Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

On 9/21/2019 at 7:14 PM, M3AN said:

Sure that can't be mounted any lower? Looks like it's in the wrong place...

There’s a curved recess which the plate sits in so not much room to move.. Prob could remove tabs on surround and reposition but never occurred to me as a problem. All lined up now.

• Like 1

Technically did it yesterday, picked up the new one...... whilst on the hunt for a Touring, stumbled across a (relatively) local '06 X5 diesel...... pretty damn straight and tidy, been well serviced and maintained. Higher k's but couldn't say no at the price I got it for lol. Couple of minor issues to sort but nothing needs done right now apart from a good clean inside.

Good timing too, as the Primevil daily is now pretty much undriveable hahaha.

Removed the AU falcon from the 130, came out pretty nice, pretty solid dent but luckily not sharp. 

70501960_10156179632582693_7413347589958926336_o.jpg

71019485_10156179632992693_322075001912033280_o.jpg

71321781_10156179637542693_8203612845049380864_o.jpg

71691458_10156179632102693_3978238252766199808_o (1).jpg

• Like 3

Dropped the car off at the panelbeaters.

?  guess I'm in Minnie me for the coffee meet .

• Like 1

You'll probably need to use sticky track tyres now! ?

• Like 3

Replaced the side cover and sump gaskets on the gearbox along with giving it a birthday with new filters and oil.

Filters and sump gasket is easy enough, side cover.....glad I won't be doing that again.

I got a warrant for black beauty! So all that swearing and blood spilled on the driveway was worth it in the end!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, M3AN said:

I got a warrant for black beauty! So all that swearing and blood spilled on the driveway was worth it in the end!

Oh good s**t, yeah just in time for the weekend too...... so given that today is POETS day, crack a beer and celebrate the hard work, well done.

• Thanks 1

Took my F22 into Bridgestone to fix a slow leak on left rear. They said they couldn't do it right then, so I said, fine, I leave it with you, you call me when done. 

4:15pm rolls around with no call, so I wander over to see if they are done fixing the puncture. Walk up to reception, tell them I'm there to pick up the black F22. Reception guy says "let me get someone else to help you" as he quickly walks off to get someone else. 

Someone else turns up and says "Hi, I need to show you something". I say as I follow him out, expecting to be told that I need to buy a new Michelin Pilot Super Sport, "I don't like being told I need to be shown something"!

We walk out to my car, only to be shown instead a dented passenger door and rear wheel arch and a scratched up side skirt. At that point I'd happily have needed to buy a new tyre instead. Somehow someone had driven the side of my car into the back of a white Toyota Corolla.

What did I do to my BMW today?  Spent an hour making an insurance claim for damage when I wasn't even driving the car.

• Sad 3

Hang on a sec, why are you making an insurance claim @Spudooli?

Surely they've accepted responsibility so they need to make the claim... you just need to advise your insurer and do nothing else. Don't claim on your policy whatever you do!

Edited by M3AN

you still need to make a claim with your insurance company,they will pursue the other parties

6 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Hang on a sec, why are you making an insurance claim @Spudooli?

Surely they've accepted responsibility so they need to make the claim... you just need to advise your insurer and do nothing else. Don't claim on your policy whatever you do!

Yep. They of course accepted responsibility completely and was very apologetic. But it's clear that they don't see this as much of a big deal as I do. They in no rush.

After a bit of sulking, I decided I wanted to choose my own repairer rather than them, called my insurer for advice and decided to make a claim and now have the power of State Insurance on my side. Does anyone rate Precision Autowerk as an aside?

State love me though. In the last 10 years I've had to call them to explain that my wife has backed her car into mine on our own driveway on 2 separate occasions. Nothing beats calling to make 2 claims in one call. Twice.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, kiwi535 said:

you still need to make a claim with your insurance company,they will pursue the other parties

Yah, that's the conclusion I came to, too.

I had to laugh when I went back to them to get more details and they offered to pay my excess. I thought "Yeah man, you will be paying my excess for certain, and then some"

24 minutes ago, kiwi535 said:

No, that's what a lot of people believe but it's not the case. You only need to claim if the other party is uninsured or doesn't accept liability.

Claiming on your policy is recorded as a claim whether you're at fault or not and that can affect the cost of future policies across the industry (i.e. not just with your current insurer). You do however need to inform your insurer.

The correct procedure is to ensure the at-fault party (acknowledged in this case) promptly lodges a claim and then you need the name of their insurer and the claim number, you then pass this on to your insurer. You then get the full protection of your policy (or theirs, whichever has the greatest coverage) without lodging a claim. edit: and you still get to choose your repairer as long as it's approved by your insurer.

It's only ever if the at-fault party refuses to lodge a claim or has no insurance that you should ever claim on your policy.

Just like opening a second credit card account negatively impacts your credit score, even if you never use that card, every insurance claim you make, whether you're at fault or not, counts against you forever.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Spudooli said:

I had to laugh when I went back to them to get more details and they offered to pay my excess. I thought "Yeah man, you will be paying my excess for certain, and then some"

No, they'll be paying their excess, their insurance company will cover your excess (assuming they're found to be at fault).

But you should have no excess because you shouldn't be claiming... your insurer should have told you that.

Edited by M3AN

16 minutes ago, M3AN said:

The correct procedure is to ensure the at-fault party (acknowledged in this case) promptly lodges a claim and then you need the name of their insurer and the claim number, you then pass this on to your insurer. You then get the full protection of your policy (or theirs, whichever has the greatest coverage) without lodging a claim. edit: and you still get to choose your repairer as long as it's approved by your insurer.

Thanks for this info. I did not know this was the process.

State have not accepted the claim yet as they need to know who was driving and Bridgestone will not tell me (which I can accept they need to protect their employee).

I'll go back to State and make the changes as you suggest.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by Spudooli
typo

18 minutes ago, M3AN said:

No, that's what a lot of people believe but it's not the case. You only need to claim if the other party is uninsured or doesn't accept liability.

Claiming on your policy is recorded as a claim whether you're at fault or not and that can affect the cost of future policies across the industry (i.e. not just with your current insurer). You do however need to inform your insurer.

It's only ever if the at-fault party refuses to lodge a claim or has no insurance that you should ever claim on your policy.

Just like opening a second credit card account negatively impacts your credit score, even if you never use that card, every insurance claim you make, whether you're at fault or not, counts against you forever.

its a moot point because almost every thing written about dealing with accidents/insurance company is"never admit liability at the scene,so straight away its make a claim and let the insurance companies fight it out.

Your points though are spot on in this case which is not a on the road bingle

Edited by kiwi535

23 minutes ago, Spudooli said:

I'll go back to State and make the changes as you suggest.

Thanks for your help!

No problem, it's a sucky situation and I hope it gets resolved promptly and to your satisfaction.

Just make sure you lean on Bridgestone to lodge that claim and give you the details, if they value their brand (and it's a very important brand) then they shouldn't drag their heals.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, M3AN said:

it certainly hasn't impacted mine.

Edited by Olaf

Pffft. Bridgestone. Stripped my lock nut in 40sec with a rattle gun (that I had used the day before in perfect condition), refused to accept they had done it, refused to help get the now stuck on wheel off and suggested I go to Mag and Turbo. Would never set foot in there again.

• Sad 2

Pulled my second hand water aux pump and heater control valve out again, replaced the gasket and seals this time, hopefully keeps all the coolant in.

Edited by Breaker

1 hour ago, Olaf said:

it certainly hasn't impacted mine.

That's odd, what are you using to measure your credit score? The only way it couldn't affect your score is if the NZ card provider isn't providing the mandatory updates (but they were introduced a few years back now). A credit card is considered debt (the amount of the credit limit for that card) even if you never use it, it absolutely should affect your credit score, if not something has gone wrong.