Sign in to follow this  
ACS523i

Air Bag Light

What part don't you understand? The concept of not cutting corners on safety related items? Or the legal, moral, and physical consequences of getting it wrong? The manufacturers don't put these systems into their cars just for the fun of it - if you know more about it than the engineer that designed it then take your case to the LTNZ. They are a core safety system and no matter how you bitch and moan about the cost of fixing it the law in NZ says don't f**k with them. Which I happen to agree with.

I for one would hunt down the former owner of my car if I found an airbag had been f**ked with and failed to inflate properly when I needed it most.

The device CAN NOT stop the air bag from deploying, the sooner you understand that the sooner you'll stop sounding ridiculous chicken little..

The device CAN NOT stop the air bag from deploying,.

That may be the case, I know how the system works, I repair them. The point I was making is that it is Illegal to do it in NZ and we should not be encouraging people to do this sort of thing on this forum. Encouraging members to carry out or indulge in illegal activities is also against forum rules.

That may be the case, I know how the system works, I repair them. The point I was making is that it is Illegal to do it in NZ and we should not be encouraging people to do this sort of thing on this forum. Encouraging members to carry out or indulge in illegal activities is also against forum rules.

Seems he doesn't actually get that point Glenn...

A while back my darling wife left the drivers window down overnight in the rain, and has also pivotted on her knees on the passengers seat - either or both of these could be a cause??

I am getting opinions on this at the moment - our e39 523i can't get it's warrant - our BMW guy here has diagnostics done on it and they came up as ;

1 - Internal fault within module.current

2 - Passenger seat occupancy sensor mat open circuit

3 - Driver seat belt tensioner circuit resistance low - driver seat belt tensioner possible fault or wiring harness.

He's talking some big $$$ to fix, do you reckon you can help? or suggest anything else?

Just want the bloody thing off so we can get a warrant. It's ridiculous that one of the safest cars in the world (with airbag or not) can get failed on this - hard to take when I saw an old Mitsi Mirage Geneva - circa 82' fly through it's warrant at the same testing place - the only airbag I could see in that was the old duck driving it :blink:

Hi Steve,

it is very common for the matt sensor to be damaged by kneeling on a seat,

unfortunately there is no cheap way legally around this problem, pop in or give us a call and we can try to help or explain things clearer, as the cheap fix on here is not permited by Law,

to those other people that have done this I hope your insurance company hasn't seen this thread, just food for thought!

cheers

Jon

Seems he doesn't actually get that point Glenn...

Not that you noticed, but I never mention the legitimacy of the repair. I agued that this repair does not “mess with people’s livesâ€.

If I was to ague with it’s legitimacy I would ask the question: Must airbag repairs be done by a “certified airbag repairer/technician�

If not; where does it state “by law†it must be repaired in a certain way? Is there a VIRM that I need to be pointed in the direction of? I'm open to this.

Now from what I know “by lawâ€, the air bag light must turn on, then back off.

Not that you noticed, but I never mention the legitimacy of the repair. I agued that this repair does not “mess with people’s livesâ€.

If I was to ague with it’s legitimacy I would ask the question: Must airbag repairs be done by a “certified airbag repairer/technician�

If not; where does it state “by law†it must be repaired in a certain way? Is there a VIRM that I need to be pointed in the direction of? I'm open to this.

Now from what I know “by lawâ€, the air bag light must turn on, then back off.

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/virm-in-...le-interior.pdf

Reasons for Rejection

5. "additional equipment that has been fitted that may affect the proper performance of the airbag"

Also Known as... Listen to Glenn you f**king muppet.

Edited by antil33t

5. "additional equipment that has been fitted that may affect the proper performance of the airbag"

Also Known as... Listen to Glenn you f**king muppet.

Let's replace the word airbag with hmmm anything. So if one was to be anal (and I'm sure that's how you like it)

5. "additional equipment that has been fitted that may affect the proper performance of the wheels"

6. "additional equipment that has been fitted that may affect the proper performance of the exhaust"

7. "additional equipment that has been fitted that may affect the proper performance of the glazing"

8. "additional equipment that has been fitted that may affect the proper performance of the brakes"

Then we would be living in a country where no-one would be able to work on their own cars, make any repairs or modifications, no after market parts and only BMW dealers could work on BMW's.

Take anything to the N..th degree and you just make a cock out of yourself and cause un-due concern.

The fact is the airbag system thinking there is someone sitting in the seat (which is a normal operating condition) is not the end of the world. If you wana pay someone like Glen $500+ to fix a design fault that might come back in a week then do it! You can waste your money and be self righteous when it comes to your own car.

make you a deal. ill pay for your ebay bypass clip and install it in your car. your part of the deal is you drive the car with your son/daughter/nephiew/grandkid into a solid brick wall at north of 50kmh and if they dont break thier neck and/or die, youve proven your point. however untill you accept the deal, id rather rely on the manufacturers recomendations of having the airbag in working order, and the NCAP and such tests to back them up

ibtl

No offence to anyone here but I think people should not comment on such matters unless they have the appropriate qualifications to do so.

No offence to anyone here but I think people should not comment on such matters unless they have the appropriate qualifications to do so.

Yup, opinions are like assholes around here, everyone seems to have one true or not. I do however wish that some people would keep them to their selves especially when they become insulting & arrogant.

Mods - This thread needs closing for reasons stated above ^^^^^

Topic opener has not been back since his first post. The "correct repairs" along with "non approved" options have been presented on this thread for him. The law is the law - He can decide:- For what it's worth - I would advise correct.

We don't need an ongoing bitch fight on the rights & wrongs

Edited by hotwire

Mods - This thread needs closing for reasons stated above ^^^^^

Topic opener has not been back since his first post. The "correct repairs" along with "non approved" options have been presented on this thread for him. The law is the law - He can decide:- For what it's worth - I would advise correct.

We don't need an ongoing bitch fight on the rights & wrongs

I agree Grant

CLOSED

Edited by *Glenn*