Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

Think I saw you tonight, approx 5 zooming around the tristram and thackery st round about. 

I was In the silver e39

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top
Quoting prev post

On 6/25/2019 at 12:39 PM, dirtydoogle said:

I have four e36s and I am definitely a moron 

And you convinced me to buy two...

How about we compromise and just call us 'morons with taste'...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hunter said:

Think I saw you tonight, approx 5 zooming around the tristram and thackery st round about. 

I was In the silver e39

True, i dont recall seeing an E39 but silver probably didnt help.

1 hour ago, tawa said:

And you convinced me to buy two...

How about we compromise and just call us 'morons with taste'...

I can go with that 

Today I order two rear tyres for the x5. And it has decided to split a cv boot up front. 

Checked it all over on the hoist and then gave it a vacuum, enjoyed the new gear knob, the old one was a bit poo from someone's engagement ring 

Got some sweet tints in the E39

It's all coming together,  just need a full paint correction & detail now. 

• Like 1

Had a little fun in the paddock on Friday night with an E36 sedan, ran into a small cooling problem (surprise surprise) and slightly overheated it. Think I need to replace the fan belt then should be good to go a bit longer. Or can anyone else suggest what else could have caused the temp gauge to rise so high?

IMG_20190629_003951.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Finally installed the Bilstein B12 kit today. It's dropped the front by 50mm and rear by 10mm so the car is much better balanced in looks. Before, at the front, there was about a 40mm gap from the top of the tyre to the guard, now it's 10mm up inside. The rear was previously flush with the guard and now it's also 10mm inside. Wheel alignment tomorrow... The ride is actually nicer too - softer on the bumps but stiffer in corners.

I didn't think the B12 kit lowered the front by as much as it has. Maybe because mine's a 92 coupe with the 1st gen front struts which have different top hats - might be taller.

My diff has also given up (I think that's what it is). That will also get changed tomorrow. Will be changing from 3.07 to 3.46 because I'm not happy with the gear change points with the 3.07. It's great to be able to do 100 in 2nd but it puts normal driving shift points at the wrong speeds for most corners.

• Like 1

Finally got the time to install the last of my Bavsound speaker upgrade, the front components (tweers and larger drivers, mid range is left standard)

Taking the drivers door card off would also hopefully allow me to address the rattle coming from inside the door, this turnd out to be one of the metal clips that hold the window strip at the top of the door, had come off. Some how.

Got the speakers in no worries, direct fit so was easy install. 

It wasnt until i did the passenger door i noticed the wiring between the 2 doors was different! upon closer inspection (after removing the drivers door card again (gah)) i noted the on the drivers side the mid range and the pinch sensor wire were plugged into the wrong spots( from previous owner / whichever did the work, I just plugged in where unplugged ), so the mid range wasnt actually working!

I reversed this and all is well 

Finished passenger door and auditioned thesystem properly before putting it all back together this time.

Once all back together the sounds is so much clearer high highs, lower lows all from factor fitment upgrades. I had this system in my e46 and loved it there also.

Now once my GROM audio replacement PCB arrvies to stop the persistent humm and whine from AUX Bluetooth mode i'll be set! Or maye i'll get an amp to add a bt more ooomph.

Edit: now the window plug is back in the right place the automatic window close is now working again. Woot. 

Edited by hunter
correct horrible spelling
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, hunter said:

Finally got the time to install the last of my Bavsound speaker upgrade, the front components (tweers and larger drivers, mid range is left standard)

Once all back together the sounds is so much clearer high highs, lower lows all from factor fitment upgrades. I had this system in my e46 and loved it there also.

Great work!  Here's your theme tune, though the underlying message is rather different.   I've often been tempted by Bavsound, always wondered if their systems really worked *musically* (as opposed to HiFi), or if they were trading on the solid marketing, great ease of fitment and packaging of their product.  Would love to hear your system, given opportunity.

• Like 1

To me, it works musically beyond the marketing and tidy boxes. The clarity is great, sure there will be better systems out there but for what I want its perfect. , I usually buy from bavsound when speakers are on sale making it extra competitive without the extra labor quoted by local installer to fix something like a Focal set up.l, which would need extra brackets and crap. 

I see you're in Wellington,  If you're coming to Tokaanu in March next year, I'll give you a demo. 

• Like 1

Game on!  

Got my new GROM audio pcb today to replace the one that constantly emits a high frequency whine during playback. the new pcb is a direct replacement in the plastic housing. Put it in the car, good playback with no whine. 

However upon attempting to exit the car the passenger front door doesn't open from the inside. Must have bumped a cable loose when doing speakers 

Fixed the cable, it had slipped out of the guide, very loose in the guide and fell out again when putting foor card back in place. To remedy this I loosely affixed some tape around the guide to stop the cable falling out while putting the handle back in place. Worked a treat, my passenger now no longer needs full time chauffer treatment. 

Not a BMW at all, but put a new clutch in this  new brakes and such and started detailing it for my uncle. 

I missed my one during the first 10 minutes of driving. And then I remembered a sorted e36 is more fun. 

I also got some red cloth e36 sport seats and started a clean up on those. I'll go get a pic 

20190715_100407.jpg

• Like 1

Not mine, but fixing friends jap import e90 325. Oil leaks and butchery everywhere :( 

67126212_10156038546092693_5744764589443121152_o.jpg

67119812_10156038844667693_6415043022517436416_n.jpg

67080188_10156038836022693_3724476827410890752_o.jpg

67553182_10156038819747693_4635835129179144192_o.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting, N52 speed holes...

67621068_10156038982072693_4487565230259306496_o.jpg

67151572_10156038981732693_5209243100332949504_o.jpg

67200503_10156038981547693_8728078074727366656_o.jpg

I didn't do anything but I let a mate take my 325 to the car club for a hoon and the silly old car decided coolant wasn't it's thing

I guess that's part of the e36 game, I didn't really have time to test the car properly and I have a complete hose kit for it but didn't fit it ?

imagejpeg_2(1).jpg

imagejpeg_2.jpg

• Sad 1

Spent most of the week-end moving wheels and tyres between various BMWs, taking my race wheels and semi-slicks off the 'vert while it's parked up over winter and putting the Alpina reps with the knackered tyres back on it - two of which were on the race car, swapped some bigger wheels on the wife's 116d to see what they look like and if they rub, had to take the front wheel off the wagon to change over the brake wear sensor.

Sneaky new design (different from the E30 to the E46 - so not really "new"), means you HAVE to replace the sensor or the light on the dash doesn't go out, grr. No more putting the slightly worn old one back in.

And scraped some more underseal off the race car, so it'll be nice and light.. lol.

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top
Spelling.
  • Like 1

Changed out the sill trim today on all 4 doors...

DSCN0167.JPG

DSCN0164.JPG

DSCN0168.JPG

• Like 3

Also changed out the ebox cooling fan, not a difficult job after several months of procrastinating...

DSCN0170.JPG

DSCN0171.JPG

DSCN0172.JPG

Now back to the clubsport...

DSCN0150.JPG

DSCN0152.JPG

DSCN0154.JPG

DSCN0160.JPG

• Like 6

Wow that’s coming up well!

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Hacked out all the rot with a dremel, coils now fit... Hopefully it lasts another round!

Patient survived surgery, no oil leaks from the new gaskets... Valvetronic limits reset, and discovered it has 91 octane in the tank after reseting the DME adaptations and trying to accelerate.. Can literally feel the DME recoiling in horror as it pulls timing to stop detonation..

Also dumped 8 litres of crude out of the sump, may explain the oil leaks...

67378796_10156045040197693_2545796093237526528_o.jpg

67244980_10156045037137693_6415982194426118144_o.jpg

67232293_10156045036557693_4503145743816589312_o (1).jpg

• Like 2