Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

55 minutes ago, Olaf said:

where's yer heat shield, mate?

I re-used the heatsheild, but just didn't show a picture with it attached

Coupler.thumb.jpg.7086e15cf99b514affdc46721ba1f783.jpg

• Like 1

Re-did my driver's side vapour barrier, as I have a wet wet rear driver's side carpet... Looks like I didn't use nearly enough Wurth's Dab-Off last time... I don't think I could have used more now... :)

Also replaced my aging, and leaking windshield washer fluid pump. Nothing fancy...

Wife drove it for the first time today ever for her, and first time in a couple of months. The glories of parking outdoors... I have ants! wtf

Got the vanos seals done. Idles very smoothly now, and hopefully I have seen the last of this jingly little fellow. 

IMG_20180314_125525.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mikan said:

Sadly not. 

Sorry mate, the two aren't related. You may be low on oil, but I figure you've checked that. Oil pump on its way out? Does your oil level sensor work? The sensor is cheap and you can replace it easy enough at next oil change. The pump.... less cheap. 

34 minutes ago, Gabe79 said:

Sorry mate, the two aren't related. You may be low on oil, but I figure you've checked that. Oil pump on its way out? Does your oil level sensor work? 

Thanks mate, yup, oil checked and changed for a thicker weight. Have replaced oil pressure switch, but not level sensor - do you think that would impact pressure? 

Have had a gauge on the engine, and blocking vanos off did show an increase in pressure, so we hoped that refreshing the (petrified) seals would get it over the line. 

Jon at Auto 38 who has been slowly working through the list of remedies from cheap to ruinous for me said he saw enough metal in the (three month) old oil to suggest that the true cause was main bearing wear. 

12 hours ago, Mikan said:

Thanks mate, yup, oil checked and changed for a thicker weight. Have replaced oil pressure switch, but not level sensor - do you think that would impact pressure? 

Have had a gauge on the engine, and blocking vanos off did show an increase in pressure, so we hoped that refreshing the (petrified) seals would get it over the line. 

Jon at Auto 38 who has been slowly working through the list of remedies from cheap to ruinous for me said he saw enough metal in the (three month) old oil to suggest that the true cause was main bearing wear. 

Sorry, I did mean the level sensor, but I was thinking of the switch which you have already replaced anyway. There are lots of threads on this on bimmerforums, and you have tackled the right stuff. Also, the VANOS could have been the issue, I was wrong. I'll just bow out in shame now. :)

Removed some twats modifications.

5D94D784-4DA2-45E3-9EC6-BAE9697131DE.jpeg

B0B4D2F2-591C-46DC-84D4-6214E4EE360E.jpeg

4081F127-A6DD-4675-854E-CBD465ADD02F.jpeg

• Like 7

An appropriate term for the kind of person who would do a modification like that, yes :)

Bit of automotive optometry today;  New to me passenger side headlight bowls. (Others had been marred by water and dirt from leaky seal) and new headlight weather strips, both sides on the E46.

Took the opportunity to give all the surrounds a good clean up while passenger side was apart too.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2018 at 10:10 AM, Mikan said:

Does it only do it hot? 

Yup, only hot, and only at low revs (generally coming off idle from stop-start traffic). 

Been having a check engine light and misfire starting once rpms get over 4k. Scanned the car and got a misfire on cylinder 3 code, figured it was probably a coil so got the ignition maintenance kit from FCP euro so that hopefully when they're due for another change it will only cost about $80 max(return shipping). 

Got all 6 plugs and coils changed, decided not to use dielectric grease. Went mostly without a hitch except the $5 spark plug socket from FCP was a pita, the rubber is way to tight and when it's gripping the plug there's no extension arm in the world that will hold it, ended up MIG welding it to an old 3/4 extension and that worked well enough, still took a lot of muscle to get it on and off the plug though. 

Anyway, got everything back together and the motor runs smooth and pulls hard right through the rpm range without any issues or misfires whatsoever so I'm a happy man. 

20180327_213732.jpg

20180328_161825.jpg

• Like 4

Window regulator changed in the 740, was starting to thunk when at the bottom of the opening on the drivers door, managed to pick up a second hand one, now sorted.

unfortunately I unplugged the door airbag with the key in the ignition and the battery still connected, once it all went back together the airbag light was stuck on, but I was able to clear it with my Carsoft reader. Phew, note on this for the E38 and probably E39, you’ll need to ensure you plug into the round socket under the hood and not the OBD inside, that only allows connection to the DME. Once I got that sorted, thanks Bimmerforums, light has gone and airbag control is reset :) . Plus window operation is nice and smooth 

• Like 2

Drove the 328 to the liquor store which is of course closed today, on the way home the go pedal stopped working.

Had a side-of-the-road look at the throttle cable had detached entirely from the pedal, the little rubber grommet as deteriorated, not sure yet if I can get a replacement grommet alone.

I swear this car has spent some time at the bottom of a lake. But hey, it's a $2k beater and I love it.

• Like 1

740 and 750 both got a nice oil change. Best part of 17l ?.

good thing Castrol Edge 5w30 was on special this week, along with filters that’s .. a lot.

• Like 1

action-packed day today.  Washed, and then dropped in the e60 to have the Bond Car option delete executed (with thanks to MBI from Autosure).  It should be out of sick bay in a few days, no longer appearing as puffing billy!

And, while out with the kids in our e46, window regulator failure.  So dropped that in to Page European as well.  Will be ready tomorrow.

So we caught the bus home, and I pressed our trusty 855-T5 into action.  It had sat on the side of the road since late January, after I last washed it.  It started first go, and I took it for a 30 min drive (after an appropriate warm-up).  I really must get it listed for sale this week, it needs a good home to continue the love.  Only 196k kms on a 21 year old car; and it feels and runs well.  

• Like 1

Gave her a wash and wax.... first time ever.... OK, so I've only had her a few weeks, but start like you mean to go on right?

So as the seller had put it "in the right place at the right time".

So over the Easter weekend working out the deal. Picked up this barn yarn find for next to nothing.

Amazed at the condition, was going to use as parts for my sedan e34 but now am going to keep this and fix her up.

Owner had it parked up for 3years, NZ new 540i touring has had moisture inside so trying to dry it out. surface mold.

170,000ks on the clock from carjam as i haven't started it yet. 

But yeah very happy with the find.

Photo0045.thumb.jpg.ec52bc2d92f60f28daf8202f3e0777b1.jpgPhoto0052.thumb.jpg.362166d7a4a50957371ce427fd9e1422.jpgPhoto0048.thumb.jpg.037fc85b7e96b52effa50a245f974cd5.jpgPhoto0049.thumb.jpg.5122a41626454fc1439fcda7c5a458c1.jpg

Edited by e46v12
  • Like 6

22 minutes ago, e46v12 said:

So as the seller had put it "in the right place at the right time".

So over the Easter weekend working out the deal. Picked up this barn yarn find for next to nothing.

Amazed at the condition, was going to use as parts for my sedan e34 but now am going to keep this and fix her up.

Owner had it parked up for 3years, NZ new 540i touring has had moisture inside so trying to dry it out. surface mold.

170,000ks on the clock from carjam as i haven't started it yet. 

But yeah very happy with the find.

Photo0045.thumb.jpg.ec52bc2d92f60f28daf8202f3e0777b1.jpgPhoto0052.thumb.jpg.362166d7a4a50957371ce427fd9e1422.jpgPhoto0048.thumb.jpg.037fc85b7e96b52effa50a245f974cd5.jpgPhoto0049.thumb.jpg.5122a41626454fc1439fcda7c5a458c1.jpg

awesome ,. , have owned these in past

moisture I would say leaky sunroof mech etc , I have a replacement sunroof mech for one of these in silver if needed .

2014-09-26 13.56.49.jpg

2014-09-26 13.57.15.jpg

2014-09-26_14_41_40.jpg

So managed to spend the day trying to find out if anything was wrong the E34 540i touring. As stated had been sitting around for roughly 3 years. 

Syphoned the left over 20lts of petrol out.

Drained the old oil and replaced with new. 

Undid and took out the coils and spark plugs found little pools of oil down by plugs so due for a rocker cover gasket change ( at a later date)

Put a few drops of oil into the cylinders, hooked up new EXPENSIVE battery. and cranked her over a few times.

Put 98 in and started her up with no success. My mate Conrad gave the fuel lines a squeeze and no pressure.

Volt tested the plugs to pump to make sure it was getting power. As we knew the pump is a goner, Still wanted to get the car started to see if she ran smoothly so gave a couple of sprays of engine starter into the intake pipe and Bang she goes.

Started up like a dream :)  so small things to fix.

New pump, Check over oil pump bolts, new oil filter, fix both passenger windows, dry car out, 

Then we are away laughing. 

P1010074.thumb.JPG.ba95c5f070a138d712244bf7b6ec1c0d.JPGP1010071.thumb.JPG.9546689b465c5ae09ffbd986ef2dc1af.JPGP1010075.thumb.JPG.168e0bbef1dfb0b66b3c34727af89be7.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, e46v12 said:

So managed to spend the day trying to find out if anything was wrong the E34 540i touring. As stated had been sitting around for roughly 3 years. 

Syphoned the left over 20lts of petrol out.

Drained the old oil and replaced with new. 

Undid and took out the coils and spark plugs found little pools of oil down by plugs so due for a rocker cover gasket change ( at a later date)

Put a few drops of oil into the cylinders, hooked up new EXPENSIVE battery. and cranked her over a few times.

Put 98 in and started her up with no success. My mate Conrad gave the fuel lines a squeeze and no pressure.

Volt tested the plugs to pump to make sure it was getting power. As we knew the pump is a goner, Still wanted to get the car started to see if she ran smoothly so gave a couple of sprays of engine starter into the intake pipe and Bang she goes.

Started up like a dream :)  so small things to fix.

New pump, Check over oil pump bolts, new oil filter, fix both passenger windows, dry car out, 

Then we are away laughing. 

You should do a restoration thread/discussion to cover your adventure ....

• Like 3

Hi Peter

i did think about starting a thread but didn’t think it was going to be worth one to be honest, it’s mainly things that I’m sure every m60 owner has covered and fixed over the years. 

Again I don’t plan on doing too much more to the vehicle. 

But thanks for the interest.