Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

Weird, I didn't realise the grilles are fake on those? 

14 minutes ago, KwS said:

Weird, I didn't realise the grilles are fake on those? 

pretty sure they are "active"

only opening when needed?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, hunter said:

pretty sure they are "active"

only opening when needed? and aren't broken... yet

Fixed that for you ?

Haha time will tell... done a bit of reading on these and it doesn't seem to be a common item of failure on them... Yet. Cool idea behind it though. 

• Like 1

Interestingly I've just discovered they've been doing it since at least 2005. The E8x's had radiator flaps for the same purpose. The seem to fail regularly... you might yet experience that. ?

@M3AN wow had no idea. Don't think my 135i had it? I know back in the day cars in colder climates had manual shutters to help warm cars up quicker on cold mornings.Interesting! 

Apparently... was news to me too. They dropped it from the LCI 130i Motorsport but kept it (I understand) on the rest.

Went paddock bashing in the sun :D 

116574346_10157049359977693_5902287586239129982_o (1).jpg

• Like 1

Not enough mud on it, try again! 

• Haha 1

On Saturday,  I washed our e46 Touring. 

F6BD99DD-B8D2-4C85-94E1-38710B624408.thumb.jpeg.99cd2b56849befff9dcd1d565f630f67.jpeg

Shiny Shiny.  After Auto Glym suds, and a do-off with Rapid Dry Towel.

I also replaced the washer pump. Only it wasn't the pump, it was the filter that was completely snotted-up.  There's more snot in the tank to deal with; I didn't have the tools to clean it.  I rinsed it out, put the old pump back in and got it all going.  Note to self:  Using BMW Screen Wash exclusively since the pump was changed about 4 years ago was not the path to happiness I was assured of.

4C3F1AA7-66BE-4CE1-8551-199A9AE95CC0.thumb.jpeg.8263a71949753bd88b399f5b9d5d9158.jpeg

Old pump out - temporarily, as it turns out.  Same VDO/Continental part replaced.  Just a 10mm socket and a couple of electrical connectors and a hose, easy removal.

474CE1EB-7353-45CE-B62D-9E1C0A4337DF.thumb.jpeg.c1a6e83db3861831bd076bed19ddd9e7.jpeg

De-snotted pump inlet filter/grommet detail shot

C0483DB4-59B7-4822-A8D8-D431612CFB4A.thumb.jpeg.25f011ba977d99d5d5391999ec295b0e.jpeg

e46's strike the pose

Today the e46 received it's rear O2 sensors, at Auto38 in Wellington.  The fronts had been replaced approx six weeks ago; the rears deferred until manifold to front pipe gaskets, bolts, and nuts were available.  It was a shitty job, exhaust off, and Jon had the oxy-acetylene set on the bolts to remove them.  End result, car runs even smoother, at almost 195k kms.  Still loving this car after 8 years and 3 months.

Edited by Olaf
formatting, photos
  • Like 4

37 minutes ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

Sold it. Anybody got ideas on how I'll keep my driveway oiled now?

Buy an Alfa

• Haha 1

Drove it for the first time (in a long time)! ?

Edited by treone

Took the wheels off the 135i for a deep clean (over a couple of lunchtimes admittedly!)

Before and after. My weapons of choice are meguiars wheel brightener and a pot scrubbing pad....

0001a.jpg

0001b.jpg

• Like 4

On 8/4/2020 at 7:37 PM, Olaf said:

Today the e46 received it's rear O2 sensors, at Auto38 in Wellington.  The fronts had been replaced approx six weeks ago; the rears deferred until manifold to front pipe gaskets, bolts, and nuts were available.  It was a shitty job, exhaust off, and Jon had the oxy-acetylene set on the bolts to remove them.  End result, car runs even smoother, at almost 195k kms.  Still loving this car after 8 years and 3 months.

Here we are a week later.  I am stunned at how much smoother my M54B25 is running after the O2 sensor replacement.  It starts straight into idle, rather than an initial rev (the ECU, not me)... super-smooth idle.... and smoother through the lower rev-range (I've not been hooning it).  Clocked over 195k kms this week.  It's a joy to drive.  

• Like 1

Just now, Olaf said:

Here we are a week later.  I am stunned at how much smoother my M54B25 is running after the O2 sensor replacement.  It starts straight into idle, rather than an initial rev (the ECU, not me)... super-smooth idle.... and smoother through the lower rev-range (I've not been hooning it).  Clocked over 195k kms this week.  It's a joy to drive.  

Totally! They get some bizzare fuel adaptations once the old O2 sensors go silently old an senile. 

Have you by chance ever done the VANOS piston seal replacement? That transformed my M54B30 in ways I couldn't imagine and HIGHLY recommend it if it's not been done. 

yep, VANOS seals and stuff done by Auto 38 last year, restored responsiveness and smoothness below 3500rpm, absolutely stoked.  Got better over a couple of weeks as the seals bedded in.

I reckon the bizarre fuel adaptations idea makes sense, though we didn't look specificially.  One of the O2 sensors threw a code, so figured better to replace all four and get it right.  Bosch parts.

• Like 2

Just now, Olaf said:

yep, VANOS seals and stuff done by Auto 38 last year, restored responsiveness and smoothness below 3500rpm, absolutely stoked.  Got better over a couple of weeks as the seals bedded in.

I reckon the bizarre fuel adaptations idea makes sense, though we didn't look specificially.  One of the O2 sensors threw a code, so figured better to replace all four and get it right.  Bosch parts.

The first time I took my my 330i out after I did the vanos seals (fun little job and a good opportunity to replace the brittle valve cover gasket which literally snapped apart), I could not believe the change it made. The instant response from the first twitch of the foot blew me away. I understand that the seals fail as soon as 35k in many vehicles, so many owners probably never experienced the way they were suppose to drive.

I only ever needed to replace the pre-cat O2 sensors on my M54 as I had a failure on one. The post cats are used only for emissions related ULEV (or whatever) stuff and are not directly used to adjust the fuelling so cannot result in any drive issues etc (but will cause codes to be logged if the cats are not working or something)... 

The O2 sensors outputs won't be considered on cold starts at all as the ECU will be in open loop...so depending on the start temperature and a couple of other factors you may still get that increased initial revs (as there is some cat warmup stuff , cold start enrichment etc etc) going on. 

• Like 1

Managed to get some garage time over the week-end, in between doing other jobs.

Put my spare set of 4 x 100 15" wheels with rubbish tyres onto the convertible so the new Hankooks don't get flat spotted over the winter. Saves having to drag the car out for a short spin around the block every month or so, which I think is better in the long run.

Managed to finally get the fan off the E46 touring, thanks to the purchase of a new, longer 32mm combination spanner and a good whack with the hammer. So now have got the old belt off and cleaning up some of the oil and crap that's around the front of the engine before chucking the new belt on.

Also managed to attack a few more areas of the bodywork on the race-car, slowly making progress... will update the seperate project thread for that one shortly.

Wish I could use the water blaster to get all this yellow pollen off the cars that are parked outside, they are absolutely covered in it now!

• Like 1

@E30 325i Rag-Top That pollen is taking over the whole city!

Easy to get rid of with a quick rinseless wash though

330ci-23.jpg

• Like 3

I checked the battery voltage on the 135i...been tracking it for a few days. I don't know why but I have a feeling my battery is unwell or I'm getting higher parasitic drain.