Sign in to follow this  
djguranga

e30 320i complete engine cut out

Hello bimmersport massive, hope someone can help me out with this

Just over the last 3 weeks, I am getting an intermittent engine cut out in my 320i.

Its happened about 4 times so far, and at random times (luckily not when ive been on the motorway!) :(

Everytime its happened, ive noticed im driving around 50-60km/h, and then il lose all power and the instrument (dash) lights will all come on...This is usually followed by me pulling over to the side and starting her back up and she starts without any problems (no idle, reving problems that i can see)

Recently Ive had cambelt done (car is currently at 160k), water pump and sparkies changed too.

Fuel filter was changed about 20k ago.

I noticed etwenty1 has a similar issue with his 325i, any insights on what could be causing this?

would coils, fuel injectors, relays be the first place to start?

Thanks heaps!

Edited by guranga

Hello bimmersport massive, hope someone can help me out with this

Just over the last 3 weeks, I am getting an intermittent engine cut out in my 320i.

Its happened about 4 times so far, and at random times (luckily not when ive been on the motorway!) :(

Everytime its happened, ive noticed im driving around 50-60km/h, and then il lose all power and the instrument (dash) lights will all come on...This is usually followed by me pulling over to the side and starting her back up and she starts without any problems (no idle, reving problems that i can see)

Recently Ive had cambelt done (car is currently at 160k), water pump and sparkies changed too.

Fuel filter was changed about 20k ago.

I noticed etwenty1 has a similar issue with his 325i, any insights on what could be causing this?

would coils, fuel injectors, relays be the first place to start?

Thanks heaps!

I would start with checking the lead from the coil to the cap. I had another one that did that, the lead was broken at the coil plug.

i had the same problem on e30 with m20b23. turned out the ECU had dry solder joints to an electrolytic capacitor near the center of the board, it's a design flaw, piece of foam bends the PCB. (it's fixed on Motronic systems, but if your dizzy is on the passennger side it's worth checking)

Edited by barf

Hi All

Thanks for the replies so far!

Unfortunately this problem is still plaguing me. And to make matters a little more stressful the cutout has now happened while on the motorway as well!! (speeds 100-120km/h)

Since the initial posting so far I have been able to :

-swap out old fuel pump with a new one - damm this cost me a lot more than anticipated :(

-replace throttle body (old one had a bit of a leak)

-replace air filter (got a k&n)

Things yet to do:

- change the fuel filter (i had it changed around 20k ago so it might be that time again)

-swap out ECU with a spare (hopefully getting this done today!)

-replace HT leads, dizzy rotor and cap.

Other thoughts on what may be causing my cutout:

-O2 sensor/Airflow meter - can this be cleaned/serviced??

-fuel relays? - do these have to be replaced when replacing the fuel pump?

-temperature sensor? discovered mine was always on 1/4 (i thought this was normal!) however i found out that this should always be on the half way mark? is this true?

-crank angle sensor - not sure how this would relate to my cut out but hope someone could shed some light here?

Cheers to all for the help on here :)

Also a massive cheers to DANUTT who was kind enough to pull over when i had cut out yet again on a motorway offramp :)

DJ

Edited by guranga

Pretty sure if there is no CAS, the car doesn't go.

or is that only if you mix them up...

Thought about the AFM?

There are two temp sensors, one is for the ECU, the one is for the cluster, the cluster on 1/4 mark is probably just an low temp thermostat, mine sits around that too.

Edited by antil33t

No or broken CAS will cut out engine, starter will crank but won't spark or fuel.

I'd be borrowing a good ecu and trying that first were i you as that's a simple test then go from there 

Edited by pando

No or broken CAS will cut out engine, starter will crank but won't spark or fuel.

I'd be borrowing a good ecu and trying that first were i you as that's a simple test then go from there 

Hi All

Another (not so good) update! :(

Swapped out the ECU yesterday, was running sweet as until today! Went to the gym and got back to my car and it just wouldnt start, however it almost sounds a bit different like its getting a little bit of fuel and then dies straight away?

Back to the drawing board..next step looks like relays and possible CAS?

Thanks guys!

Fuel pump relay?? Pull it out and have a look at the terminals, do they look like clean shiny copper or burnt and brown. Pump relay can cause unexplanned cutting out and/or hard starting