Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

I replaced my reverse lights and number plate lights with LED units. 

The reverse camera is so poor on the early E70 in low light conditions and this helps somewhat. 

I also drilled a couple of holes in my numberplate to mount it without the old Japanese plate holder, looks much better and does not rattle when I close the tailgate. 

On 2/7/2018 at 0:12 PM, RedRocketTi said:

Did an engine swap on my nugget...

now to trace down the water leak behind the air con bracket....

2528C481-D687-493A-BE8C-1A0812B0CD9D.thumb.jpeg.5b69233ffc8bcf63f7ade3f01a530d49.jpegA56007EE-A765-4F71-B6C9-060ADB922B9F.thumb.jpeg.5c7dcbb280a6104ac81e72c5b0353fdc.jpegB140E0BD-D68C-4F9D-9336-206F5EC89352.thumb.jpeg.d7d26aa6090aa2c04feff61da8920a9e.jpegFA4A7110-ACE4-4DF3-BAF5-2D18D0196D8B.thumb.jpeg.9802948be5b27cceaf66dba52b866d70.jpegE8B8C4A6-1942-4761-9D89-B1DAB8B74921.thumb.jpeg.2855ed96c35f4b6e863ea4d0b2d0ed4a.jpeg

Nice, mmm shiny alloy! was this a brand new engine install or did you source a secondhand one and clean it?

1 hour ago, dream///machine said:

Nice, mmm shiny alloy! was this a brand new engine install or did you source a secondhand one and clean it?

Just cleaned it up with a waterblaster, scrubbing brush and a good amount of degreaser!!! I also gave the rocker cover a fresh lick of silver to tidy it up as it had some discoloration going on!

2 hours ago, RedRocketTi said:

Just cleaned it up with a waterblaster, scrubbing brush and a good amount of degreaser!!! I also gave the rocker cover a fresh lick of silver to tidy it up as it had some discoloration going on!

I appreciate your tidy work redRocket, I just bought myself a second 318ti (m-sport) and sadly the engine bay isn't as tidy as this, esp the rocker cover. Love the sound of your techniques but sounds like a job more appropriately done when engine is out of the bay. I'd commit to it, but prob not worth it as I'm interested to swap out for m50... weirdly enough thou, I thought I came across a post of yours doing this swap?? It was a google search at the time, which after reading through some of your threads I was convinced to join the forum ;) 

Picked up my strut bar from the Powdercoaters. Happy. :thumbs-up:

• Like 1

Technically not today but, traded it on something a little mid-life crisis-ish... and no its not a leaf :D. So now BMW-less for the while :(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, treone said:

Technically not today but, traded it on something a little mid-life crisis-ish... and no its not a leaf :D. So now BMW-less for the while :(

Please say you didn’t get a Mini! ?

3 hours ago, Gabe79 said:

Please say you didn’t get a Mini! ?

Not quite as that would be too sensible as well haha.

Went for something a bit more 'practical' and I got this (even with the stupid wheels - but I have a plan for those). And I'm not even a tradie!

06 CREWMAN S - 3.jpg

• Like 1

Do you do retaining walls? 

32 minutes ago, Jacko said:

Do you do retaining walls? 

I wish :). Unfortunately I get blisters from doing any 'labour intensive' activities' :D.

Main reason for getting the crewman is the need to cart fishing/dive equipment, transport the vast catch home and do the 'green waste' ie gorse tip run. Also wanted the convenience of four doors with the practicality of a tray with canopy. And I didn't want a Colorado/Ranger cos everyone has one of those haha.

The X5 is/was awesome but after doing close to a 3K km trip over NY it was becoming obvious that it was not the type of wagon we needed. Would get another in a heartbeat though!

Hard getting used to this V6 thing... ;) 

• Like 1

Today I looked at it and thought to myself that it desperately needs a wash.

Our 6 month old has been in and out of hospital a lot since birth so understandably attention for the BMW has been minimal.

When I find time it'll be getting a good clean and an oil and filter change as coming up about 1800km since the rod-bearings replacement (the car not the baby).

Edited by Karter16
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, treone said:

Not quite as that would be too sensible as well haha.

Went for something a bit more 'practical' and I got this (even with the stupid wheels - but I have a plan for those). And I'm not even a tradie!

I'm trying hard not to judge but... it's so ugly! :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Karter16 said:

Today I looked at it and thought to myself that it desperately needs a wash.

Our 6 month old has been in and out of hospital a lot since birth so understandably attention for the BMW has been minimal.

When I find time it'll be getting a good clean and an oil and filter change as coming up about 1800km since the rod-bearings replacement (the car not the baby).

hope your bairn is on the mend and you're all getting into that rhythm as a family.

• Like 1

Bought myself another E30 M3!! :wub:

Unofrutnately it's only a 1:24 scale plastic model kit, but at least it is an M3.

I can add it to the long list of cars I have in bits at the moment as well! A project for the cold, dark winter nights.

• Like 5

I had my coils, plugs and belts changed as well as a service. 

Actually surprised at the difference it made to be honest but with the car approaching 100k kms it was due. 

Much smoother idle and more confident starting if that makes sense. I actually thought the car was running fairly well before... 

Goes to show, sort your stuff before it breaks. Now good for the next 100,000!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NZ BMW said:

Much smoother idle and more confident starting if that makes sense. I actually thought the car was running fairly well before... 

Goes to show, sort your stuff before it breaks. Now good for the next 100,000!

yep, those coils do show their age, eh?

Good old fashioned preventative maintenance.  whoda thunk? :)

3 minutes ago, Olaf said:

yep, those coils do show their age, eh?

Good old fashioned preventative maintenance.  whoda thunk? :)

What worries me a little bit was talking to the mechanic about how difficult it was to change one of the coils on the back of the V8 engine block. Apparently some people only change 7 to save a bit of time.... how many cars are out there with mismatched coils and plugs like that?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, NZ BMW said:

I had my coils, plugs and belts changed as well as a service. 

It's encouraging to see some people still doing it properly, nice one.

But I bet that hurt... $$$... !

18 minutes ago, M3AN said:

It's encouraging to see some people still doing it properly, nice one.

But I bet that hurt... $$$... !

It’s not as bad as you’d think - I got all the parts in from the US in advance. I would say all up the parts and shipping would have been about $650 or so. Putting in was a couple of hundred more, probably because the back coil is a bit difficult. 

So I would say the 100km service if you want to call it that was somewhere in the region of $1500. 

Still a chunk of change but over the life of the car it’s not too much really. Having the luxury to plan in advance is good - a Contitech belt is some $15USD plus shipping. Much more here, it’s  a joke really. Likewise spark plugs $8USD a piece for a good quality Bosch iridium or platinum one, hate to think what they are here. 

Best example would be the oil filter - my mechanic charged me $41 for it. They can be had for $10USD offshore. I feel a bit embarrassed taking those along so I suck up the extra $20NZ!

Edited by NZ BMW
  • Like 1

Took the e39 in to Jon at Auto38 to install new rear shocks (and mounts), and sort out some bugs with the front end after the front shocks were replaced by a less cultured hand in December. 

Also replaced the oil pressure switch in a (sadly unsuccessful) attempt to stop a STOP: LOW OIL PRESS warning from sounding after any time spent at idle. 

As always, great service and chat from Jon. 

Sure thing. I'll grab one after work when it is is a bit lighter. 

On 3/6/2018 at 5:52 PM, NZ BMW said:

What worries me a little bit was talking to the mechanic about how difficult it was to change one of the coils on the back of the V8 engine block. Apparently some people only change 7 to save a bit of time.... how many cars are out there with mismatched coils and plugs like that?

Yes, I read the same thing for e60 545i.  I decided to have the workshop do it for me.

Changed fuel pump, fuel filter and fuel hose, it lives!

• Like 1

I spun a rod bearing at the Taupo track yesterday.......... car is at 140k so was prob due anyways, just hoping there’s no damage to the rod.

not feeling good today.