Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

On 24 May 2018 at 6:50 PM, Kepes said:

The E30 wasn't stopping very well, so it was time for a brake overhaul. 

New pads, rotors, rebuilt calipers, braided brake lines, and brand new master cylinder originally fitted to the bigger 7 series of the same era. Oh, and new tyres, Bridgestone RE003. 
Car stops much better, success! Off for a WoF on Tuesday.

Unpainted one is from the E32, noticeably beefier
IMG_20180414_142726.jpg.ba1dbb7757c01c65fe15484b7a9f2189.jpg

how much did that set you back ? was about $300 last time i looked into them

19 hours ago, _ethrty-Andy_ said:

how much did that set you back ? was about $300 last time i looked into them

Around $250 landed, Ate brand. Got it off ebay

• Like 1

Hired a Rug Doctor today to attack the seats I picked up from Zebra recently for the 328. As clean as the seats looked before I started this was an exercise in disgusting, it was gross how rank the resulting liquid was. Much better now.

Next I'll tackle the leather but that's in pretty good condition. I'll be swapping the back and base cushions from passenger to driver side and I have a third seat base (from the passenger side of another car) to cannibalise to create a new base for the passenger side.

Had my MF Wheel project completed this week.

Wheel swap and cruise control had been in for about 4 weeks...this week i got a new Alpine mechless media player installed and Audio controls wired up by Mad Soundz here in hamilton. They did a great job and after some fiddling the Bavsound speakers have really come alive with the Alpine unit. It's great have bluetooth audio  and phone (with Mic) too. 

• Like 1

Oil changethis morning, Installed 5inch stepped intercooler to my 335i.

Catless down pipes and tune next.

Fluffed around in the garage for a bit, as not feeling 100% couldn't do much on cars, so mostly just moving piles of parts from one shelf to another. Got bored after a while so started draining the fluids out of the race car ready for changing with fresh stuff.

Then spent a good couple of hours putting the decals on the first of the M3 model kits.. there's a sh*t load of them on those Warsteiner DTM cars! They are good at covering up my poor attempts at hand painting bits though.

4 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Then spent a good couple of hours putting the decals on the first of the M3 model kits.. there's a sh*t load of them on those Warsteiner DTM cars! They are good at covering up my poor attempts at hand painting bits though.

Let them fully dry and then lay some clear coat over them, light coats and then a final wet coat. Makes race car scale models look a bit more convincing.

Thanks for the tip, I will give that a try!

Bought a May 2001 318Ci...

• Like 3

Replaced front brake pad sensor on the E39, good bye check brake lines message. 

Started splitting a set of style 5s to use the wider barrels/better offset for my BBS RTs. Was a hard decision but I like the different look of RTs. And WAY easier to clean ?

received_10212620077761271.jpeg

• Like 1

Same reason i got rid of my style 5's, too much work on clean on a daily driver. I compromised and went with RS 740's instead, were much easier to refinish as well.

RT's should look great though if they come up like Kyu's photo. 

@qube is that your set up?

Yea I've got LMs on the wagon and RSs on my other car and it's a mission to clean them properly. Being a daily, less spokes the better ?

I was going to short cut it and do a straight swap and not bother removing the clear coat followed by a polish. Too much admin right now. 

I drove to Aucklandto get a manual conversion and m42 that I don't need because all my e36s are manual 

So the only logical thing to do was commit to buy another e36, so I suppose I'll go get that tomorrow 

I keep saying I don't like e36s because they fall apart inside and now I have 4 again

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Finally installed the M3 rear sway bar into the 328 which now completes that suspension job F+R. The M3 one is only 2mm larger so I'm not going to notice any difference but having a matching set is nice.

In the process I learned the 328 has a heavy-arse vibration damper bolted (and tethered) to the exhaust... has anyone removed that to see what happens? Seems like a bit of a kludge to me.

20 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Finally installed the M3 rear sway bar into the 328 which now completes that suspension job F+R. The M3 one is only 2mm larger so I'm not going to notice any difference but having a matching set is nice.

In the process I learned the 328 has a heavy-arse vibration damper bolted (and tethered) to the exhaust... has anyone removed that to see what happens? Seems like a bit of a kludge to me.

I've had them with and without,  it may suppress certain frequencies that you will never notice. 

• Thanks 1

A random stint of progress on the fleet.

New rear tyre on the E39 last week since the previous had sidewall damage/split...prepping for sale next as I have a company car now and next to no room :(

E30 was rolled out, washed down and got a new car cover. Motivated to get my nails back into the M30 swap now!

E36: picked up some E46 330i front calipers and rotors yesterday and an MSport wheel off @Palazzo earlier tonight to boot! Looking for front and rear strut braces next 

• Like 1

Got myself a super bad ass 318 with a super powerful m43 and 4l30e yesterday  

Talk about living the high life, it changes gears all by itself, none of my others do this, not even the X5!  

Changed the oil in the 318. Looked at the engine, got bored, drove home. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dirtydoogle said:

Got myself a super bad ass 318 with a super powerful m43 and 4l30e yesterday  

Talk about living the high life, it changes gears all by itself, none of my others do this, not even the X5!  

Changed the oil in the 318. Looked at the engine, got bored, drove home. 

I was talking yesterday with someone and got to thinking how good a M43 would be in front of an autobox in an E30...

do have some odd ideas, sometimes.

That's not the worst idea I've heard of. 

Certainly much more "refined" than my 316 m40 manual monster. 

On a side note, I forgot how useless Japanese suspension settings are 

got another box of goodies from Turner motorsport, looks like i will be doing spark plugs in the M5 all weekend! :)

DSC_0468.thumb.JPG.2468206eaf700dbeb6560c8e2aaa365f.JPG

• Like 2