Outback" that's already 2 k over priced

6 minutes ago, JoKer said:

took it for a couple of appraisals for trade in : might get 3k off asking lot price at one place on an "Old man Outback" that's already 2 k over priced

The 3.0 H6 Outback is a great car.

Massively overpriced when compared with a Legacy wagon, though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Allanw said:

You didn't smack the ALLOY front hubs with a big hammer, did you??? They're known to crack or let go of the inserts, if you do! :ph34r:

They're fun to access, though, aren't they!?!?!?!

So, irony here... the only insert that slipped was from one of the tension arms, that came off without a hitch. It was the two side ones, that connection from the bottom to the top, that were just rude. On both sides, they weren't at all respectful of the amount of money I spent on tools to get them out gently at all. We managed to not miss the end of the balljoint, and the big f'ing hammer left no marks anywhere. :)

EDIT: We used very high jackstands. Access was only an issue at the end, when we lowered the car onto ramps so we could torque up the bolts to the subframe. That was awkward as anything and having a lift would have been really handy just then...

Edited by Gabe79
  • Like 1

Just some garage tidying.

And got the 190E running for the first time in far too long. Started 2nd turn... :D  But needs the cooling system flushing.

And had a visit from a very nice gent from darn sarf, with his 330Ci.

• Like 1

Replaced the BBS rims with BMW ones, and with brand new tyres to go with, and an alignment after having changed control arms...

IMG_2017 (1).JPG

• Like 1

Wired in a check engine light in my e34.  Always wondering if there were any faults stored :P

Went for a drive.... I like my "new" wheels :)

20171116_191706.jpg

20171116_191739.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, hqstu said:

Went for a drive.... I like my "new" wheels :)

What did you have done? Restored/repainted?

14 hours ago, TermiPeteNZ said:

What did you have done? Restored/repainted?

I had the wheels repaired (curbing and one dent on inside rim) and refinished in shadow chrome.

A good job done but I understand they (the contractor to CJ BMW) had to try 3 times to get it right....

Cost $300 per wheel which I think is pretty good really considering the SC finish required.

Also had the headlight adjusters replaced, aiming system checked and set, and the lenses fine polished and UV coated.

• Like 3

Flushed the coolant on the Mercedes 190E... Then found I have a electrical 'leak' somewhere as the otherwise brand new Bosch battery was as flat as a very flat thing. No idea at the moment if a light was left on, or if it is a bad earth somewhere.

Let this be a lesson to everyone. Use your cars - don't leave them int he garage getting dusty!

• Like 2

Finally fixed my broken parking brake switch. Replaced it with one that has the ‘auto-hold’ feature, works like a charm.

9C1224FB-7FCE-44ED-9691-8192749EBA52.jpeg

Changed the fuel filter on Mrs M's car. What a PITA!

You can see it, but you can't reach it. It's under the brake fluid reservoir, and the PS reservoir. From underneath, there's only room for one hand, making it difficult to undo Jubilee clips.

Having backed off all the clips, and slid them out of the way, then comes the remove the hoses challenge. Top one came off because I could get one hand to the filter, hold the hose and push the filter with two fingers. (It is a one-handed exercise because of space.)
The bottom connection is another matter as it's more difficult to get a grip on anything. Having fiddled things around, I was able to work the filter out of the bottom of the car (at which point petrol is pouring out of the filter).
Get hold of the hose and "Come on!" "No!" "Come on!" "No!" "Come ON!" "No!" "COME ON!" "NO!... Oh, all right. Have a face full of petrol. :P "

<sigh>

Unusually, it's easier to put everything back together than to take apart.

Edited by gjm
  • Like 1

Finally found and installed a mint set of 350M wheels 8x18. Given the chance I put 4 new tyres as well. No more run flats... looks good and most Important did not cost me a fortune. Thanks to Kyu he sealed the deal super fast. 

20171125_190007.jpg

20171125_190456.jpg

• Like 5

Removed all the parts I need from the parts car for my manual transmission swap into the touring.  If anyone has ideas on how to remove the pedal box assembly I'm all ears.  I feel like i ended up removing a lot more things than what was actually required.

IMG_20171203_095344.jpg

• Like 1

Replaced cam sensor on the E36, now realize how bad it was running as feels like I’m driving a new car!

Swapped in some new plugs for the hell of also.

• Like 1

Cleaned the E36. Picked up a 328i exhaust cheap - hopefully an upgrade on the 323i single pipe.

17121201.thumb.jpg.cc957cf2d2cf8fa3c15e3675fc1c4b68.jpg

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Lucan said:

Cleaned the E36. Picked up a 328i exhaust cheap - hopefully an upgrade on the 323i single pipe.

17121201.thumb.jpg.cc957cf2d2cf8fa3c15e3675fc1c4b68.jpg

Why do you have different wheels front and back?

WoF'd the E36 318Ti. :)

11 hours ago, Gabe79 said:

Why do you have different wheels front and back?

Combination of things. Lazy being one of them.

Refurbing the rear set of DS2's and the front Style 66 tyres too worn for WOF. lol