Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

2 hours ago, adro said:

New WOF for the E30. 

1990’s car shot on a Hasselblad from the 80’s 

Blad.  Niiice.  Must show me that rig some day soon.

EDIT:  "Swiss shoots German in Wellington!"

Edited by Olaf
headline
  • Like 1

Haven't done much to any of the BMWs recently apart from water blast the brake dust off the 116d and X2 as I had the blaster out for the drive.

Reason being I got distracted by the arrival of my latest F1 model, my favourite ever race car - Ayrton Senna's JPS Lotus 97T. Due to the stupid PC world in which we live the models are not allowed to be made with all the period correct tobacco advertising on them. Meaning you have to buy all the "John Player Special" and "JPS" stickers seperately and then put them on. This is a prick of a job when the car is 1/43rd scale - can hardly see some of the decals, let alone get them in exactly the right place. Headache inducing stuff, especially when you have poor lighting and crap eyesight like me.

• Like 1

Flew to Wellington, conditioned the leather and got my annual drive.

4AF4417D-429B-4A1F-98B8-B7DBAADCF753.jpeg

• Like 4

I bought it in 2004 after it had been in storage for 2.5 years. Daily drove it until 2013, sold it cheap to my dad on the proviso he looked after it. Had new paint, needs a few things attended to, (like the diff that I sourced earlier this year), but is still a joy to drive. I condition the leather in my cars every 6 months, must have forgotten to tell dad and today was the first for a long time, but it came up well. Just starting to get a tiny crack in the dash, anyone have any ideas on if you can stop it?

• Like 2

Scored a right side headlight wipers and motor. Had to fit it so I don't lose any of it. Now to find a left side20181212_195922.thumb.jpg.280b9db9b78cb33bd0d29e4edf031203.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

Do they cast any shadow when the headlights are going? They look like they might interfere with the light beam a bit.

Afaik, no. But then again my car isn't running at the moment so will find out when it does

Gave back the X2 and got a F36 430i Gran Coupe M-Sport in it's place. Much more my cup of tea.

• Like 1

Pulled a oily crappy seized engine and slush box out to replace it with something a bit more interesting 

2002 318i msport touring 

Thanks

68147900-8AD0-4EAD-B40E-087B5ABDBBFF.jpeg

BE58C1D5-B304-4D06-9C59-54CA2D518DE0.jpeg

CEF46C60-7017-4C5B-B77F-BC56CB337379.jpeg

A974F371-5E34-44A3-97DD-7E09F05A0D10.jpeg

76E24C42-E26C-4328-ACF7-701481586524.jpeg

Edited by BM WORLD
  • Like 2

Cleaned 11 years worth of scum out of the window washer pump filters in the M5, surprisingly the washers all work again now, also, unrelated, i have a spare new unused washer pump if anyone needs one!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, aja540i said:

Cleaned 11 years worth of scum out of the window washer pump filters in the M5, surprisingly the washers all work again now, also, unrelated, i have a spare new unused washer pump if anyone needs one!

I am reliably informed that using the BMW washer fluid avoids the scum buildup.  Had one of mine done about 2.5 years ago (new pump, tank all cleaned out), tank still clean as a whistle, exclusively BMW fluid since.

On 12/13/2018 at 10:44 AM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Gave back the X2 and got a F36 430i Gran Coupe M-Sport in it's place. Much more my cup of tea.

win.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Olaf said:

I am reliably informed that using the BMW washer fluid avoids the scum buildup.  Had one of mine done about 2.5 years ago (new pump, tank all cleaned out), tank still clean as a whistle, exclusively BMW fluid since.

I'll bet the scum buildup is from people using dishwashing fluid, or plain water. 

28 minutes ago, Matth5 said:

I'll bet the scum buildup is from people using dishwashing fluid, or plain water. 

I always use Wurth screenwash additive, but i use raw (untreated) water so its probably some kind of toxic algae bloom!!

• Like 1

we have soft water in Wellington, so if it's not enough to move here for the AWESOME weather, there's the water too! ?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Olaf said:

we have soft water in Wellington, so if it's not enough to move here for the AWESOME weather, there's the water too! ?

washer scum still happens here. My Mini had scum in the lines the other day, despite having all new tank/lines/pump/jets recently, and using tap water and wurth washer additive.

1 hour ago, KwS said:

washer scum still happens here. My Mini had scum in the lines the other day, despite having all new tank/lines/pump/jets recently, and using tap water and wurth washer additive.

So you gotta ask yourself, was it Wurth the effort??

• Haha 3

On 12/3/2018 at 8:42 PM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Might want to check the VIRM or with a WoF inspector, but isn't it a failure if you mix and match run-flats and non-runflats on the same car? Thought it was an all or nothing thing - all four have to be one type or the other?

On 12/1/2018 at 1:55 PM, sobanoodle said:

Sweet, contemplating whether to swap the whole set all at once or do the rears now and wait for the fronts to wear off. 

Found SP Sport Maxx 050 in 275/30/20 for $399 a corner. 

Edit:  and 245/35/20 @ $350 a corner.

On 12/3/2018 at 8:58 PM, gjm said:

I think it is same axle: same rule as radials/cross-plies applies. No mixing on the axle.

It's certainly recommended that they're not mixed on the car, but maybe not a defined requirement?

Edit: https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/tyres,-wheels-and-hubs/tyres-and-wheels

You need to have 4 of all the same. If you read it thoroughly it contracts itself slightly but has a line which states all 4 must be the same

E46 washed and waxed on weekend, looking pretty, nice and shiny.

Cat jumps on it tonight and slides off putting scratches don the front guard, little prick!?

Thankfully i've got plans to get the car to auto Niche here in hams in the new years for a full paint correction.

Acquired a set of 15x7 et15 rims for the E30... Could be genuine, period BMW rims but I'll have to check on that.
Not really a good time to be doing such things, but I have a couple of things up my sleeve to cover the (small) expense.

On 12/17/2018 at 10:20 PM, Gaz said:

You need to have 4 of all the same. If you read it thoroughly it contracts itself slightly but has a line which states all 4 must be the same

I tried hard, and could not reach that concusion.  It only specifies same per axle.

11 hours ago, Olaf said:

I tried hard, and could not reach that concusion.  It only specifies same per axle.

2. All the tyres on a vehicle class MA, MB, MD1 or NA that was first registered or re-registered in New Zealand from 1 October 2002, other than vehicles that are incapable of exceeding 30km/h or are 30 years old or more, are not of the same carcass type (ie mixed steel ply, fabric radial ply, bias/cross ply, run-flat).

okay, though this doesn't specify they must be the same, yeah?  Only that you can't mix carcass types (on vehicles rego'd in NZ after 1 Oct 2002); so they all must be runflats, or steel belted radials, etc etc.  Or have I missed something?

so:  same tyres on each axle, and all tyres must be of the same carcass type.  Have I got this right?

yeah thats right

• Thanks 1