Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

Let it inside on the carpet ? 

59942408_10155887075257693_2028303760144465920_o.jpg

59951837_10155887074702693_3100950732556206080_o.jpg

• Like 2

Looks like a nice garage for car dollies

13 hours ago, hqstu said:

Keen to see how the parcel tray goes.  We need an e39 meet up in my driveway :)

I sprayed dyed yours. Does it need doing again? How'd you get on with the fuel leak, too?

4 hours ago, Jacko said:

Let it inside on the carpet ? 

I hope it’s house trained and doesn’t make a mess on the carpet?

10 hours ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

I sprayed dyed yours. Does it need doing again? How'd you get on with the fuel leak, too? 

No it's the M5 that needs doing, have bought some spray dye as well but my first issue is the 530 fuel leak... about to drop out wheel arch liner and evap tank etc to try and see if I can wiggle out the plastic pipe lines etc hopefully to see which one is at fault.  If I can't do it at home then it's off to Kerry's to drop fuel tank out...  It's only seems to be an issue the next day start following a long drive... nothing in short day to day stuff...

Finished painting the new to me shed floor, my excellent missus chucked some nice LED light tubes in the roof and I'm pretty happy. 

I even let the 316 have a look inside before I bring the race car home 

20190512_162157.jpg

• Like 4

On 5/10/2019 at 6:21 PM, M3AN said:

But the seat covers... ?

Aaaaand they are gone. 

Looks, smells and feels way better, feels like I'm in the seats now, not on them. 

20190512_132442.jpg

• Like 3

that bottom lip looks amazing! 

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top
quoting prev post

Finally got back to working on the race car - hoo-rah.

Nothing interesting though, filling and sanding FRP panels, joy. So far have made one big pile of pink and white snow.

Gave it a clean at 260k on the odo. Another 40k and it'll be broken in. 

60351711_10155903556097693_4045797946598359040_n.jpg

60360028_10155903831197693_5086652196695572480_o.jpg

Edited by Jacko
  • Like 3

On 5/11/2019 at 7:38 AM, hqstu said:

Keen to see how the parcel tray goes.  We need an e39 meet up in my driveway :)

Todays mission, paint faded rear deck and install child seat top anchors. 
Now wait a week for the paint stench to disappear before full reassembly.

Keen for that meet up Stu. ?

20190525_115951.jpg

20190525_120259.jpg

20190525_130012.jpg

20190525_120232.jpg

• Like 1

Today...

1. 328 didn't start
  2. Computer says cam position sensor
  3. Zebra says $15
  4. Dave says 'yes'
  5. 328 starts
  6. Win

?

Edit... fail, see below...

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Installed a donor car in to the garage

Cleaned the 316 which will become the race car chassis 

Cleaned the x5 too, just because 

Spat on the 520 and told it I hate it. 

Opened the bonnet on the morris, nothing to report there 

20190526_164133.jpg

20190526_164153.jpg

20190526_164213.jpg

• Like 4

On 5/25/2019 at 4:11 PM, M3AN said:

Today...

1. 328 didn't start
  3. Zebra says $15
  4. Dave says 'yes'
  5. 328 starts
  6. Win

?

Reset...

1. 328 doesn't start

?

So it's unlikely that both sensors aren't working... and doesn't explain why the car started (about 5 times) as soon as I put the new (used) sensor in. Also the car that the second sensor came out of didn't crash because of a faulty CPS.

So, perhaps it's something upstream of the sensor? Will need to wait until next weekend I'm afraid.

Open to suggestions...

Dicky plug/wiring?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, M3AN said:

Reset...

1. 328 doesn't start

?

So it's unlikely that both sensors aren't working... and doesn't explain why the car started (about 5 times) as soon as I put the new (used) sensor in. Also the car that the second sensor came out of didn't crash because of a faulty CPS.

So, perhaps it's something upstream of the sensor? Will need to wait until next weekend I'm afraid.

Open to suggestions...

What else did computer say about the cps ? Sporadic error ? etc ? May give clues.

• Like 1

It may be wiring, apparently they break down under the insulation... I only learned that after I'd put it in... need to remove it to check. having said that it did seem in really good condition visually, it was also very clean (unlike my original one).

It's a static error (#65), always present, always 1 occurrence, clear it and it comes back as soon as I attempt to start the car... I've got a screenshot at home but one of the sub messages was 'emissions related' which made no sense (it's on the intake cam)... but the same section also say that the error occurred at xxx rpm which is wrong (because zero rpm) so I'm not sure how much i can trust the info in that section.

Error 65 is very common apparently. I had that error on the old one, the same error when the car started fine with the "new" one and again, the same error and now the car won't start (exactly as per the first time).

The test procedure looks like a real PITA... need to remove the DME which is really difficult on a RHD car.

Edited by M3AN

Changed the original 92 325 rack to the E46 purple - old rack was buggered with bad ends and a lot of play in the rh end of the rack.

Also changed the rear muffler mounts to M3 ones due to the old 325 ones splitting and the muffler dropping down about 30mm. The M3 Evo exhaust appears to be much heavier than the original 325 exhaust and the hangers let go.

Front sway bar links replaced due to being flogged-out. Both front hubs replaced due to stripping the thread out of the front left hubs when removing a wheel-nut. Also new front rotors and pads.

The B12 kit refurb is finished at Raceline and on the courier today. Will put it in as soon as the shock towers are repainted and springs assembled. Should lower the front about 30mm.

Hopefully that will be it or a while - need to recover some $$$.

Replaced voltage regulator last night in the M5.  Cleared all the spaz codes it was throwing and the car started up all good.

Got 50 metres down the road this morning and up comes 5DF0 ABS pump failure, reset codes a few times but it comes straight back.  BMW parts are such a bastard, it would be fine if they died and didn't cost the moon, but the ABS pump retails for $3000 US, it's not just an M5 thing either, the 130i had the same issue.  FML.

• Sad 1

Nah, I had a 2 yr warranty on it and nothing failed in that time.  Waste of $4400.

Warranty's on these things can often be a total waste.  Cost $500 to access the warranty, plus the warranty purchase cost, so you are gonna need some monster repairs to get value out of it.

Normal cars where the warranty is $1800 for 4yrs make sense to me.

I have booked it in to have someone remove/repair the pump before replacing it.  My 130i repair cost about $800 all up for the same job when the price on the pump alone was $2500.  I could probably do the job myself but I just don't have any time to work on cars anymore with 2 kiddies running around.

I feel your pain Logan, esp re lack of time with kids running round...

Changed the spark plugs on the Mazda yesterday while I ignored the BMW, see BMW's can be very reliable if you just don't drive them ?

Although that is about the beginning and end of easy service items to do on that car...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

58 minutes ago, GorGasm said:

Nah, I had a 2 yr warranty on it and nothing failed in that time.  Waste of $4400.

Warranty's on these things can often be a total waste.  Cost $500 to access the warranty, plus the warranty purchase cost, so you are gonna need some monster repairs to get value out of it.

i've always had this opinion since my first and only experience with mechanical warranty on the mercedes e class I used to have. it cost somewhere around $3000 for 3 years, had 1 issue with the fuel pump that would have cost me $2000 out of pocket but instead a $500 excess. BUT, I had to get my oil services done professionally $3-400 instead of $100-150 it costs me to DIY at home, and as part of the mechanical warranty they require you to do a trans service which cost me $600 or so.  so after all that, i was actually probably worse off or about the same as if I had just kept the money for the warranty in a spare bank account and used it as required. Of course, if something even more major happened then I would have been better off but the car had only done 50,000kms at the time so what could possibly go wrong?

I didnt buy mech warranty for my M135 but in the end had to fork out over 3k in repairs for water pump and valvetronic etc so maybe I should have gotten the warranty but still, the higher servicing costs and headaches associated with it steers me towards the road of not going for the warranty despite all thats happened.

• Like 1

Yeah I forgot about the oil/trans servicing requirements on top of that. 

Maserati warranty is also moonbeams.  I have an internal invoice for a $10k repair just done on my new car for the equivalent of the VANOS solenoids.  Eek.