Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

6 hours ago, Bennyboy said:

I spun a rod bearing at the Taupo track yesterday.......... car is at 140k so was prob due anyways, just hoping there’s no damage to the rod.

not feeling good today.

Really feel for you Ben :\ Hope it ain't too bad.

• Sad 1

Thanks man! Was surprised, but pretty much no discernable difference to the eye at all.

It's is nice to be able to drive over a bridge expansion joint without holding my breath though. 

17 hours ago, Bennyboy said:

I spun a rod bearing at the Taupo track yesterday.......... car is at 140k so was prob due anyways, just hoping there’s no damage to the rod.

not feeling good today.

darn , has your car had the recall done on the bearings.

my m3 about the same ks  but had new bearings done at about 60ks .

kayne barrie , reckons I should do them again.

have spare s54 engines if needed

On 3/12/2018 at 9:41 AM, BM WORLD said:

Get a sample of your oil tested. An indication of Bearing condition can be derived from sample. 

E.G. forum with a bit more info

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=431107

• Like 3

Mate there’s nothing in the notes to say it had the recall campaign work carried out. Ex Singapore.

from what I’ve read they should be done (regardless) every 80k

1 hour ago, Bennyboy said:

Good call. Will do

I think Neal was suggesting that Brent does an oil sample. I don't think there'd be much point in you doing one now - you know the rod is spun and that you've got work to do. Oil sample would more be an indicator of likely bearing wear for someone who was trying to tell how worn their bearings were without looking at them. (also FWIW a single oil analysis isn't so helpful, it's more a series of them that can show a trend (e.g. more lead/more copper over time)).

Good luck with getting your car sorted, sounds like you probably have a bit of work ahead to ascertain the condition of the rod, crankshaft, etc.

Mine were almost toast at 140k (only put a couple of thousand k on it after buying and before doing the bearings). Mine is an '05 so wasn't part of the recall/preventative action/whatever BMW call it. That's only my experience and I don't know for sure how the owners before me treated the car - lots of other people seem to get more mileage out of them, but going forward I'll be playing it safe and replacing maybe every 80k-100k (If I ever put that many k's on the car!!)

Hope my entirely subjective and non-statistically significant opinion is helpful!

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 6:23 PM, Karter16 said:

Today I looked at it and thought to myself that it desperately needs a wash.

Our 6 month old has been in and out of hospital a lot since birth so understandably attention for the BMW has been minimal.

When I find time it'll be getting a good clean and an oil and filter change as coming up about 1800km since the rod-bearings replacement (the car not the baby).

Hope things improve on the hospital front , can relate to this and an M3 can be a good distraction. A spent a few years adding stereo bits to mine. Took me away from the worry to a certain extent. Hopefully you be like us soon where the visits have stopped and things are going good.

Had Winger replace the airbag.

Started replacing the accessory belts, water pump and thermostat. Realised I didn't have the right tools, so settled for a new thermostat gasket to check if that solved my leak (will replace it when I do the water pump).

Finished installing the shadow line trim I had, washed it and managed to turn a semi-decent camera into a potato (should've checked the settings before shooting).

E316DC07-13DE-4FEE-BAAC-1DD699AFF895.thumb.jpeg.f10aed412396c27db77328b85c18cb0f.jpeg

DSC05737.thumb.JPG.8c5e100521255629dd9b9082343bdff4.JPG

Edited by eliongater
  • Like 5

Cleaned and polished (!) a whole bunch of suspension bits (nut, bolts, spacers, caps, top mounts etc.) whilst waiting for the required new parts to arrive. Will save over $300 by reusing serviceable parts (top mounts are most of this).

Donanted M3 suspension will be going into the 328, I'll be starting at the rear (parts ordered) before I tackle the front (much bigger job).

After much  drooling over a stunning e39, i've decided to keep my e46.

So got to doing annual spark plug inspection / change over, during which i noted one headlight had got some condensation from being parked outside for a week. (we are painting out kitchen too, so, many, projects)

During taking out a bulb to vent the headlight, the bulb fell out of its socket and dropped down into the engine aby / bumper / under tray area.

After a lot of  searching and removal of air filter housing and front spot light i found the little bugger in the bumper underneath the spotlight housing.....

next little project will be sorting out my moist head light, will pull apart ad check the seals...

Edited by hunter

2 hours ago, hunter said:

After much  drooling over a stunning e39, i've decided to keep my e46.

So got to doing annual spark plug change over, during which i noted one headlight had got some condensation from being parked outside for a week. (we are painting out kitchen too, so, many, projects)

During taking out a bulb to vent the headlight, the bulb fell out of its socket and dropped down into the engine aby / bumper / under tray area.

After a lot of  searching and removal of air filter housing and front spot light i found the little bugger in the bumper underneath the spotlight housing.....

next little project will be sorting out my moist head light, will pull apart ad check the seals...

Annual spark plug change? Why such frequency?

6 hours ago, NZ BMW said:

Annual spark plug change? Why such frequency?

I Pull them each autumn to check condition before winter, if they look worn ad there's a special on i'll swap them out. a few weeks ago i did this and they looked a bit pitted, so yesterday i changed them.

One did have a bit of oil on it which i havent seen before, might be a gasket needs changing somewhere

2 hours ago, hunter said:

I Pull them each autumn to check condition before winter, if they look worn ad there's a special on i'll swap them out. a few weeks ago i did this and they looked a bit pitted, so yesterday i changed them.

One did have a bit of oil on it which i havent seen before, might be a gasket needs changing somewhere

I see, I thought you post was saying you change them every year which I thought was fairly keen. 

Got a m60 manifold for the v8 project today from the wreckers for $30

• Like 1

Thanks @qube !

Just noticed in this pic that it’s a bit crooked...

89A60EFA-9D8E-4BC6-BE29-7EA18A317091.jpeg

better fix that up but damn.. looks so good. quad exhausts too!!

dropped in to Winger today, to arrange booking for e46 recall on the drivers airbag (replacement).  they kindly did it on the spot, exceeding my expectations.

Now need to source a new steering shaft coupling (steering guibo).  I've seen @Funkyflynz's vidjo on ewetube, and understand it must be the RHD part with heatshield.  I'll do this myself, as money's tight.  P/N 32 30 6 761 571

1 hour ago, Olaf said:

dropped in to Winger today, to arrange booking for e46 recall on the drivers airbag (replacement).  they kindly did it on the spot, exceeding my expectations.

Now need to source a new steering shaft coupling (steering guibo).  I've seen @Funkyflynz's vidjo on ewetube, and understand it must be the RHD part with heatshield.  I'll do this myself, as money's tight.  P/N 32 30 6 761 571

I did one last week where I used a e30 urethane guibo from ireland engineering ($29us) and cut out the old munted rubber one from the e46 coupling.

Cheap as and worked perfectly.

http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/item/e30steercoupler.html

20180317_130322.thumb.jpg.6c4da96152bccd9a8b8a41b18b8a3599.jpg20180317_130339.thumb.jpg.0bdac1ac22e0567b03a6c404186580dc.jpg20180317_133151.thumb.jpg.1a0a62f531476556868db7adfdd94184.jpg

Edited by zero
Added link to guibo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, zero said:

I did one last week where I used a e30 urethane guibo from ireland engineering ($29us) and cut out the old munted rubber one from the e46 coupling.

Cheap as and worked perfectly.

http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/item/e30steercoupler.html

20180317_130322.thumb.jpg.6c4da96152bccd9a8b8a41b18b8a3599.jpg20180317_130339.thumb.jpg.0bdac1ac22e0567b03a6c404186580dc.jpg20180317_133151.thumb.jpg.1a0a62f531476556868db7adfdd94184.jpg

where's yer heat shield, mate?

34 minutes ago, Olaf said:

where's yer heat shield, mate?

Fusspot!