Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

45 minutes ago, GorGasm said:

Yeah I forgot about the oil/trans servicing requirements on top of that. 

Maserati warranty is also moonbeams.  I have an internal invoice for a $10k repair just done on my new car for the equivalent of the VANOS solenoids.  Eek.

aha, eek is right!

All the best for your new car ownership. saw it on GP and looks slick as hell.

• Thanks 1

Had an oil pan gasket replaced today at Coombes, now the E39 will stop dripping vital life juices all over the garage.

While the car was there i had them check all suspension tensions, fittings and alignment - the car have been 5mm up on spec and 5mm down on spec height right t left. So while each corner was technically "in spec" the car as a whole looked on the piss.

After some adjusting and proper tensioning the car is now much more even, only being 5mm out from L to R. Main difference here being worn spring pads in front and rear right hand side and a slightly odd shaped strut top mount front right :huh:.

So the pads are next on the list along with some new rear control arms to silence a donk donk i'm hearing with the rear seats out (while i still complete my child harness project) This good to still have it in bits however as any rear strut access must be done from underneath the parcel shelf -

Edited by hunter
spelling
  • Like 1

BMW(s)...
Mrs M's Baur has a WoF but will get a trans fluid (and filter) change, and further review of front suspension. I'm just not happy with it - replaced the shocks and struts which has certainly improved things, but there is still something not right.
Miss M's 318i will get a set of E90 16x7 rims, and also get trans fluid sorted. 

In other news, the Mercedes - W201 and W126 - both have fresh WoFs. W201 will get brake overhaul, perhaps new discs, and caliper rebuilds. IMO it needs a tie rod and a front wheel bearing adjustment, and it certainly needs a pulley bearing squeak investigating. Hoping it's not the waterpump - I replaced that not so many kms ago.
W126 has had new brake pads all round and will get discs in due course - they're legal but worn and should be changed. Needs a sunroof seal, too.

Got my GROM bluetooth receiver as a Birthday present to myself and installed it today in the E39. Similar to @BozzaFCand @adro

Install was pretty sweet. getting the tape player back in was a proper mission thanks to the fat loom and additional new wires, got there in the end and now have full bluetooth and no CD changer. 

Have put the hands free mic on hold for now until can be arsed running it behind the drivers side dash panel etc. 

Next, BAVSOUND speaker install. Direct fit goodness. Had these in my e46 and they were great. 

20190531_122026.jpg

20190531_122024.jpg

Edited by hunter
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, hunter said:

Got my GROM bluetooth receiver as a Birthday present to myself and installed it today in the E39. Similar to @BozzaFCand @adro

Install was pretty sweet. getting the tape player back in was a proper mission thanks to the fat loom and additional new wires, got there in the end and now have full bluetooth and no CD changer. 

Have put the hands free mic on hold for now until can be arsed running it behind the drivers side dash panel etc. 

Next, BAVSOUND speaker install. Direct fit goodness. Had these in my e46 and they were great. 

Nice! Mine doesn't play so nice with the stereo to send track names through, I'm still looking for the CD43 upgrade as I think that may do it...

7 minutes ago, tawa said:

Nice! Mine doesn't play so nice with the stereo to send track names through, I'm still looking for the CD43 upgrade as I think that may do it...

Interesting,  do you have the bts3, and a high dash, or low dash mid display, may be that could be a factor. 

7 hours ago, hunter said:

Next, BAVSOUND speaker install. Direct fit goodness. Had these in my e46 and they were great

Nice! Keep us up to date on the sound system changes 

Will do mate. Have the rears in now, doors in coming weekends. 

The rear fill is noticeabley better already. Am looking forward to getting the other 6 speakers in up front. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BozzaFC said:

Are they BAVSOUND? Does yours just the base stereo? 

Yup. Bavsound. based in my chassis infor I sent them I have the standard stereo, so their e39 stage 1 is the package to go for. 

Investigating a bump/thump/clunk type noise fromt eh front suspension on Mrs M's Baur. (Until it started pouring with rain.)

Had to park on a slope for a while - came back and there's a small oil slick running from under the car! Checked parking positions and nothing more than the tiniest of spots. ?

Could it be that being parked on a slope was enough to cause the leak?

We have a spare sump gasket... Waiting for us in Hawke's Bay. :(

55 minutes ago, gjm said:

Investigating a bump/thump/clunk type noise fromt eh front suspension on Mrs M's Baur. (Until it started pouring with rain.)

Had to park on a slope for a while - came back and there's a small oil slick running from under the car! Checked parking positions and nothing more than the tiniest of spots. ?

Could it be that being parked on a slope was enough to cause the leak?

We have a spare sump gasket... Waiting for us in Hawke's Bay. :(

Are you sure it's leaking from the sump? If the input shaft on the diff needs replacing they'll drip only when pointed nose down... the leak can drip off the driveshaft rather than the diff itself.

8 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Are you sure it's leaking from the sump? If the input shaft on the diff needs replacing they'll drip only when pointed nose down... the leak can drip off the driveshaft rather than the diff itself.

This was nose-up and definitely leaking from the front.

Okay. It would be pretty unusual for gravity to be sufficient to cause a leak in a pressurised system if it's not leaking when it's running.

Or to put it another way, if gravity is sufficient to cause it to leak I'd expect it to piss out under pressure.

Could just be where it's leaking from that when you are on a flat it pools in the subframe or somewhere 

2 hours ago, M3AN said:

Okay. It would be pretty unusual for gravity to be sufficient to cause a leak in a pressurised system if it's not leaking when it's running.

Or to put it another way, if gravity is sufficient to cause it to leak I'd expect it to piss out under pressure.

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Could just be where it's leaking from that when you are on a flat it pools in the subframe or somewhere 

Aye.
It's a funny one, and no mistake. As far as I know it has been fine for... well, months. No significant oil loss, no signs of oil leaking.
Not seen anything quite like it since I overfilled an automatic gearbox without cycling through the gears...

Changed the trans fluid on Mrs M's Baur. Trans sump was clean and free of any debris - fluid was pretty dirty.

Certainly makes a difference. I suspect the trans may have been slipping a little, but consistently so that it wasn't immediately evident. There seems to be a more direct correlation between pressing the accelerator and forward motion. Changes smoother, too.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2019 at 5:05 PM, Young Thrash Driver said:

Made a clock from leftovers.

20190605_165649.jpg

Tells great time, too.  It’s Beer O’clock!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Olaf said:

Tells great time, too.  It’s Beer O’clock!

Wut? ?

That clock is not reading 11!

• Haha 1

On 5/31/2019 at 6:44 PM, hunter said:

Interesting,  do you have the bts3, and a high dash, or low dash mid display, may be that could be a factor. 

No I have the USB3, with the bluetooth dongle, low dash Mid, I expect it's the stereo version as it connects directly to it.

More like 'What did Jon at Auto38 do to your BMW today?' (great service and communication btw) -> new (to me) OEM towbar installed! 

VkZvOXVoS1KxYdSLTYmAdw.jpg

• Like 4

Finally finished fitting all new suspension arms to the front of the M5, took it on the motorway for a test run, had a mild panic attack, went home, tightened the wheel bolts properly, went for another test run, all good!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Sold / gave away lots and lots of E30 bits. Can't sensibly take them with us to Hawke's Bay.

?