Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

Replaced my long broken and held in with double sided tape kidney grills on the e46 with matte black grilles. Looks pretty slick as an alternative to the chrome look she came with. 

Replaced front brakes on wifes X3

Brembo front pads and  Brembo rotors for $324 NZD shipped 

30 mins a side no problem.

Replaced the waterpump on Miss M's car. Bit more of a mission than anticipated courtesy of previous attempted work... But we got there. It runs. It warms up. It doesn't rattle like it did.

Took my baby for a spin down to Cambridge for breakfast, stayed for lunch.

She enjoyed state highway 18 and 1B.

• Like 1

Pulled the steering rack out the 328... boy that's a messy job!

• Like 1

Took the 'vert on the BMWCC run down to Port Waikato. Lovely day for it and a great drive to a cool cafe.

After an issue with one of the tyres on the Alpina rims presented a problem and required a last minute swap of all 4 wheels and tyres over to my race rims everything ran smoothly.

One hundred and fourty mile round trip in good weather and never missed a beat, very relieved and very happy. Did more miles in one day than over the last three or four years. I do really need to use this car more.

• Like 4

Found a dirty great about 3 inches long gouge on the face of one of my wheels. Looks like something has hit it. Almost straight out from the lug nut hole. 

I am very mindful about curbing them so I know it's not that and they have a concave. Frustrating to say the least. 

Weirder yet was the area around the mark was distant free, yet the wheels are very distu so stood out like the dogs proverbials.  

Wheel magician time me thinks. 

• Sad 1

Have had a code sitting in the ECU (not CEL) for ages 2B59 which is apparently thermostat.  Also this appears to be a cause for poor fuel consumption.  Have ordered the parts to replace. 

Going to be simultaneously awesome and frustrating if it turns out to improve my fuel consumption if it has been bad for the last two years >_<.

Edited by GorGasm

E60 M5.  Consumption is generally over 18l/100km.  Down to about 14 or 15 on a long out of town drive.

Edited by GorGasm

4 minutes ago, B.M.W Ltd said:

That's a real challenge 

Very, especially if you are doing the coolant temp sensor as well

I have just done the idle actuator, which while taking a reasonable amount of time, wasn't actually too hard.  I'm fairly speedy at removing the plenums now :) which means I'm not too worried about doing the thermostat.

Edited by GorGasm

6 hours ago, GorGasm said:

Have had a code sitting in the ECU (not CEL) for ages 2B59 which is apparently thermostat.  Also this appears to be a cause for poor fuel consumption.  Have ordered the parts to replace. 

Going to be simultaneously awesome and frustrating if it turns out to improve my fuel consumption if it has been bad for the last two years >_<.

I've had the thermostat replaced in my 545i, X5 and E60 M5 … ? 

I had a low RPM stall issue in the M5 and it had thermostat codes so in went the new one. Don't think I've noticed a change in fuel consumption in any of the 3 vehicles... so don't get your hopes up! :) 

Yeah, it won't be the end of the world if it doesn't do anything other than clear the ECU code.  Consumption at the moment is ridiculous though.

1 hour ago, GorGasm said:

Yeah, it won't be the end of the world if it doesn't do anything other than clear the ECU code.  Consumption at the moment is ridiculous though.

E60M5 Life...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GorGasm said:

If the thermostat is stuck open, then in theory it should improve consumption as the idle will be lower as the engine reaches optimal running temp faster

3 hours ago, Gaz said:

If the thermostat is stuck open, then in theory it should improve consumption as the idle will be lower as the engine reaches optimal running temp faster

How does it reach temp faster with the coolant circulating through the radiator?

I guess he means if it were stuck open now, fixing it would result in reaching temp quicker this better economy? Otherwise, no. 

39 minutes ago, aja540i said:

How does it reach temp faster with the coolant circulating through the radiator?

Thermostat is closed until it reaches temp then opens and closes to maintain running temperature. When it is closed, the car will idle and run a little richer to help generate heat. Since the thermostat is open, there is alot more coolant to heat meaning it is slower to reach temperature and longer time spent in the 'warm up' phase

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Thermostat is closed until it reaches temp then opens and closes to maintain running temperature. When it is closed, the car will idle and run a little richer to help generate heat. Since the thermostat is open, there is alot more coolant to heat meaning it is slower to reach temperature and longer time spent in the 'warm up' phase

So you mean if the thermostat is open then fixing it will improve the economy, I misunderstood you first time around!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

I hear Prius' get pretty good fuel economy.

You could duct tape 8 of them together, and still be slower than an E60 M5.

• Haha 2

I took the wifes car to BM Workshop to have the timing and P0015 code looked at. I can have my Passat 3.2 back then.