Sign in to follow this  
Jamez

BMW E36 Camber Shims

Anyone tried these before? Look like an easy way to get another degree of negative camber.

http://store.bimmerworld.com/e36-front-cam...m-kit-p610.aspx

If you need more negative front camber in your E36, adding these shims is one of the easiest methods. These shims are precision cut from 6061 aluminum for strength and weight. Full shim kit includes 0.030", 0.060", 0.120" shim plates which can be used in combination for precise adjustment.

May be used in combination with other performance suspension parts, including fixed or slide adjustable camber plates. Fits all E36 3 Series cars (1992-1999) and Z3. Kit includes 6 shim plates and required longer strut bolts.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Or can you just use washers.......?

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/detai...T_ID=TSU3690036

E36, Z3 Front Camber Bolt Kit

Part #: TSU3690036

Applications: 1992 - 2000 (E36 Z3)

Whether you need a camber change or you are looking for more adjustment with your camber plates, you can change your camber by shimming the strut and spindle with the TMS bolt kit. There are some things to take into account with this kit so please read the installation tips below. An alignment is strongly recommended after installing this kit.

Posted Image

Keep in mind the car will only ever see the track and not the road.

I ran them for yonks (actually bout 5000ks).

They were excellent on an E36 for reducing front push. Horrible for tyre wear and probably wore the front bearings out. perfect for a race car!

I just used longer & upgraded bolts with washers.

How many millimetres of washers are you guys using and what was the camber change?

Internets research suggests you get ~0.5 deg per washer (per 2.5mm). I could go an extra 0.5 deg - I've got less than 1 deg now.

From memory here, each approx 1mm washer gave about 1/2 degree increase.

I had about 2 1/2 deg camber hence the tyre wear ha.

I run them (bimmerworld shims) also on the project/track-rat E30.

From memory I am only running the thick shim with fixed camber plates also, and have around -3.5d.

IIRC the shims are 3,2 & 1mm thick, so you can run a variety of combo's.

Only issue is they decrease tyre clearance to the strut, not a prob. if you don't have wide tyres.

Are you thinking about these for the racecar Jamez?? With the M3 guards?

Have you thought about running E46 control arms to get a wider front track and more camber...

Edited by E30-323ti

Are you thinking about these for the racecar Jamez?? With the M3 guards?

Have you thought about running E46 control arms to get a wider front track and more camber...

Yeah, E46 arms will push the wheel out too far, we have standard arms on at the moment and with et20 rims its hard up against the guards (the guards have also been pushed out a bit). I also have some M3 evo control arms on the way which will change the placement a bit so will see what happens after they go in.

I will post up a decent update on the s50 thread in the coming weeks, will also be at Hampton on the 19th of november for the trackday if anyone wants to have a looksee.

Edited by Jamez

Camber change - shim thickness in mm

0.5 deg - 1.16mm

1.0 deg - 2.63mm

1.5 deg - 4.00mm (just for reference, not recommended)

2.0 deg - 5.44mm (just for reference, do not use)

2.5 deg - 6.81mm (just for reference, do not use)

stolen from here

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=995556

Was using them untill I swapped to inverted m3 evo top hats.

I'll have to have a hunt for allignment sheet for what the static camber was like then

Ooops, I had read the same article but recalled it incorrectly. Naughty me.

Yeah, E46 arms will push the wheel out too far, we have standard arms on at the moment and with et20 rims its hard up against the guards (the guards have also been pushed out a bit). I also have some M3 evo control arms on the way which will change the placement a bit so will see what happens after they go in.

I will post up a decent update on the s50 thread in the coming weeks, will also be at Hampton on the 19th of november for the trackday if anyone wants to have a looksee.

Sounds a bit odd, I run et25 17x8.5's with 240 slicks and there is plenty of room, on stock untouched E30 guards.

I am running the M3 evo Control Arms, but they won't affect the track.

Keen to see any updates!!

Thanks for all the info, think i'll go with washers and new bolts, looking on realoem they are M12x20 Bolts that need to be replaced. Do I ask for a ~M12x25 bolt at the shop? What did you guys use?

Just make sure you get the correct grade bolts (ie high enough).