Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

I used a similar expanding foam product to fix my ACS front lip on the E36 after I drove over it. Worked a treat!

Put 90% of the front end back together over the weekend, replaced smashed/cracked fog lights in the process.

18BB5BF4-AD0A-4294-9D69-B3D1CD1B813C.thumb.jpeg.70d3512ff4b7f2b9ecfb64c83f4e2e22.jpeg

New 635i radiator for the E30 arrived today! Fitted and warmed up the engine before finding various leaks from sensors etc...worst being from the thermostat housing so rad will have to come back out again to get the housing off and resealed :(

CED6B475-F663-4884-952D-301DC39D6B99.thumb.jpeg.b1e608f6d78b4795f3d8354b117b8ee9.jpeg

Edited by Lucan
  • Like 1

Had this el-cheapo Brace turn up ~9 weeks after ordering on eBay today too, appears to fit too!

B9327AA5-8CAC-4139-B2BA-DB53D7A1C730.thumb.jpeg.be4ea2b69fbf24e4fa9516287ceb9641.jpeg8666771B-7F83-441F-A5D2-C9A8E14DD3E1.thumb.jpeg.ba925841ea9daa19a871e7b564e0405c.jpeg76BF9F50-09A6-4502-BDF0-9ABD33303A0F.thumb.jpeg.7aa33a417d0fde615f4e39bba07bac50.jpeg

Edited by Lucan
  • Like 1

Whoops, I accidentally bought another BMW!!

IMG_1710.JPG

Luckily it was only a die cast model, so not too expensive.

It was supposed to be the new E30 M3 Warsteiner race car from the Lifestyle catalogue, but I got the last digit of the part number wrong so the M1 turned up instead. I thought it was pretty cool, especially with the car details, and it it being Piquet's car so decided to keep it.

M3 is on back order so waiting for that one to arrive.

If I could stop buying stuff like this then I might be able to afford to buy a REAL E30 M3... maybe not.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Went for a drive around the block ? last night.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just pick my new toy up, heading home with it. Needs a good clean up but should come up fine

received_292388891375136.jpeg

received_1029855027202239.jpeg

received_1941729102650284.jpeg

• Like 5

Brief history as I know it at the moment, there will be more info and pics when I get time.

Guy I bought it off imported it from Japan himself. I've got the paperwork here from that, so I'll be the second NZ owner. K's are around 87k 88k. He bought it over when it had about 42k or 43k I think.

Allegedly ex Japanese PMs car, and also allegedly armour plated. Matching numbers and nearly everything complete. Reg is on hold, been parked up for a year as he used this car to take his mother on long trips, she passed away about a year ago and it's been parked up since.

Exterior needs a little work. Clear coat fade on the roof, and rear spoiler leaks a little water into the boot, no major damage there yet but want to get that sorted first.

Interior is nearly immaculate, a couple of tiny little details to sort. However it has an issue at the moment where smoke comes from under the dash when the battery is connected, so have to pull the dash and sort that.

Check engine light is also on, I'm guessing this is being caused by the dash problem, but that shouldn't be hard to sort out.

As mentioned, yes one of only 332 made. So given the price I paid (which I won't say ???) it's a bargain alright. Aim is to have it back on the road before Christmas ?.

2 hours ago, Olaf said:

wow, that's a score!  one of just 332, according to https://www.alpina-archive.com/?page_id=201 

Only if it's a genuine Alpina, and not another Japanese badges and stickers special.

The fact that it has not even got the Alpina rims on it would make me very sceptical of it being the real deal. Even if it is, putting the right wheels back on it would cost big $$$.

Pretty sure Alpina wouldn't use an armoured protection vehicle as the basis of a "sports limo", easy enough to tell if it is from the weight of the vehicle.

Will clean up to a pretty cool car with or without the provenance.

• Like 1

Pretty sure Alpina doesn't replace the boot roundel with an Alpina logo. Keen to see more pics though, they are rare as rocking horse poo in NZ.

3 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Only if it's a genuine Alpina, and not another Japanese badges and stickers special.

The fact that it has not even got the Alpina rims on it would make me very sceptical of it being the real deal. Even if it is, putting the right wheels back on it would cost big $$$.

Pretty sure Alpina wouldn't use an armoured protection vehicle as the basis of a "sports limo", easy enough to tell if it is from the weight of the vehicle.

Will clean up to a pretty cool car with or without the provenance.

Yeah fully understand your point, no arguments there. I'm 99.9% sure it is genuine. Will get more photos of the ID tag in the engine bay and other details when I get home. No idea what happened with the wheels, I will ask the guy I bought it off.

Either way though, as you said, it'll still clean up to be a good car, genuine or not. And would still be a dirt cheap bargain either way ?

• Like 1

It would do, the VIN decoder will only show how it was built by BMW, not how it ends up as an Alpina.

Carjam has got a VIN and a chassis which would also be right - one for BMW & one for Alpina.

interesting, very interesting...!

2 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Carjam has got a VIN and a chassis which would also be right - one for BMW & one for Alpina

The original registration paperwork for it shows this was first registered as a BMW. The guy mentioned at the time that NZTA had no listing for Alpina and didn't recognise them.

I'm positive the ID plate in the engine bay states it's an Alpina and gives the build number, will confirm when I'm home though.

• Like 2

pulled the engine out of an e34 to start my m50b30 stroker turbo build :). Going into the touring behind.

45285491_1803876229734557_2483789014730014720_n.jpg

• Like 2

Ok so I haven't posted more pics just yet as I said I would, been busy with other stuff (work mostly ?).

There are a couple of stickers that I'm a bit sceptical of in the engine bay they just look wrong (one says Alpina but has a barcode?), but also a couple of tags that "may" be authentic. One in the engine bay that says it's Alpina build number #15758. And another on the dashboard that says the same. These don't look like a Japanese badges special.... will upload pics when I can. Plus scans of the paperwork when it was imported.

And I've also been in touch with Alpina, for the cost of $150 I'm gonna risk it, if it turns out genuine they will give me a certificate of authenticity, plus a build sheet. So either way, that will tell us all if it is a stickers, badges and pinstriping special, or the real deal ???? 

Will see if I can upload all the pics into a project log and copy the link here to make things easier

Log has been started for those that want to ask/know more, will do my best to answer everything and keep it updated.

Edited by Mad_Max
Adding link to project log
  • Like 1

If it all turns out as you hope, that could be the best $150 you ever spend on a car!

Fingers crossed for you.

316 hit 190,000km on the way to work 

Pretty exciting stuff. 

• Like 1

Spent a couple of days this week on a farm playing with some new G05 X5s, in their (un)natural environment. Not hard-core off-roading but even with 22" rims with very wide sports tyres (315 wide on the rear) they were still pretty capable. The new air-suspension making a big difference to the ride, on and off-road.

IMG_1720.JPG

Up hill...

IMG_1724.JPG

And down dale.

IMG_1719.JPG

3Pedals would not approve, none of them were manuals, and there is no manual option for most of the range now.

• Like 2

Removed air pump and associated stuff from Miss M's 318i.

Pulled what look to be original spark plugs... ?  They are NGK platinum, but even they can get a bit tired after 100000km+. Ordered 4 more.

1 hour ago, eliongater said:

Bought another one... 

Dude - spill the beans! ?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, eliongater said:

Bought another one... 

11 hours ago, TermiPeteNZ said:

Dude - spill the beans! ?

I was lucky enough to catch up with Elijah where we discussed his latest purchase.
I'm not sure, but saying "When will you ever get a chance like this again?" may have swayed him.

It's gonna be great. 

46486165_10217931905757405_8704034598696255488_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_eui2=AeGDxbGDyjoCwHBABvDkOV8T5m2H3hjeA-eGBEwRTWTaKPQiNAjda5UHPIqPBJlmU9S-0ya4EhlOTBWEh8ILnb8yqwo6FP1eT50_ke6yUfgPOg&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1.xx&oh=f69b57a0a8d50c8693c210f1126eca37&oe=5CB08A1E

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Nothing quite that outlandish @gjm

@TermiPeteNZ it’s a 2000 330ci, factory manual, nz new, 143XXXs with AC schnitzer kit. Needs a little bit of TLC but should be fun

1A182BA4-007C-4F9F-BFD6-48023200D372.thumb.jpeg.c386f793d5c64ec87aaaa74704df3c3d.jpeg

• Like 5