Sign in to follow this  
CaM

What do you do for a living

I'm currently a student at university of otago .. doing a Major in Marketing and a minor in Info Sci ... this is my final year...

have been working for my parents in their computer wholesaler/importer business every x-mas holiday since probably 7 or 8 years ago. Two holidays i end up in a fairly large computer company to do some pc training, up in Auckland

Before the computer shop they had a souviner and gift shop which i had to help work everyday after school... ugh that job sucked, but thats what started everything so i can't really complain ........

Eventually after uni i'd be working for my parents and then eventually after that when i have learnt enough stuff i'd be taking over their business....

well currently during the day i work for a company called Genemark, more specifically i work as a laboratory technician doing Genetic research and testing also DNA profiling for the company, myself and 2 others are in the lab and we have office staff who look after the customers about 9 people in total for the company so its a tight knit group.

I also own a party pill and Nitrous Oxide orientated business venture that is going beyond my expections on a weekly basis!

yea thats about it.

still a student (high school) at the moment, looking for part time job desperatly tho

and going to uni next year to study a business something

I'm a 3rd year student at Massey University doing a bachelor of industrial design.

I work part time in a hardware store and have done for the last 5 years.

I'm currently working for an Architectural firm as a CAD monkey (ArchiCAD 9) and consulting project manager for a large Oil Company. Got here after a history in the building industry and studying most of a Dip, in Architectural Tech (got credited most of it)

I have a background in building mostly alternative construction (rammed earth, straw bale, logs) both here in NZ (Wanaka on and off from '94 - 2000) and overseas (Aus & UK). breifly bluffed my way through 3 months as a brick layer in UK.

I've also worked as a Grill chef in Australia and 2nd chef in Wanaka.

other occupations include pump attendant, ski field liftie, farm labourer, summer season as an Aparist (bee keeper), waiter, barman, fencing contractor and rousie (shearers Labourer).

All that in 16 years, can't wait to retire...

cheers Matt

second year at auckland uni doing a Bsc in Biomedical science :jap: wheres my nerd smilie dangit? part time doin some tutoring etc

left school and went to unitec doing a automotive course, went on to drive 9ton trucks and 20ton diggas for a earth moving company for a bit now a car groomer tryin to get an appretiship

Currently mechanic previously mechanic future mechanic don't know anything else!! have been a mechanic for about 12 years.

I work in central christchurch for a firm called motor works and have been there for nearly 2 years and we do alot of work for a car yard that imports mostly bmws which is handy as paractice for my car and gathering some spares :P

way to steal my thread idea cam :finger:

im currently working for Toyota NZ (head office) in their parts warehouse shipping parts out to dealerships, has taken me ages to get a job in the automotive parts industry with no experience, has taken me a year and a half to get one, and thats properly trying for jobs. shotdown after shotdown.

last year i spent the year (whilst trying for automotive parts jobs) working for local roading contractors doing general labour, have also had off and on work with supermarkets over the last couple of years including after school jobs.

I applied for Teachers college this year '05 (BEd bachelor of education - primary) but unfortunatly got declined, have only just started at toyota and tho not a greatly enjoyable job in the warehouse, it will be very good for my C.V, hopefully want to get a more customer serviced based automotive parts job, preferbly with BMW. Dont know wether to apply for Teachers college again for next year, have enjoyed making money, and a poor student dosent appeal to me!

I'm an industrial designer/design manager for a large consumer electronics company.

I got poached from my last job as a staff designer in a consultancy after doing some work for my current employer B)

I also have a couple of freelance clients to keep me busy in the weekends ^_^

Guest Spargo

Some further info...

Doing an LLB (Hons) / BProp (hons) after pissing about with engineering for two years, at akl uni, planning on summering at my old man's law firm.

But my real aim in life is to finish my ocean yachtmaster certificate (i've got the hours many times over, my celestical navigation is a little rusty) and skipper superyachts all over the world. I've got most of the other non commercial tickets, just need to finish that and do a couple of commerical tix and i'll be outta here!

Here is my 2c

iam currently working for stats nz as a system admin.

Got here buy doing 2 citif and AUT one in computing and one in electrotechnology (hmmm big ass word)

after uni worked for a company called Gen-i ( got bought by telecom)

do help desk (what a ass job) for Maf

iam currently looking at a permanat job for a company in gfield

What commercial tickets you looking at Cilk?

I want to work up to Ocean yacht, but no ambition for commercial.

bumpstop has a mate with some sort of commercial ticket (I forget what now), and I have half a dozen mates with second and third mate tickets.

The owner of the silver M3 at the BMWCC show & shine at Shakespeare is the old man on the Golden Bay.

Don't have a job...

Nah, I'm not a dole bludger, still at college/high school.

Will probably go to the army or navy next year.

I'm a full time music student :P and a baker :blink: so I bake people yummy food and play them good music :D :bounce: :bounce:

I also own a party pill and Nitrous Oxide orientated business venture that is going beyond my expections on a weekly basis!

Bad news for you then about recent news articles sic.

Bad news for you then about recent news articles sic.
Yup - good ole goverment in their wisdom eh. I do agree however. Nos belongs in a hospiddle or in your car.

Better get a medical certificate sic.

:lol:

meh it was good while it lasted, and it was a shite load of fun to do.

needless to say the importers are the ones feeling it the most, i can get rid of all my stock quick as and make some serious $$$ doing it, but they will fight the re-reading of the medicines act to find loopholes. just like what alot of the places did with pipes when they were classed as drug paraphenalia and were unable to be sold, so all they did was rename them tobacco pipes and the govt were f**ked.

gonna be hard but nos will never die, there are to many junkies.. seriously.

my phone yesterday was off the hook with people calling up to see if they could get 20 boxes+ before the govt laid the smack down.

the big cause of this was retards opening nos bars... and also the dairys selling nos to high school kids.

it was a small amount of people that were to gready that made nos gain to high a public profile, and we all know what happens when there is a squeaky wheel...

NOS has been around for (in my memory) 8 years. It was 8 years ago I first came across it. In those days, medical grade was unheard of, or at the very least unavailable.

The only place you could buy it was dairies for the whipped cream makers.

It is only relatively recently that decent (read safe) quality has been readily available and the popularity of NOS has risen. This is why it has come to the govt attention.

They cannot restrict the non-medical stuff for use in cooking, so things will just have to go back to how they were before.

Don't blame the dairies, they were first.

There will also always be a black market, but prices will go up.

Watch and see.

well apparently dairys are screwed as they sell with the knowledge that people use the gas for improper use (ie inhale) so regardless if its food grade, the medicines act overrides that (apparently) so dairys are screwed.

nos has been around for ages yes, but i do blame the dairys for selling it to kids (as little as 12 were buying it for f**ks sake) they got gready and mum and dad got pissed. i am a self imposed R18 business (i legally didnt have to at all) and i get screwed still.... hmm

but we will see, if the medicines act cant override the food grade then it should be sweet, but its still a grey area with the "intent" part of the sale. ie you know the are going to inhale so you are legally liable.

Mechanical engineer at oscmar

Edited by ///Carl

in my 1st of 4 years at uni in canterbury doing a BE (mech). Dont have a job in canterbury yet but when i was in welly i worked for the local tyreshop and was also pizza boy (using the 318) Also done some contracting work for the old man, some of which I think is for GHD (glens company)

I do a fair bit of work for GHD - never knew we had a GHD team member on the BS list.

Edit: Found it - and I thought I'd read all the posts!

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

I currently work as a data warehouse developer looking after the LTSA's datawarehouses ;)

I can see what all you people have been up to and just how many of you lied on the 'how many points have you got' thread :P

I shall be off in a couple of weeks though to start milking the great cash cow that is Telecom as a contractor.

What Id like to know from this thread is who can get staff discounts :D

Do we have any electricians, plumbers or builders ? I need to odd job doing every know and then...come to think of it we'd love to replace our bathroom so plumbers are especially wlecome to apply !

martyn i can get ya nos and pills, or i can f**k with your DNA, sometimes not the best thing as we all know what happened with gus...