Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

Probably Allan... if your comment is addressed to me... Vehicles & people generally.... I'm over it 

Only for bms though... not people.. I love helping people where I can.. if they want to listen

Edited by B.M.W Ltd
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Started putting things back together again after pulling the head off the race car. Blowing coolant out due to exhaust gases getting in the system, pressure check of head came back good, and a bit of a weld on a corroded wateway should do the trick fingers crossed. Now to get the whole lot back together and adjusted - fun, fun, fun.

Wife's E46 has had the airbags done, but found another couple of issues that need attending to...

And the convertible is still sitting there patiently waiting for some new parts and TLC.

I am beginning to get a bit over all these car problems, they are supposed to be "fun" right??

Owning multiple old vehicles is probably just going to be like that  - one thing after another ....

• Like 1

The problem these days is that old now is 3-5 yrs or over 50k... and the repair and service costs done properly can end up costing 10- 50 % of the vehicles current market value

• Like 3

2 hours ago, B.M.W Ltd said:

Welcome to the real world Jon

I think it is more of an age thing Glenn, I have always been upside down under cars for as long as I can remember but now it is seeming less and less like "fun" and more and more like pain and heartache. When you can only lean under a bonnet for a period of time before your knees and legs seize up any job starts to take a lot longer, and has to be planned out in advance to mix up the standing, sitting, leaning jobs. I must be getting old and paying for all the mis-adventures of my youth.

First world problems I know, as there are many people out there who would love to have a car to work on, let alone a garage full, so I shouldn't complain too much. I will be a lot happier when the current wave of work is over and the driving can commence again thats for sure.

• Like 2

We are on the same page Jon... I need to go fishing and use my camera more often..for weeks on end in the motorhome

I'm 68 in Nov... How old are you Jon ??

Edited by B.M.W Ltd
  • Like 3

on weds just passed my e46 325i touring received it's new rear tyres RE003 245/40R17, and it's WoF re-check.  job done. :)

still need to clean the belts.

No Glenn just a light heart ed gib at Jon.If he's having trouble now what is he going to be like when he reaches the big 6 0 time to start working smarter. Knowledge is only useful when pasted on to others and as you said Glenn they have to be willing to listen.

Got my MAF back from BAVREST in the states, looks as good as new.

IMG_3599IMG_3604

Hasn't made a huge difference as delving a little deeper I think it's my C191 plug that's causing me problems.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, allan said:

No Glenn just a light heart ed gib at Jon.If he's having trouble now what is he going to be like when he reaches the big 6 0 time to start working smarter. Knowledge is only useful when pasted on to others and as you said Glenn they have to be willing to listen.

Not that far for me to go to the big 6 0 and to be honest the state parts of my body are in they aren't going to be any worse by that point anyway, possibly even better if I can get the surgery I need.

The only way I can be working smarter would be to pay someone to do the work for me, and whilst this is sometimes very tempting, it's just not me, so I'll keep the money I save from doing that for the racing budget.

Tried to swap the radio/CD units between the 318Ti and the 318i.

Should be straightforward, except a butcher has been at the 318i. Bullet connectors? Who needs them? Cut them off, and use the 'twist wires and insulation tape method. Except where you can use a massive piece of chocolate block. Bare wire? No problem - it's in a plastic surround anyway.

I hate fixing other people's crap. (The Ti looks fine. :) )

Of course, the chocolate block is so far back in the dash that it's almost impossible to get to. (There's a piece that's not shown in the photos.)

IMG_20170916_153136_1.jpg

IMG_20170916_153208.jpg

Edited by gjm

6 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Not that far for me to go to the big 6 0 and to be honest the state parts of my body are in they aren't going to be any worse by that point anyway, possibly even better if I can get the surgery I need.

The only way I can be working smarter would be to pay someone to do the work for me, and whilst this is sometimes very tempting, it's just not me, so I'll keep the money I save from doing that for the racing budget.

Best of luck with the surgery is that called general maintenance these days ;)

Can understand the pleasure of doing things your self but working smarter well this could be heading in the right direction.Went to a friend of a friends place and low and be hold what does he have in his garage a 4 pole hoist boy was it nice to able to stand and work under the car  as apposed to lying on my back on a creeper cramped for room.

Graham what a =-12#@$ mess on the other side what sort of radio /stereo set up was fitted anything flash?

40 minutes ago, allan said:

Graham what a =-12#@$ mess on the other side what sort of radio /stereo set up was fitted anything flash?

Nothing special. Trying to swap a JVC and a Pioneer - one has an Aux input, which is what Miss M wants to keep. Of course, that's not on the unit in the Ti which is a CD/Radio only.

Different connectors, of course.

1. Borrowed a cylinder bore gauge.

2. Went to zebra wreckers in Manukau for a m62b44 block.

3. Pulled engine out of a 540i at zebra.

4. Removed heads.

5. Checked bore with pistons still in and all good.

6. Pissed with rain so moved engine undercover.

7. Dismantled everything off the block as its the only bit I need.

8. Found cracks where the starter motor mounts.

9. Went home empty handed after wrenching for hours.

• Like 5

C

10 hours ago, gjm said:

Nothing special. Trying to swap a JVC and a Pioneer - one has an Aux input, which is what Miss M wants to keep. Of course, that's not on the unit in the Ti which is a CD/Radio only.

Different connectors, of course.

Could be wrong but swapping radios with a mess like this to deal with must really rock your boat -_-.If it is only to plug a devise to play extra music from surely an adapter in the cig lighter could do the trick.

13 Hours of cutting/polishing/removing compound from face and she is is shineyAF. Still has 224k of stone chips and scratches, but they are very shiney stone chips! 

21740039_10154628134567693_1108324818728955139_n.jpg

21752804_10154628151842693_4771391540284584909_o.jpg

• Like 8

Put a reversing camera in the E38, thanks to Hotwire for a great package and instructions.

Great to have and integrated into the 16:9 screen.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Breaker said:

Put a reversing camera in the E38, thanks to Hotwire for a great package and instructions.

Great to have and integrated into the 16:9 screen.

Can you link the instructions and package? How much did this set you back?

16 minutes ago, Gabe79 said:

Can you link the instructions and package? How much did this set you back?

Instructions from Grant (Hotwire). Sells the relay, wiring, camera, everything you need. $230

https://www.trademe.co.nz/1409521166 

>Remove R/H number plate lamp assy.

>Remove the boot lining

>The aperture will require some slight enlarging to house the camera – it will be pretty self evident. A bead of silicone behind will secure it in place.

>Connect the camera number plate wires to the car wiring. (I prefer to solder connections if possible) Make sure the resistor sits out on it’s  own – it gets quite hot.

>Run the cabling (two leads) down to the right hand hinge area. It needs threading through the conduit into the boot. This is a bit of a process but it will go through. I usually feed a guide wire carefully  through, taping  the cables to it & drawing them through. Make sure there is no tension on the video lead terminals as they are pulled through – secure the cable to the draw wire behind the terminals.

>Leave the connector plugs in an accessible position within the boot lid incase of having to revisit in the future – unlikely but possible.

>Once inside, run the leads to the back of the car then across to the L/H side. Trims will need to be removed.

>The video module (VM) is the first silver box you see behind the trim, Has two plugs – white & blue. Remove this, from memory the CD changer too, behind a felt liner on the very inside of the guard is the       

radio tuner – another silver box

> Connect the camera power supply (red) into the purple/white in the radio harness. Connect the earth (black) into the brown (earth) wire in the harness, along with the brown earth wire from the relay.

>Connect the red relay wire to the L/H reverse lamp. It is white/yellow in the E39, I would say it will be the same in the 38.

>Remove white & blue plugs from the VM – depress tab & slide over the release lever. Once removed the inner block needs to be removed from the case. There is a tab to release on the leading edge &                             

the block slides out. Do one at a time so as not to confuse.  In the blue plug find vacant slot for pin 17 – insert the white relay wire – make sure they push fully in. reassemble the plug. Repeat on the white                                                                                                                                                               

plug & insert the yellow video wire into pin 13 slot, the braid into pin 14

That’s all connections done, key on, into reverse & camera will come up on screen.

Reassemble as required.

• Like 2

Thanks for that. I might have to get myself a camera. :)

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top
Quote prev post..
  • Like 1

On 15/09/2017 at 1:35 PM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Started putting things back together again after pulling the head off the race car. Blowing coolant out due to exhaust gases getting in the system, pressure check of head came back good, and a bit of a weld on a corroded wateway should do the trick fingers crossed. Now to get the whole lot back together and adjusted - fun, fun, fun.

Wife's E46 has had the airbags done, but found another couple of issues that need attending to...

And the convertible is still sitting there patiently waiting for some new parts and TLC.

I am beginning to get a bit over all these car problems, they are supposed to be "fun" right??

So you're over car issues. No wonder i have little to no motivation for working on the cars around home. And after all week & virtually 24hr AA duty, that i do have is getting less...

26 minutes ago, Gabe79 said:

Thanks for that. I might have to get myself a camera. :)

Easier for the E39 as well - camera clips in - as long as you have factory monitor

On 9/16/2017 at 11:01 PM, zero said:

1. Borrowed a cylinder bore gauge.

2. Went to zebra wreckers in Manukau for a m62b44 block.

3. Pulled engine out of a 540i at zebra.

4. Removed heads.

5. Checked bore with pistons still in and all good.

6. Pissed with rain so moved engine undercover.

7. Dismantled everything off the block as its the only bit I need.

8. Found cracks where the starter motor mounts.

9. Went home empty handed after wrenching for hours.

How bad were the cracks? 

Fixed up my vapour barrier seal drivers side rear door. Cleary someone went in there to fix something in the door, maybe window actuator, dunno... they left a neatly dried up section of butyl though, which leaked something fierce into the sills, though luckily not into the car just yet. 

That job was a pain videos make it seem simple and easy and the putting in is easy, but cleaning old butyl cord sucks.  Took an hour just to clean butyl off one door.  

Cleaned up front passenger seatbelt which was moldy as anything. 

Edited by Gabe79
  • Like 2