Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

15 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Accepted that the half shafts aren't coming off the diff

I thought the bearings might take 2 days max, lol. But I am learning a lot about brute force.

Why aren't they coming off the diff? Are you having trouble getting the bolts undone? Cost of a courier each way I'll happily send you my E sockets that will do it, 3/8" drive, if that'll make life easier for you.

21 minutes ago, Mad_Max said:

Why aren't they coming off the diff? Are you having trouble getting the bolts undone? Cost of a courier each way I'll happily send you my E sockets that will do it, 3/8" drive, if that'll make life easier for you.

Thank you for the offer.

I have the socket, it's just that this car has spent a previous life in a swamp, they're not coming off without destroying the boots for more purchase, leverage or heat. Getting a few out without destroying anything might be fine but there's no way all 12 will come out.

It's not helping that both axles spin freely now... lol.

I've accepted this will take a few weekends now and, as long as I can get them off without trouble, am happy to remove the rear arms - shocks, springs and swaybar are all already out (I was replacing the shocks anyway).

Edited by M3AN

Removed all brake calipers and brackets off the vehicle to wire brush and sand the crap out of them before I paint them.

Only done one bracket and the quantity of brake dust is insane

DSC_0280.JPG

15684537653132609582063100452103.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

Thank you for the offer.

I have the socket, it's just that this car has spent a previous life in a swamp, they're not coming off without destroying the boots for more purchase, leverage or heat. Getting a few out without destroying anything might be fine but there's no way all 12 will come out.

I've accepted this will take a few weekends now and, as long as I can get them off without trouble, am happy to remove the rear arms - shocks, springs and swaybar are all already out (I was replacing the shocks anyway).

Dave, putting the car in gear will help. I have the tools to get the torx bolts off - let me know and I'll stop by tommorrow and give you a hand.

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

Yeah i was wondering how you were going to crack them when i saw the handbrake shoes removed. A decent compact impact should work if you could make one appear. 

8 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Yeah i was wondering how you were going to crack them when i saw the handbrake shoes removed. A decent compact impact should work if you could make one appear. 

I have used a big impact with extension pieces, but I prefer to use a big cheater bar as Im scared of damaging the torx heads.

Washed all the mud and cowshit off its underside. 

69994334_10156153606067693_2772695985669799936_o.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, zero said:

I have used a big impact with extension pieces, but I prefer to use a big cheater bar as Im scared of damaging the torx heads.

Indeed. I do wind them out and torque them back in most of the way with my M12 ratchet once they are loosened 

13 hours ago, zero said:

Dave, putting the car in gear will help. I have the tools to get the torx bolts off - let me know and I'll stop by tommorrow and give you a hand.

Just tried to PM you - "Zero can't receive messages".

So...

Hey mate and thanks for the offer of assistance.

I'll be working on the car today if the weather keeps having a few fine patches. If you have time to swing by in the early afternoon I'm open to any advice you have.

Access is easy at the moment, springs, shocks and swaybar are all out. I'm going to mark out the trailing arm mounting position but I won't loosen them if you do have the time to pop over. Having said that, since I've already accepted I'll do the front shocks as well, requiring an alignment anyway, it make even be easier to do the rear with the arms out?

Cheers.

Dave

Pow... 

Arm out...

RearArmOut.jpg

Removing bearing...

PullingBearing.jpg

Reckon I can reuse this...

OldBearing.jpg

Ahh...

NewBearingIn.jpg

And an extra thanks to Nathan (@zero) for coming around and doing the other side for me whilst I put this one back in!

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 3

Decided it's time to sell the M5.  Anyone want a good condition E60 M5?

IMG_1979a.thumb.jpg.516c4d78c5a17892bd842575084fcb58.jpg

13 minutes ago, GorGasm said:

Do I want? Oh hell yes................

Can I afford at this point in time? Ah F**K no, damnit.

Hahaha

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GorGasm said:

Yeah I like it and all, but that cabbage tree mural on the side is a bit much for me, eh? ?

• Haha 2

24561DC5-90D6-417B-8B5C-A7431BED0436.thumb.jpeg.24a5fbdbfd36efbdb343c133dfbd144f.jpeg

Replaced the number plate.. should’ve washed car first and straighten it before taking photo lol

Edited by Secniv
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Secniv said:

Replaced the number plate.. should’ve washed car first and straighten it before taking photo lol

Sure that can't be mounted any lower? Looks like it's in the wrong place...

28 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Sure that can't be mounted any lower? Looks like it's in the wrong place...

Na its just a little crooked, about 3mm too low on the right hand side lol

17 minutes ago, Mad_Max said:

Na its just a little crooked, about 3mm too low on the right hand side lol

I reckon it's crooked and high, I think it should be vertically centred in the recess... might be wrong but aesthetically it doesn't suit me.

But anyway...

With the help of Nathan (@zero) I reassembled the rear end of the 328 today with new wheel bearings and shocks. That whole job was a total PITA, I don't think I'd do it again, I'd probably take it to a shop. Would still be working on it if it wasn't for Nathan so thanks mate!

Pro tip 1: you do NOT need to remove the half shafts if that's going to be difficult for you, mark the camber bolt and remove the upper and lower arms from the spindle and you'll be able to lever the arm using the flex the RTAB gives you so the axle stub can be removed.

Pro tip 2: reinstall the handbrake shoe assembly BEFORE putting the hub back on. Ask us how we know.

Now to the new front shocks have to go in, then the 3rd alignment in 18 months and we're good to get a warrant. Don't you love "cheap" cars?

Almost brand new from the inside out.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 3

New front OE (Sachs) M3 shocks went into the 328 today thanks to the assistance from Conor (@BatMansWilly) - yes my driveway is a BMW enthusiasts' turnstile, there often 3 or more parked up in various states of repair. 

Now that was much easier than the wheel hubs lol. So warrant and alignment and she's back on the road, and fresher than before. I might not be able to give her up so quickly now!

On 9/21/2019 at 8:44 AM, KwS said:

Wait, you have a B5? How did i miss this?

Idk.. maybe never read my profile haha

On 9/21/2019 at 3:54 PM, Blackie said:

El pain in the arse??

You’ll need to explain that comment?