Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

Added a roller cabinet for my pre-existing Teng top box which gave me the incentive and motivation to tidy the garage and workbench a little. Also added a Teng wheel nut set (bar, extension and nylon covered sockets) to my existing 3/8" and 1/2" socketry.

Teng_Roller.jpg

Teng_Sockets.jpg 

• Like 1

Mmmm wish my rollcab had nice foam inserts like that. 

Went to fit a new serpentine drive belt and didn't have a T60 for the tensioner then discovered I had a coolant leak from a disintegrated flange. So the 1 hour job is still sitting in bits waiting new part. At least I discovered the issue now and not on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere.

IMG_20200628_092145[1].jpg

The plastic coolant parts on these cars are my biggest compliment, a couple times I've been screwed over by parts suddenly breaking without warning ?

Sold the 135i..sad sad day. Now to buy a boring 'family' car. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Navin said:

2series active tourer??

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, hunter said:

2series active tourer??

Haha nope.. I actually went to test drive the X2 M35i and wasn't a fan at all. It's between the new C class and 3 series at this stage

38 minutes ago, Navin said:

e60 V8 is a nice not-boring family car.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sold the E46 320d. :(

Sad day, but it does have a small issue - it won't start. Our move, no garage or workshop, and largely - no time - have meant I didn't get it sorted.

Gone to another forum member though, and I'm sure it will live again.

• Like 1

Graham!  You're like a Scotsman without his sporran!  What are you commuting in, now?

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Olaf said:

Graham!  You're like a Scotsman without his sporran!  What are you commuting in, now?

Back in Mercedes again.

I do borrow Mrs M's Baur from time to time. :)

Put some Euro plates on the 330ci, nice little finishing touch.

IMG_20200727_103806.jpg

• Like 4

Tried again to get the fan off the 330d wagon so I can replace the serpentine belt, thing is tighter than a tight thing, can't really get at it from above so tried underneath - and managed to drop a spanner onto my face. Luckily it was only a small spanner - not, 32mm bugger. Still no joy getting it shifted so had to purchase a second 32mm spanner to hold the water pump pulley whilst trying to coerce the fan nut off (in the opposite direction as it's LH thread...). So gave up and went to get a beer instead.

Whilst in the process of buying said new spanner, also bought a sheet of hardi-board for the fence panel that's buggered. Found out the rear hatch of a G21 Touring doesn't take a board 1200mm wide. More cursing and swearing.

Then towed a trailer for the first time with the 116d - with the board in it. Was a very light load, so apart from the noise of the trailer and the rear PDC beeping a lot I didn't really notice the trailer. Need to try something a bit heavier in the trailer next time to see how grunty the 1er is when towing.. Got there in the end, but a lot of buggering about in the process.

Hopefully something "task" related will go to plan in the near future to give me a little bit of encouragement.

On a happier note - bought an E30 M3 Sport Evolution - unfortunately it was only on Gran Tourismo and not in real life but you can always dream.

• Haha 3

Washed the car for first time in several months! (Was relying on Winger doing it when it went in for EGR cooler recall but wrong part ordered -> no clean car)

97C21B83-DB34-4F5D-8399-7541548D718E.jpeg

Edited by balancerider
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Tried again to get the fan off the 330d wagon so I can replace the serpentine belt, thing is tighter than a tight thing, can't really get at it from above so tried underneath - and managed to drop a spanner onto my face. Luckily it was only a small spanner - not, 32mm bugger. Still no joy getting it shifted so had to purchase a second 32mm spanner to hold the water pump pulley whilst trying to coerce the fan nut off (in the opposite direction as it's LH thread...). So gave up and went to get a beer instead.

Sounds like you need the right 32mm spanner, the one i use is 420mm long, and near 10mm thick at the jaw. Combined with a whack from a mallet or sledgehammer they are always defeated.

sp.jpg

• Like 1

It moved under it's own power for the first time in a year! Hopefully warranted by the end of the week if I have time before I start my new job next week

• Like 1

Finally assembled the engine crane I’ve had for almost two years and took the  motor out the back of the van destined  for the compact. (Watch this space)

Started the e30 for the first time in 18 odd months. Fired up first pop being jump started off a Milwaukee drill battery and moved it 1m to place said motor out the way.

Got a replacement hatch for the compact and swapped it over so doesnt have a big primer spot over a rusty hole. Then smashed the old one and cut it up so would fit in the wheelie bin ?

And Drove the M3 

• Like 1

Picked it up from Continental BMW, diff out, all new seals, back in again. No more oil leak! BMW club membership paid for itself and more, approx $300 off the total bill, happy with that.

• Like 3

Picked up the new car and had a fantastic drive back to Auckland. Stoked with it! 

IMG_20200729_142056.jpg

• Like 8

1 minute ago, qube said:

Huge upgrade from the e82! Well done

Most definitely, incredible how well this thing handles. And the tech just blows my mind... I haven't even touched the surface, will take some time getting my head around all of it for sure

2 minutes ago, qube said:

what is it? 320d msport?

Yep, with pretty much every option. Same amount of torque as the 135i ?

Got some floating centre caps for my birthday, I suppose that means I have to get my ass into gear and refurbish the wheels.

• Like 1