Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

Ran a cooling system pressure test on the swish new 318. Then it hydrolocked on starting. So it certainly leaks past the head gasket on a dead cold motor, but is okay when warm. Might do a gasket. Not sure if I care.

Found that amusing, did some donuts out front of the workshop. 

Took the X5 home instead. Way nicer. No idea why I buy all these e36s

• Like 1

changed the plugs in the M5, someone in its past has removed the coils, broken the tops of 2 of them, and put them back in! Destroyed them both getting them out again, so off the road until i get 2 new coils. Photo of the worst plug...

DSC_0469.thumb.JPG.296c3a37172475a6ea0b6540260bd317.JPG

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I’ve started changing coils whenever doing plugs for that reason. The heat destroys the tips of them and particularly on the larger engines, the ones at the back of the block are difficult to get out without damage.

Yeah this wasnt heat damage, they had been snapped off, and one of the coil plugs was held in with cable ties! 8 of the 10 were perfectly fine. Coils are a bit pricey to change for the fun of it !

Made some delicious fudge and a nutritional milkshake with the m43 during my lunch break 

30 minutes in and I realised my E-torx set is at a mate's. So I haven't taken the head off yet

If it has a cracked head I'll probably just park it in a corner and pretend I don't own it, or I could put a manual m44 in it or m42 and it'd still be a pile of garbage 

I'm doing super well at being an adult and the missus is super happy about this

20180707_151852.jpg

20180707_151843.jpg

20180707_151830.jpg

20180707_151644.jpg

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, aja540i said:

Yeah this wasnt heat damage, they had been snapped off, and one of the coil plugs was held in with cable ties! 8 of the 10 were perfectly fine. Coils are a bit pricey to change for the fun of it !

Cable ties to hold a coil together on a M5.... some people. 

My thinking has always been that the plugs last about 100k kms or slightly less so I don’t mind paying for coils at that time. I guess the M5 might eat plugs faster than normal though?

4 hours ago, dirtydoogle said:

Made some delicious fudge and a nutritional milkshake with the m43 during my lunch break 

MMM milk shake one can expect when your head is leaking . But the fudge is down to sheer neglect surely? Have fun cleaning that little lot up ?

Refurbished/rebuilt the battery clamp for the 318Ci after POs boyfriend 'mechanic' managed to strip the thread in the securing bolt... Nope - I don't know how he managed it.

All good now though.

Hang on a sec, are cable ties not BMW approved for all repairs?

Seems entirely fitting for a 6 figure and 400 hp car!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, allan said:

MMM milk shake one can expect when your head is leaking . But the fudge is down to sheer neglect surely? Have fun cleaning that little lot up ?

Correct. Some of the drains were completely blocked down to the block so if I don't bin this pile of junk I'll pop the sump off and clean it out 

I acid washed the head this evening, and hot washed it. Easy peasy 

Great, make's life so much easier when one has access to the correct equipment.

• Like 1

Washed the X5 after work then went for a tootle in Donald. 

20180708_153013.jpg

20180708_153004.jpg

• Like 4

^ I like 50% of that post.

And it's it's not the BMW 50%.

• Like 1

Might have lined up a swap... Our E36 318i SE 4-door 5-speed manual sedan for a 1985 E30 320i... Don't actually want a 6-pot E30 but there's more chance of swapping that on for a 4-pot model than doing the same with the E36.

If it happens I'll be looking for some tips on bodywork repairs. That's not something I've ever done as I consider it more art than engineering, and I'm no artist.

Edited by gjm

Tips for bodywork:

1) avoid

2) avoid

3) con someone else into doing it

BTW I hate fixing rust, which is why I have 2 e21s.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

A good mate of mine specializes in rust repairs up here on the Coast, if you want to send stuff up.

• Thanks 1

A whole car...? ;) 

Actually, I don't think it is all that bad. Rear quarter, and (as usual) battery tray. I'd be looking to tidy it up a bit without spending too much on it (a few $00, max) and then see if I can swap it for a half-decent M10 or M4x automatic.

Moved the 330, so I could brew up four jugs of Corolla Carpet Coffee... MMmmm

36837859_10155289171162693_200679422032871424_o.jpg

36831842_10155289172227693_7866955626008543232_o.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/7/2018 at 12:40 PM, aja540i said:

changed the plugs in the M5, someone in its past has removed the coils, broken the tops of 2 of them, and put them back in! Destroyed them both getting them out again, so off the road until i get 2 new coils. Photo of the worst plug...

DSC_0469.thumb.JPG.296c3a37172475a6ea0b6540260bd317.JPG

You priced a kit of 8?  May be worthwhile, they’re all getting old.

7 minutes ago, Olaf said:

You priced a kit of 8?  May be worthwhile, they’re all getting old.

Im not having any Issues with misfires so not rushing to change them at the moment, have found some for reasonable prices but a kit of 8 leaves me a couple short!! :)

On 7/9/2018 at 10:14 PM, Jacko said:

Moved the 330, so I could brew up four jugs of Corolla Carpet Coffee... MMmmm

36831842_10155289172227693_7866955626008543232_o.jpg

How do you rate your coffee maker?  I am quite interested in something like this, mainly for cars.  Do you recommend?

Found a replacement for the sedan left-side grille someone had fitted to the coupe with a bit of twist tie. Unfortunately I've also learnt that the kidney grilles comprise two pieces per side (and I replaced the front part):
(1) the front, often chrome but sometimes black piece, which clips to
(2) the plastic rear moulding, which clips to the bonnet.

Sadly, most of the rear mouldings seem to have their clips broken. Both sides on the coupe do - one side is held in with mastic (or similar), so I'll be into finding a replacement pair of plastic rear parts.

4 minutes ago, turbolizard said:

How do you rate your coffee maker?  I am quite interested in something like this, mainly for cars.  Do you recommend?

Great,  the little bissell is good for small jobs like cars etc, have had it for a few years and it always just works. Its amazing how much coffee comes out of things, the corolla for instance didnt look that dirty previously.. its just the interior has changed shade a few colours!

Have a hoover standup carpet cleaner as well, and its rubbish...

• Like 1

Decided it is more cost effective to replace the m43 head with a known good one, and faster. 

Cleaned one of my spare G220s in the dark and wet. Great fun