Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

Ran some polish over mine, followed by a wax. I had to go out to take the cat to the vet so took a quick picture in their carpark. Trying to channel @Jacko

One thing I will say is that I ordered Armor-All wheel cleaner and it's definitely not up there with the other brands sadly. Still, the choice was quite limited on the Repco website for 'essentials' with most stuff being out of stock.  

zeGZge46QVWNU64D2PC4RA.jpg

1rbASUTgRQqWITF5p4Z8pQ.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours making the 330 shinier, and smell less like the dog. 

IMG_20200425_211241.jpg

• Like 3

Finished up replacing the sump gasket yesterday, apart from being time consuming it was pretty straightforward.

Decided to go for a drive to make sure the oil level sensor worked and drove to the supermarket, finished up and started the car to be greeted with a low coolant level warning, shut the car off and opened the bonnet to see coolant everywhere ?.

Traced it down to that stupid plastic line going from the upper radiator hose to expansion tank which had burst. 

Luckily wasn't far from home so got a lift back to grab some stuff to make an emergency repair. Now sourcing supplies to make a proper metal replacement line. God I'm hating all the plastic coolant components.

330 needed a wheel alignment, turns out the tierod ends were seized. Yay for UK imports.

Quick mission to supercheap for a big fudgeoff adjustable nut fudger, and new rack ends and tie rod ends installed.  

IMG_20200513_151601.jpg

• Like 1

Out with the ciggy lighter and in with the dual usb charger!

Was actually quite straight forward, surprisingly. So will take the win - woo-hoo! ?

43E8BCEC-AECD-401A-82E4-92FB86DF8DDB.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, treone said:

Out with the ciggy lighter and in with the dual usb charger!

Was actually quite straight forward, surprisingly. So will take the win - woo-hoo! ?

That is a win, all of the USB chargers I've purchased for my e36, including the genuine BMW one, are either too loose or too tall.

Where did you get your one if you don't mind?

@M3AN - it is this Narva dual usb port. Got it from Repco (25% off finishing tomorrow).

Parts I used: 1 x USB socket and a 1 x female blade insert type connector like this one.

As a non-smoker I have no need, or desire, for cig lighters (and ashtrays for that matter!). Since I was at it, I took out the 'butt stubbers' (or whatever they are) out of the ashtrays too. Now they are a bit more practical little hidden storage spaces. And keeps everything factory looking at the same time.

Mounting

There are two mounting options. I used the socket and ring to fit mine, which gave a better factory look IMO. I discarded the rectangle screw mounting piece. Be aware that clearance beneath the original mounting location is tight but this can be overcome I reckon, with the appropriate connector.

These are the steps I took to mounting the socket after removing the trim (which was way to easy!), disconnecting all wiring, taking out the light (which I lose as I had to remove the plastic part it inserts to) and working from a bench ie kitchen table:

1. Remove cig lighter/holder without breaking/damaging any plastic. I took out the light, but I kept the wiring in tact and left it there all taped up and tucked away. You do lose this light when its all done.
  2. Cut away the plastic that holds the cylinder and light whilst being very careful not to break any clips and trying to get it flush as possible. I used a mini hacksaw but I guess a dremel tool would work as well. 
  3. Widen the hole slightly (there is a bit of a 'lip' that I took back the outer circumference edge) in order for the socket to fit snuggly and flushish with the top (it ends up pretty flush). I also evened out the area that I cut out above. I used a dremel tool with a conical sanding bit and took it back slowly whilst test fitting the socket until it was flush enough and I was happy with how it was fitting.
  4. Insert the usb socket, orientate to your preference and then secure by screwing on the ring from below until tight.

Wiring

I used the existing cigarette wiring to power it. I taped up the end of the light wiring and then tucked it out of the way.

The red/white dot wire is positive (+). Modification is required as the existing plug doesn't fit the male blade connector of the socket. I cut off the plug and put on the female blade connector. I did this by stripping some wire and crimping on the female connector. Caution here, the only connector I had available a suitable was quite long. Although it fits it is snug - I suspect it is touching the floor. Be careful not to use to much force when putting everything back in, the bottom trim may seem like it sits too high, but will seats nicely when the mid is inserted into its place. It pushes it down and holds it. A right angle or smaller length connector is probably ideal, but i had to use what I had laying around and it works for now.

The brown wiring is negative/ground (-). No modification is needed as the existing connector is the right size, and right angled too, to fit on the sockets male blade connector.

Connect wires to socket (- and + are marked on socket so make sure they are connected appropriately) and check that it is receiving power and charges a device, Mine didn't initially, found that I had a blown cig lighter fuse. Once you're happy reinstall all wiring connectors and trim, reset time and date on the mid, then have a cup of tea. And enjoy passenger and driver usb charging!

I've also installed one into another car as well. Best mod to both so far. Well best mod this week ?!

Sorry I didn't take any pics therefore the above is just what I remember doing but pretty accurate, so hope this helps someone out.

Cheers!

Edited by treone
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Replaced the voltage regulator in the M5, bit of a PITA, but can be done without removing the alternator which is a real PITA, so hopefully no more "charging fault" messages....

Fitted some M3 rear subframe bushes and while I was there also chucked in an E93 335i rear sway bar, 15mm Vs 12mm 135i bar.

Rear end feels a bit more solid now.

• Like 1

This weekend put a short ram intake in and fully insulated the heat shield then put in a poly Steering coupler. 

Car sounds better and steers better ?

IMG_20200531_124613.jpg

IMG_20200531_124758.jpg

IMG_20200531_124333.jpg

IMG_20200601_122425.jpg

Did the camber pin mod on the 1er (drilled them out for more camber). M3 arms and a new alignment hopefully within the next two weeks then I can tick suspension off (until I want an M3 rear ARB that is). 

Failed to do an oil change on the 130... lucky I tried to remove the filter cap before I undid the sump plug. Have an oil filter cap strap wrench and still, there's no way that bugger is coming off with just that! Need to put my thinking cap back on. It's not due, just peace of mind.

In the process of putting the M3 control arms in so not much wasted time really.

• Like 1

Courier delivered the Alpina piston rings I’d ordered pre-lockdown. So I moved them from the post office box to beside the block.

Edited by leichtbau

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

Failed to do an oil change on the 130... lucky I tried to remove the filter cap before I undid the sump plug. Have an oil filter cap strap wrench and still, there's no way that bugger is coming off with just that! Need to put my thinking cap back on. It's not due, just peace of mind.

In the process of putting the M3 control arms in so not much wasted time really.

There is a big ass socket thing for getting them off, supercheap etc sell em. I have a couple if you want one. 

• Like 2

Yeah, use the proper tool or you will mangle and gouge the cap trying to take it off and you wont be able to torque it up correctly (which is probably why its so tight now).

• Like 1

The cap is in really good condition so I don't want to damage it. The tool I'm using is suitable, it just wont grip hard enough (so not really suitable lol). I've seen the proper tool but thought I'd get away without it.

@Jacko - I might take you up on the offer, you'll need to come to our July coffee meet! ?

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

I put my BBS RC's from the M3 onto the 130i a few weeks back and they're staying for the time being. At the same time I put the 130's stock 17's with average tyres on the M3 so it could roll it around. I needed to take the M3 out the other day and the tyre/wheel combo is appalling. So in a moment of inspiration as I was moving crap around the garage I thought "why don't I put my semi-slicks onto the spare set of style 24's I have and mount them on the M3?" The answer was of course "there's no reason you shouldn't do that."

So today I got my semi-slicks mounted on my spare style 24's and tomorrow, weather permitting, I shall restore the M3 to state that it should be. This also means I can free up the stock 130 17's to sell to part-fund tyres for my style 208's.

I have too many wheels and too many tyres.  ?

• Like 2

Can never have too many wheels, I've got 5 sets for 2 cars at the moment and that's me being good!

• Like 1

You know youre a wheel wh0re when you own wheels for cars you dont even have..

• Haha 1

Glad I’m not the only one! I tend to hang on to wheels for no apparent reason. “They might come in handy one day!”

have 3 sets that don’t fit anything I own, then 14 sets, 10 of which are for BMW’s, and a pair of 13” rs’s and a pair of old trailer wheels since its got 16x9s d windows now. That’s between 5 cars (3x bmw, legacy and hiace) and that’s counting wheels fitted. And a stack of tyres. 

And I still Keep a lookout for more bmw wheels!! 

• Like 2

Gave back some respect to the M3 by replacing the 1er style 207's with a spare set of style 24's and semi slicks I had lying around.

Much better.

Polished_Style_24s.jpg

• Like 4

Bought another Mercedes.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1