Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

Chucked one if these in yesterday along with new power steering lines so hopefully no more leaks. Made some wheel alignment adjustments. So far seems good

20191221_124340.thumb.jpg.764028ceb7fee3597e32039f305b9dc6.jpg

• Like 4

The summer spruce up initiative started today with rear wheel off the car (BBS style 42 on an E39) for a inner barrel degrease, wash, clay bar and wax. Not sure it has ever been done ? so hasn't come up perfect by any means. But a good stop gap until I can get a full wheel refurbishing done. Will do fronts later this week.

Also gave the guard liners a bit of a scrub, very dirty also. 

20191222_102541.jpg

20191222_101013.jpg

• Like 2

Thought I'd check the front passenger side suspension out the easy way, turns out just needs control arm bushes......

Angle is a lot more sketchy than it appears, camera just doesn't do it justice. Was a bit of fun, and simply just drove straight out (after being told I wouldn't be able to hahaha)

IMG_20191217_202843.jpg

IMG_20191217_202858.jpg

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Mad_Max said:

Outstanding!

7 hours ago, Olaf said:

Hahaha slightly more impressive is the fact I was towing a trailer through it all too ???

Awesome! I had a customer drive off the end of our Carpark at work and only had 2 wheels on the ground. Slapped in in reverse and drove off. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Mad_Max said:

Hahaha slightly more impressive is the fact I was towing a trailer through it all too ???

steady on lad, we did see that in the pictures ? ?

Wheels and new boots back on the convertible, in for a warrant and passed with a couple of minor comments. Roll on summer! 

Cleaned the wife’s 1-Series as it was driving me mad how filthy it was.

And more cutting and grinding on the race car. It’s hard work this holiday stuff.

• Like 1

Summer spruce up pt2

Front wheel cleaned inside and out as per previous post, and guard liners aka pork chops replaced with new Latvian, non cracked ones. 

Made a few discoveries today, first was the mint and well used Japanese spanner in the passenger side guard liner, no doubt dropped in there before the car was imported. 

The being that the drivers side under tray is misaligned due to mashed brackets and a missing section of bumper where the porkchop slots in, all screw holes etc are accounted for so it is secure but could  be better,  will address in a future mission. 

Really like how the spanner is worn on one end of the text, potentially shows a lot of use by the mechanic who eventually lost it. 

20191224_144817.jpg

20191224_175617.jpg

20191224_175631.jpg

Edited by hunter
Pics
  • Haha 1

Losing a 10mm socked in an engine bay I can understand... but an 11mm double ended spanner - that's a good effort!

Got six months rego for the 'vert to be legal over summer, $57 and change inc GST - nice. Even if I only do the same 350 odd miles as last year that works out to be less than 33c per mile for both WoF and Rego for the summer. And hoping to do a good few more miles this year!!

• Like 1

Did the spark plugs today, service history reports them last done 4.5 years ish ago. All 6 were exactly the same condition as the one pictured. no oil on them so that's good. 

New ones in ready for a burn up to and around Hampton Downs this weekend for Caffeine and Gasoline. 

20191227_110423.jpg

• Like 2

Replaced the mo money mo problems busted liquid crystal  drivers side electric auto dimming mirror with a ridiculously good one from @BozzaFC 

Still on the hunt for an equally good second hand one for passenger side too. 

Learnt They are interchangeable but it means the wires have to go around the other way on the back and the locking tab switch moves from bottom to top if charging sides. 

• Like 1

Fixed the electric tilt/lift function on the driver's seat in the 130, happy with that because it only cost me time.

• Like 1

Replaced the hedge hog on the e46 touring. I still maintain this is the worse job to do on an e46. I had put it off for nearly a year.

• Like 1

Head in floor well job are never nice but id agree with you on that one too. The E39 is fairly easy by comparison and is one of the reasons ive always preferred the 5 series over the 3, those extra inches sure make things much easier when it comes to working space.

Fixed my passengers seat twist - 2x cable sleeves needed shortening for height and 1x for recline.   

• Like 1

Installed a BMS 'hot air' intake ?

Actually really surprised at the improvement in throttle response. Huge difference. Sounds pretty good too

IMG_20200107_175429.jpg

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Navin said:

Installed a BMS 'hot air' intake ?

Actually really surprised at the improvement in throttle response. Huge difference. Sounds pretty good too

thought you were selling?

35 minutes ago, qube said:

thought you were selling?

Changed my mind for the near future, enjoy it way too much. Just going to make it faster now.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Navin said:Just going to make it faster now.

Always a solid option ?

Tried to finish the rear calipers and rotors install,

took half a day to remove drivers side rotor. ?

Installed calipers went to replace brake hoses only  to find one of the hard line fittings is rounded.

Will try looking for a replacement tomorrow. 

• Sad 1

Mrs M's Baur failed it's WoF. :(

Front wheel bearing (I'd not noticed, but on the ramp it's more evident), wiper blades (gave them a clean and they're fine), and... faded seatbelts. Now, there's a rort. Faded or discoloured seatbelts are a fail - UV damage to the belt mayhave occurred and the belt should be replaced. Upwards of $150 (probably more) per belt for re-webbing.
I asked about UV-stabilised fabrics, but the tester assured me that the letter of the manual is such that discolouration to a significant part of the belt is a fail - absolutely no allowance for belt integrity whatsoever.

The manual says the following are a reason to fail:

"e) fading so that most of the colour has been bleached, and:
   i. shows signs of chalking, or a powdery residue is evident on the webbing, or
   ii. it has become stiff

f) been dyed to conceal fading, or

g) contamination from grease, paint, solvents or similar products.

h) been replaced or shows other signs of repair (Note 14) and there is no evidence of approval from the seatbelt manufacturer.
Note: Such approval is very unlikely.
"

I concede two belts have faded in part, but not to a 'most of' situation (too open to interpretation imo).  There is no sign of chalkiness, residue of any sort, or stiffness. They have not been dyed, or repaired. A third belt has been replaced by one which is a different colour (brown, not black, and unfaded) but this was also cited as a fail.

However, taking the words at face value, it seems that unless a seatbelt is replaced with a genuine manufacturers item, it is still a fail! Anyone care to guess the price of BMW seatbelts for an E30...? Sit down before you ask. ?

Bloody annoying. Yes - I know... Wrong WoF station, etc...

Now it's all good to go and legal the 'vert has had a hissy fit and decided not start.

Took it to work the other day for the first run out this year, got home, went to put it away in the garage, no start. Absolutely nothing, no clicking solenoid, squat.

A week on charge (with a good quality intelligent charger) and it's telling me it's fully charged - but still nothing. Uh-oh, starter...? Immobiliser...? Something else..?

Whacking starter with hammer, made no difference. Really felt like taking to the car with the hammer, but just stopped myself.

Another week or so on charge, using the "refurb" mode and I've not got a clicking relay, but nothing else. Fingers crossed a bit more time on the charger will bring it back to life, if not, it looks like new battery time.

Remind me again why I 'like" classic cars...??

• Like 1