Sign in to follow this  
Etwenty1

1996 Volvo 850 turbo - head gasket time

Got a '96 volvo 850 T5 for the wife to cart kids around in, Had been totally neglected by previous owner who siad it was using half a litre of oil a month. Cause was loose oil filter that was almost falling off. Oil looked like molasses and no service records but the price was right. Put in fresh oil and some stop leak in the power steering and now no more drips on the drive. Nice old car with the full leather, etc, goes like snot and stops very well, a bit rare in 2.0L turbo rather than the 2.3L.

I soon found a 2.3L parts car for $500 nearby with a blown head gasket. Have now decided to have a crack at doing the head and then the cambelts on both. From what i can find online the belts are compatible between these engines??? If anyone has any experience with these motors i would appeciate some tips, looking to order bulk parts through one of the many USA sites offering cheap parts. The local dealer rates are out of the question.

If anyone has the camshaft holding tool set for this model (1996 850 turbo) I would be keen to borrow/rent.

Got a '96 volvo 850 T5 for the wife to cart kids around in, Had been totally neglected by previous owner who siad it was using half a litre of oil a month. Cause was loose oil filter that was almost falling off. Oil looked like molasses and no service records but the price was right. Put in fresh oil and some stop leak in the power steering and now no more drips on the drive. Nice old car with the full leather, etc, goes like snot and stops very well, a bit rare in 2.0L turbo rather than the 2.3L.

I soon found a 2.3L parts car for $500 nearby with a blown head gasket. Have now decided to have a crack at doing the head and then the cambelts on both. From what i can find online the belts are compatible between these engines??? If anyone has any experience with these motors i would appeciate some tips, looking to order bulk parts through one of the many USA sites offering cheap parts. The local dealer rates are out of the question.

If anyone has the camshaft holding tool set for this model (1996 850 turbo) I would be keen to borrow/rent.

Try Speed, In your town,

They will help you with parts/tool hireage.