Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

Alignment sorted Thursday 

Passed a warrant today no issues, always a good thing

Found this delightful mess in the M5 tailgate wiring, 4 exposed wires and 1 completely snapped, i'm surprised anything back there was still working!! I guess that's the rest of my weekend ....

DSC_0517.thumb.JPG.152cf926fe62c6c64a22ea9279dc4a2b.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good to see nothing changed since the boot lid wiring loom issues the E36 had then >_<

Why change a good thing eh BMW?

• Like 1

Cut, soldered, heat shrinked, and taped my afternoon away, sacrificed an old E39 wing mirror loom, finally the tailgate glass opens again!!DSC_0518.thumb.JPG.38785cda6d5e1cbd859522778d719b6a.JPG

• Like 5

Yeah, read up on the E36 problem and fix, it'll happen again unless you take specific measures.

Do BMW have a repair loom for this on the E61? They do for the E36. Looks like the same problem.

It looks like there is a repair loom available, i will be making enquiries about them next week. It is actually pretty easy to get at once you know how, but in the meantime i have made it functional and it should last a little while at least. I am also expecting that the other side will need doing.

• Like 1

I did this :D 6.396s

20181003_181027-1.jpg

• Like 1

Sonax Profiline CC36 ceramic coating, looks as shiney as wax, and not even bird sh*t sticks to it! 

43748230_10155479682347693_6513613887760236544_n.jpg

43609974_10155479682862693_3115578441978609664_o.jpg

• Like 4

Finally fixed the siren battery back up battery fault code on the 130i, only took 2 years of it bugging me :D

44113515_10155487142752693_4351932598298083328_n.jpg

44122155_10155487142667693_6067521082405945344_o.jpg

• Haha 1

Drove my new to me, moderately tickled, 335i back from Hamilton. Stoked to be back in a BMW, such a nice car to drive. Bloody good at passing too ?

vsIH1rg.jpg

• Like 6

AWESOME!  Look forward to seeing you at some events soon.

• Like 1

What's up with the watermark on the pci Kelvin? Looks like you paid the service station for a staged pic. ?

4 hours ago, M3AN said:

What's up with the watermark on the pci Kelvin? Looks like you paid the service station for a staged pic. ?

His camera needs gas?

6 hours ago, M3AN said:

Never thought of it like that, lol. its the watermark of my blog/site. Tasteslikepetrol

Edited by KwS
  • Like 1

Put in a new thermostat and gasket housing ring, what a bitch that ring was to remove.

Didn’t have to remove the whole plenum this time though so that saved a couple of hours.

Now she gets up to normal operating temperature and doesn’t run as rich anymore.

3E8145B4-AAE6-446E-8BC7-9599392AE2B9.jpeg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, BreakMyWindow said:

Put in a new thermostat and gasket housing ring

It's a bit of a job for sure... my needle runs back at 11 o'clock now and oil temp a bit lower too... more to do I think with removing all the leaves and crap out in front of the radiator... plus a new radiator...

DSC03531.JPG

DSC03523.JPG

Did you replace the gasket ring that’s pressed in to the thermostat housing?

Looking at the old one in mine it looks to have been allowing radiator coolant in to the engine before the thermostat opens, which is what caused my long coolant warm ups.

Replaced the coils, spark plugs, coil sleeves, valve cover gasket (along with the valvetronic motor, sensor and SAP plate seals) on my N52. Definitely was not a fun job at all, but I guess pretty satisfying at the finish line.20181020_171734-907x1612.thumb.jpg.ce266a29c515fe433237017e55d1cff1.jpg

• Like 1

Managed to get some car time over the long week-end in amongst the family time stuff.

Cut some more bodywork off the race-car now the fibreglass panels have arrived for it (will put pics and more info in the build thread now there is some progress). Bought some decent facemasks so i'm not breathing in so much crap whilst working in the garage. Black bogeys is never a good sign!

Had a washing frenzy as well, gave the 330d Touring a real good exterior clean as it's been sitting under a tree while I try and find some time to get it ready to sell. Supercheap finally had the Castrol Edge 5w-30 on special so I got 5L of that and now have everything ready to do the service.

As I had the water blaster out and some snow foam left over I gave the wifes 116d a quick foam and wipe down, and also my X2 fleet car got a quick foam and rinse as it's white and shows the dirt quite badly.

Then gave the wheels on the 116d a reasonable clean as they seem to attact brake dust really badly.

And now I'm knackered.

• Like 1

Put my front brakes back together, bleed the rears moved to the front only to find that.

Both cailpers are leaking from the new piston seals I put in........?

• Sad 1

E39 540i shift quality was degrading in traffic and had a very harsh downshift coming to a stop when hot. 

Took the heat exchanger off and found it clogged with light brown clay like substance and an O ring. Cleaned that all out, replaced the voltage controller on top and put new o rings on everything. 

Looking on the net this has happened to a fair number of people. 

Will do a trans filter and fluid change and she should be right as rain. 

• Like 1

Got some of that expanding Gorilla foam to fill the void between the top and bottom pieces of my new race car splitter - to give it extra strength and rigidity without adding too much weight.

Well - F#$k me that stuff goes everywhere!! Over estimated how much I needed to put in by about 300% so nearly all of it came out when I squeezed the two halves together. Then proceeded to do some kind of old school comedy act of getting stuck to everything as I tried to tape the two halves together. I should have filmed it for YouTube to show how not to do it.

But now it has cured and hardened off I am pleased with the end result. Still nice and light, and much much stiffer. Just got to work out where to put the slots (to allow for adjustment) and then I can put the CF wrap over the top to make it look like a bought one!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2