Sign in to follow this  
_Matt_

Temperature gauge not working.

It hasn't worked since i bought it and was just wondering what the best way to diagnose the problem is before i pull things apart :)

I know this seems lazy on my part, but i thought the more experienced could point me in the right direction.

edit: by not working i mean it sits bellow cold all the time, its just dead.

Edited by _Matt_

bad conections inside the cluster behind the temp gauge , faulty temp sensor on the engine?

is there an easy way to eliminate cluster connection? try to force the needle to move?

Na- don't force it... if it isn't already broken it will break.

Have you pulled the cluster apart? Should be able to see if the connection is buggered.

Otherwise check the sensor plug hasn't come undone and is clean before you start replacing parts.

Na- don't force it... if it isn't already broken it will break.

Have you pulled the cluster apart? Should be able to see if the connection is buggered.

Otherwise check the sensor plug hasn't come undone and is clean before you start replacing parts.

by force i meant electronically, to see if the gauge will move so i can eliminate it being a cluster problem witout pulling it out. ill take a look at the temp sensors now...

correct me if i'm wrong, but am i checking #12?

Posted Image

you can short the temp gauge pin/plug to the engine block and the temp gauge should go right right up , if not start pulling the cluster out and pull the face off , check the bolt conections from the temp gauge back to the main circuit board . also check for SI batterys for corrsion etc

1994 e34 530i temperature gauge not working have replaced the cluster and the sensor on the radiator and stil not working.

what else can i look for thanks

5 minutes ago, mynbmr said:

1994 e34 530i temperature gauge not working have replaced the cluster and the sensor on the radiator and stil not working.

what else can i look for thanks

temp sensors are on the back the engine , ali block that goes between the heads , 2 sensors , one for the gauge one for the ecu ,

the one on the radiator is just to activate the aux fan

Thanks Brent