Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

Replaced one outer tie-rod, did an oil change and cleaned out the throttle body, ICV, and MAF. Still up on jacks to do other tie rod tomorrow as I was sent a wrong part. 

25 degrees today - Time for a beer!

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Sold it. Been a fun 11 years and 160,000 kms.

Hopefully the nephew enjoys his new e36 328i

E2EF62FD-04BC-436E-AFA2-EE8460CC1B54.jpeg

• Like 5

I wouldn't wish this upon my worst enemy, replacing the fuse box should be easy... and it would be if BMW gave us a couple of inches of working room with the length of wires. As it is brute force is required and it's such a mess!

Anyway, ECU repaired and fuse box replaced (box was actually damaged prior to my ownership - looks like the people that installed the alarm just yanked it out and broke it).

FuseBoxMess.jpg

Also, after more than two years I've finally had my bumper repainted. Not a bad colour match considering they didn't have the rest of the car

... still need some hardware to install all the ancillaries.

BumperSurgery01.jpg

BumperSurgery02.jpg

• Like 4

Replaced the rear tail light on the M5 as the led bar had gone phut.  Then went to install a CTEK charger on the battery and the negative earth clamp fractured.......wtf.   After much phaffing about I have a new clamp and the charger wiring is all aligned so the battery foam cover etc all goes back in properly.......small job turns into a bigger one.   Now off for a WOF.....

Put the car up on quick jacks to find out why my driver training on the 29th was cut short 

Some plonker (me) didn't put the heat shield on the right hand side engine mount. :blush:

Engine mount Melted 

Ordered : Vibra Technics Uprated Competition Front Engine Mounts

Required : Rad Shroud, Fan, Heat shield

maybe: New radiator, Sound insulating engine hood

• Like 2

Sold the 328 and spent the rest of the day crying in my x5. 

• Like 3

Flashed with xHP and MHD. Boosted it up a hill and f'ed it. Misfiring - might need new coils(?).

For the brief moment that the car actually worked, it was glorious.

Last week I sold the 316i project car, meaning after selling my compact in December I am officially BMWless. 

For the first time in 4 years. It won't last though, time to concentrate on finding the perfect start for an E30 project. Going to do it right, so it can be the last E30 I own ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, huff3r said:

. Going to do it right, so it can be the last E30 I own ?

Who are you trying to kidd?;):lol:

Edited by allan
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, allan said:

Who are you trying to kidd?;):lol:

Yeah, I said that with the last four as well ;)

Traded the Titansilver 530 touring on a 2011 Mazda 6. 3 E39s had me tearing my hair out, looking forward to not hearing from the wife what isn't working today.

Wondering what all the new car reviewers were smoking back then. Seriously, it is a fridge on wheels.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

Traded the Titansilver 530 touring on a 2011 Mazda 6. 3 E39s had me tearing my hair out, looking forward to not hearing from the wife what isn't working today.

Wondering what all the new car reviewers were smoking back then. Seriously, it is a fridge on wheels.

nothing to do with the fact they could be 20 years old and hardly any maintenance for 10 yrs?

• Like 2

Sadly true for any "old" BMW. In this specific case 14 years old and I suspect only maintained for the first 4 years of its life.It sucks having to play catch up.

In related news, I stopped by @hqstu's place on my way back home to visit my old 530i, some serious love lavished on that car by him- it is looking very sharp indeed.

• Like 2

Had to buy this because my 4 bmws might break and I need a reliable daily... 

um

20180108_210359.jpg

• Like 6

Crying my eyes out, cause I am (HAVE to) selling my E30...:cry-min:

20 hours ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

Sadly true for any "old" BMW. In this specific case 14 years old and I suspect only maintained for the first 4 years of its life.It sucks having to play catch up.

In related news, I stopped by @hqstu's place on my way back home to visit my old 530i, some serious love lavished on that car by him- it is looking very sharp indeed.

nope.When i bought my 1990 535 in about 2002 I was its 4th owner.It had done about 150k and EVERYTHING worked.I sold it at about 260 and everything still worked except the a/c wasnt very cold  and the heater valves were dodgy.That car never let me down.It once took about 15minutes to start.That was the only time .I serviced that car by the book too.

Ive yet to buy a car that doesn't need something but some are worst than others. E39's for example - old cars by today's standards with low plastic quality, running more complex and less reliable electrical systems combined with a more complex full alloy suspension setup = lotsamoney to get back to standard. Im sure i could refresh two E34's for the same price as one E39. 

Couldn't figure out why the brakes weren't right with a Compact I picked up not long ago....

Seriously though, to think someone was driving around with this, with a baby/young child in the car as well........ car was registered and warranted before it was impounded. Glad to say this is one less death trap on the road, it will not be driven ever again.

20180110_125937.jpg

20180110_130710.jpg

20180110_130728.jpg

• Like 2

22 hours ago, kiwi535 said:

.I serviced that car by the book too.

And therein lies the answer. Most E39's aren't adequately looked after, hence the problems my three keep giving me because nobody changed the gearbox oil, or the thermostat, of put f***ing aliexpress MAF and cam sensors in. I don't think they are all unreliable- I just think 99.5% of them are suffering from neglectful ignorant and/or cheapskate owners.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

And therein lies the answer. Most E39's aren't adequately looked after, hence the problems my three keep giving me because nobody changed the gearbox oil, or the thermostat, of put f***ing aliexpress MAF and cam sensors in. I don't think they are all unreliable- I just think 99.5% of them are suffering from neglectful ignorant and/or cheapskate owners.

i hope your 99.5 % is wrong!I will only ever be able to buy a used example!