Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

Online credit score provider, and all of my card providers are providing monthly updates.  Nothing has gone wrong.  

Well, it might not have gone wrong but it's not working as expected. Here's what should happen, open new credit card account, don't use card, close account.

Edit: perhaps if your credit rating is low the effect isn't so obvious.

CreditCardDip.jpg

• Haha 1

it's not working as you expect, Dave.   

That's how the system is built. If you've had a different experience then you're the exception, not the rule.

I think you're saying that opening a line of credit has no effect on your credit score and that simply isn't true.

I bought a not bmw for my dear missus last night 

It's like a cross between an e39 540 and a nice w211 

Except much better and more gadgets. 

And more importantly more comfortable and I shouldn't have to work on it ?

20191012_193755.jpg

• Like 2

Completed a Bluetooth install on all three BMW's today.  Bought a later Business CD radio for both the e46 and e39 530 (doing away with the cassette) and three Bluetooth adaptors off ebay.  No steering wheel controls but that's OK for meantime, sound is great.  Had to scratch around for a switched 12v supply handy on the M5 and used the torch supply in the glovebox.  If anyone wants the old cassette radios for both e46 and e39 then free to any home...

20191012_132759.jpg

20191012_134903.jpg

20191012_165710.jpg

20191012_181204.jpg

20191012_181258.jpg

• Like 6

Last week's maintenance update:  2002 E46 325i Touring.  192080kms.

• New front tyres.  Same as last time, Bridgestone Potenza RE003 in 225/45R17.  On special this month, buy a pair, 25% off.  Under $400, result.
  • Headlight lens treatment, @Autoglym does the business.  Last time I did this I used one of those kits, masking, wet sanding with progressive grades of grit, then polishing with a drill, and some UV sealant afterwards.  If you've got crusty old faded lenses, get Barry to sort them out for you quickly and efficiently.
  • New WoF.  Yes, f#%k VTNZ, no more money for them.  As promised, after my last VTNZ experience, three of my vehicles have already gone to an independent.  
  • A Barry's Garage wash and vac, and under bonnet detail.  Sparkly sparkle!  Bloody luxury for me, I can tell you ?.

IMG_6833_LR_1600_300dpi.thumb.jpg.0574868de61c541cd32640626a4c2285.jpg

e46 Touring LCI headlight detail (photo credit @Autoglym)

IMG_9704_LR_1600_300dpi.thumb.jpg.99b3b5ba451cfde7fb4abee0fe29f885.jpg

e46 Touring LCI headlight detail (photo credit @Autoglym)

IMG_5618_LR_1600_300dpi.thumb.jpg.56066fe6523fe1d6ec2999925d1e5700.jpg

e46 Touring LCI - sparkly M54B25 (photo credit @Autoglym)

IMG_8271_LR_1600_300dpi.thumb.jpg.35c16d88c8b3f6f2334686ac0e349648.jpg

e46 Touring LCI with added shine.  Yes, she's carrying some battle scars.  7.5 years of tree sap, stone chips from touring, supermarket carparks, freindly neighbours, and family wagon duties will do that.

We've had this car 7.5 years now, and still enjoying it.  Yes we've spent plenty on it, though money we spend each year keeps it in good reliable and safe operation, and we avoid a $20k-plus spend on a replacement X3 or similar.  

This year it's had the VANOS done along with oil filter housing gasket, valve cover gasket and seals, and the handbrake replaced.  It's the second time for the valve cover seals and oil filter housing gasket, they were last done 7 years ago.  The VANOS seals (Beisan Systems) has improved drivability and smoothness, lower-RPM responsiveness/willingness is restored.

Today the e46 will be pulling duty as workhorse, lugging end of life IT kit (printer, iMac, 3 laptops) to the recycling centre, and part of our kitchen to the tip.  Yesterday's fun was demoing a couple of cupboards to make room for a new fridge and freezer.  It's fun to drive, and still utilitarian being a wagon; versatile transport.

I've ordered a pair of wiper blades (around 12 months per set, I find) and a couple of new grilles, as the current ones have been hanging in there by the skin of their teeth for some time.

I still really dig this car.  e46 lyf.   wagon lyf.  Two for the price of one!

Edited by Olaf
photos
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, M3AN said:

That's how the system is built. If you've had a different experience then you're the exception, not the rule.

I think you're saying that opening a line of credit has no effect on your credit score and that simply isn't true.

Did you build the system?

3 hours ago, Olaf said:

e46 Touring LCI - sparkly M54B25 (photo credit @Autoglym)

?

Can you come and clean my engine bay? 

3 hours ago, Olaf said:

Did you build the system?

Naa, but you don't need to build something to know how it works. ?

1 hour ago, zero said:

@Olaf You really want to try the updated e46 wipers. Once you try them you will never be able to go back.

https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/product/17313-new?product=61610037009

Been using them for 4 or 5 years now ?

• Like 1

Hunted down some crackly speaker in the passenger front door. Turns out is tweeter, checked connection and gave it a tighten, also took some treble out of the mix. Also replaced foam around said tweeter as the factory foam had turned to dust. 

Snapped 4 old clips putting door on had to break out the spares, fiddly damn things. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Olaf said:

Been using them for 4 or 5 years now ?

I should have looked closer lol.

Too busy multitasking with Bathurst.

• Like 1

I don't have Sky.  Hopefully by next year Spark Sport will have Bathurst, and I'll get my fix of racing taxis again.

Found out today that trying to find the right second hand e36 drivers door handle.

Isn't going to be easy, a lot look right, the right numbers but further inspection of the photos showed slight difference in the levers.

Thanks to Ray and Brent for their time.

May have to buy new ..........

Edited by sweetm3

Got new tyres for the E30, Michelin Classic MXV3-A in 195/65R14. They're reproductions of the original OE tyres.

• Like 1

Nice one, I realise they're just tyres but I'm keen to see a pic. 

• Like 1

Michelin deserve credit for making those available... vintage tyre with modern tech.

• Like 1

Pirelli are also making reproduction vintage tyres, but they are mostly for Ferraris, Porsches, Lamborghinis, etc.

21 hours ago, sweetm3 said:

Found out today that trying to find the right second hand e36 drivers door handle.

Isn't going to be easy, a lot look right, the right numbers but further inspection of the photos showed slight difference in the levers.

Thanks to Ray and Brent for their time.

May have to buy new ..........

Ordered new one today.........

On 10/13/2019 at 11:11 AM, M3AN said:

?

Can you come and clean my engine bay? 

Naa, but you don't need to build something to know how it works. ?

Hi Dave, no trouble cleaning your engine bay, I may have to drive back to Wellington!!

here is a photo of the engine bay in my E28 & E39?

25BC6DD2-3001-486E-9AE4-54FCB916F2BD.jpeg

73EA1E2B-4F56-41BA-965E-F250C12C7F61.jpeg

• Like 7

Wow, let me know you the next time you're in Auckland, the beers are on me! ?

Rattle hunting today

Every since i bought the E39, about 6 months ago, there has been a loose metallic "jangle" or rattle from the drivers side ffront wheel well area. local shop checked it out when doing other work, reported nothing loose.

Had some time today and decided to check it out myself, removed the wheel, inspected suspension bits, stone guard and rattle clips.  All seemed tight with no extra noise.

Moved to the under side of the car, knocking on the undertray - bingo! rattly, loose screws and washers all over the under side

With a number of scews / bolts actaully missing and others loose plenty of tightening followed with 2screws not able to be tightened as they dont seem to be fasteneing into anything on the otherside, these 2 were re- stuck in place with wads of bluetack (ghetto i know but a more permanent solution once road tested)

Edited by hunter
spelling
  • Like 1