Sign in to follow this  
cliffdunedin

Speed tolerance this weekend...

No one disagrees with you. So what has this thread been about?

Simple. Police resources are so stretched that if someone walks up to you and steals your car, the police will get to it in a few days. Maybe they will never do anything about it.

Yet, it appears that when there is money to be made, they are out in force.

Dead right.

Don't want to start another argument but some of us must agree that you can't pass a truck at 100kph. If you do your the only one whose going to get past and you'll cause a problem if you take ages to get past when you have 2-3 cars coming with you. Which I believe is more dangerous than someone going past at 120-130.

And it should be a target.

If your going 80 down state highways, people will pull out in front of you and this will cause more problems. And with the nature of some NZ drivers they will tailgate and be aggressive in passing the 80-90k car who thinks 100kph on a long straight road is too fast.

Just my opinion.

Edited by Gotheschu

The cop woman Paula Rose who has been going on and on about how lowering the speed limit at Queens Birthday reduced deaths despite appalling weather and no one on the roads will get a huge bonus. Not because the road toll this Labour weekend has been low but because she will have gained huge revenue from additional fines and because she has become an accomplished liar. Watch the cops insist the road toll ould have been higher if they had not had the lower threshhold in place. No matter what they do they never ever admit they botch anything and our media repeat ad nauseum anything the cops say.

Target the simple rules like keeping left, use of indicators, target slow drivers holding up other traffic, get people to stop if they are tired and have a cuppa and most of the traffic problems will be overcome.

I don't understand how anybody can argue with this kind of thing or call it revenue gathering.

It is a speed LIMIT, not a target so even if you're going 1 KM over the limit, you're breaking the law! Just don't speed, simple as that. If your speedometer is genuinely calibrated incorrectly then sure you have a leg to stand on, otherwise suck it up and obey the limit.

I could never debate a speeding ticket. If I'm caught speeding, I know I've broken the LAW and accept the consequences as they come. Man up people.

What a Dudley do-right guy ;)

It's not breaking the law to be 1km over the limit whether it's 50, 80 or 100kmh the usual tolerance before breaking the law is 9km?? which is why i started this thread as it had been reduced to 4km...for this weekend

I don't think anyone had said anything about debating speeding tickets...when i got stopped for going 106kmh i just asked the popo if i had been speeding...he told me this weekend, you are and that was it.

If it had been decently advertised before the police just bombarded drivers with the change, i'm sure people would be far less ready to scrutinise the police as revenue gatherers.

What a Dudley do-right guy ;)

It's not breaking the law to be 1km over the limit whether it's 50, 80 or 100kmh the usual tolerance before breaking the law is 9km?? which is why i started this thread as it had been reduced to 4km...for this weekend

I don't think anyone had said anything about debating speeding tickets...when i got stopped for going 106kmh i just asked the popo if i had been speeding...he told me this weekend, you are and that was it.

If it had been decently advertised before the police just bombarded drivers with the change, i'm sure people would be far less ready to scrutinise the police as revenue gatherers.

Actually, it is BREAKING THE LAW to go even 1km over the limit. It is merely a guideline that states that Police should not target those people in the 0-9km over bracket. Simply to help other kiwis out. If they wanted to theyd be completely within their rights to ping you for 100.1km/hr.

Just dont (get caught) speed(ing)

I took the bike from palmy to castlepoint and back today, saw 3 cops, and got breathalysed at a checkpoint in masterton...

No one disagrees with you. So what has this thread been about?

Simple. Police resources are so stretched that if someone walks up to you and steals your car, the police will get to it in a few days. Maybe they will never do anything about it.

Yet, it appears that when there is money to be made, they are out in force.

Yeah, my sisters car was rear ended, the driver did a hit and run. Wrote my sisters car off. Found out who the dude was (got his name etc), turns out he was pissed when he crashed. Told the cops and everything, that was about 4 months ago, they are yet to do anything about it.

Yeah, my sisters car was rear ended, the driver did a hit and run. Wrote my sisters car off. Found out who the dude was (got his name etc), turns out he was pissed when he crashed. Told the cops and everything, that was about 4 months ago, they are yet to do anything about it.

There's no money to be made, why spend resources on it?

Get your story to Campbell Live or similar TV programme. I bet NZ Police will charge the driver straight after getting the (1st) call.

Don't drivers understand that their speedometers are optimistic? People were doing 90 at motorway, c'mon WTH?? I set my cruise control at 104 which gave (true-ish) 100 kph reading on my GPS.

Edited by 318Touring

Actually, it is BREAKING THE LAW to go even 1km over the limit. It is merely a guideline that states that Police should not target those people in the 0-9km over bracket. Simply to help other kiwis out. If they wanted to theyd be completely within their rights to ping you for 100.1km/hr.

Just dont (get caught) speed(ing)

After talking with a friend last night who's a policeman and discussing this, he said, as far as he knows it absolutely says nothing about the LAW being broken unless the tolerance (whatever it may be) is exceeded.

And no. Police can not stop you for going 100.1kmh as the police enforcement policy restricts them from doing that.

NB:

Police Speed Enforcement Policy

The current Police speed policy specifies that:

* Drivers of vehicles other than heavy motor vehicles who exceed the speed limit by less than 11km/h will not normally be issued with an infringement notice providing their speed does not present a risk to public safety in the prevailing circumstances.

* These principles do not constitute a mandate for drivers to exceed the speed limit. In some circumstances exceeding the speed limit by less than 11km/h will pose road safety risks.

It's more that there is a shortage of cops to investigate actual crime, yet there are plenty out collecting money.

You know how they caught the Son of Sam killer right?

Got to Tamehere straight and this idiot (all the way from Cambridge was going 80-90) then sped up to 110 at Tamahere... was a young guy, so I flew past, then done it to him (80-90, about 3 times) then stayed at 110 (see how he likes it). Then he went flying past me, about 160ks. Idiots like him are what cos crashes.

And that was my exciting day driving yesterday.

Pot, Kettle, Black................ MUPPET!

Edited by e38king

After I got my first speeding fine as teenager my father sat me down for a stern chat.

He told me that from then on I should drive as if I had four of my own precious children in the car with me and that I had no right to endanger the lives of others regardless if it was in suburban area, industrial or out in wops with no one for hundreds miles.

As a young lad with random girlfriends every other week it was hard to imagine me driving around with kids, but one night outside Massey Uni I pulled out onto the old Albany Highway after looking for traffic and seeing none I pulled out, but to my horror I clipped the rear bumper of a black subbie wagon that i just did not see. I sent the car into a slide perpendicular to curb, the tyres got traction and pulled the car into the curb bursting the front right tyre. I immediately put my hazards on pulled up to the car and jumped out to check. The car had stopped about 2 meters from bus stop, if it had carried on it would have collected the car the passenger door behind the driver where an 11 month old baby was in a car seat next to her two brothers who could have been no more than 5. The other driver had no idea what happened and when I explained it was all my fault they were very gracious with me (I wouldnt have been if it was in reverse). After changing the tyre and buying the kids lollies etc we exchanged details.

To this day I can still remember the horror and the sickness that almost made me vomit when i saw that child in that baby seat. I could have killed an 11 month old baby doing no more than 20km/h and to this day I am known as grand dad to my mates due to my insistence at speed limit driving and caution with which i drive. I never again want to feel that sick with myself.

The above may be slightly OTT but I think everyones view point around speeding and road usage changes when you are potentially responsible for killing a someone else or endangering young children.

Went on fishing trip out from Monganui Thursday saw 3 cop cars.

Came back yesterday arvo counted 21 patrol cars 8 camera vans and a bike cop with tri-pod.

Averaged 12.8kms/Ltr on way up with a few kickings.

Googled `causes of road deaths` and came up with numerous studies and opinions, most debunking the speed kills arguement. Found this article from Sth Africa hit it right on the nose.Driver attitude,etc.. Could just as easily apply to NZ.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good article.

Googled `causes of road deaths` and came up with numerous studies and opinions, most debunking the speed kills arguement. Found this article from Sth Africa hit it right on the nose.Driver attitude,etc.. Could just as easily apply to NZ.

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Before the "don't speed and you won't get a ticket" brigade kick in - this highlights what the police just won't see.

I've been to the BMW driver training a few times and I recommend it to ANY level of driver. It makes you aware of how the car behaves in extreme circumstances and could make a major difference to how you react when something out of your control happens. Its experience, training and sleep which are the major factors.

Having said that, speed probably amplifies a situation where someone with none of the above gets into trouble.

Since the police idea of "low tolerance this weekend" didn't return the results they told us they would, maybe we should hand this issue over to the AA or some other body to oversee? I don't like hearing about deaths - but the police "actions" of ticketing everyone who drives over the limit (no matter how small) clearly DOESN'T work.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/4...or-police-Joyce

Moving the decision over to the police mitigates the government making an un-popular baseless decision on an pre-election year.

I wonder why politians dont think rationally. Im all for not speeding and have adjusted my driving in accordence with road law after _many_ thousands of dollars in speeding fines.

However, why are they using 1 good fluke weekend as a way to adjust speed tollerance? facts are, cars have got a lot safer and so have roads.

The only things that have changed are the population, the number of old dodgy rubber on cars, the education and lack of manditory advance driver training.

Speed doesnt kill, people do and bad descions. removing the fluffy margin of error wont fix the problem. You watch what happens road toll figures when the tollerance is adjusted... a big fat nothing.

Its all clever (not so) marketing to lobby law change for more tax collection.

EH you said you were on the motorway !

lol you don't adventure out to Upper Hutt much do ya :)

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/4...or-police-Joyce

Moving the decision over to the police mitigates the government making an un-popular baseless decision on an pre-election year.

I wonder why politians dont think rationally. Im all for not speeding and have adjusted my driving in accordence with road law after _many_ thousands of dollars in speeding fines.

However, why are they using 1 good fluke weekend as a way to adjust speed tollerance? facts are, cars have got a lot safer and so have roads.

The only things that have changed are the population, the number of old dodgy rubber on cars, the education and lack of manditory advance driver training.

Speed doesnt kill, people do and bad descions. removing the fluffy margin of error wont fix the problem. You watch what happens road toll figures when the tollerance is adjusted... a big fat nothing.

Its all clever (not so) marketing to lobby law change for more tax collection.

its not about the poiticians.They are generally just joe lunch boxes like you and me withan ambition to do the best for all of us(at the start anyway).Its the officers of the ministries who are tasked with reducing the road toll but given very few resources to do it.They will obviously target the simplest approach with the broadest application.What is easier than catching people who drive faster than the rest,no judgement or selection processes are required

Then why doesnt it work ?

Do what Sweden / Finland do, manditory Advanced driver training.

I know youre just awnsering my questions :D my frustration isnt directed at you by the way.

Then why doesnt it work ?

Do what Sweden / Finland do, manditory Advanced driver training.

I know youre just awnsering my questions :D my frustration isnt directed at you by the way.

never thought it was mate,and i know my justification is simplistic.Better driver training,and real driver licensing tests.We need people to take driving seriously not just regard it as a task to be carried out with little care or pride.

I agree 100% with E90 M3.

When some piece of scum broke into my shed earlier this year it took 3 days for the Police to come around - not that they actually make any attempt to solve the crime - it doesn't generate revenue.

Yet at any one time there is an army of Highway Patrol Officers sitting on the side of the road waiting to catch you doing 111km/h or in this case 105km/h. When was the last time you saw a cop waiting outside a bank to catch a robber?

I have a theory that the criminals of this world (ie the ones who broke into my shed + more serious criminals) are not driving around in cars with registration and WOFs. However, these individuals are also not the demographic who pay fines and therefore aren't "worth" persuing. I notice these cars and verify their lack of WOF and registration with CarJam with about an 80-90% success rate on the vehicle not having 1 or both of the necessary requirements. Why don't the Police target these vehicles and impound them / sell them and use the proceeds to pay the owners fine? This would a, get a non-roadworthy car off the road and b, make it much harder for criminals to get around and commit actual crimes, giving the real Police less to do.

I believe that this would lead to both safer roads and safer communities yet as it doesn't have the revenue stream of speeding fines I'm sure the Police will continue to turn a blind eye.

Just my 2c!

I think you fail to grasp just how many criminals are actually caught because of driving offenses.

perhaps everyone just needs to learn to "drive" in e30s...

hahaha, my wife makes jokes that I look like a bus driver in my beloved e30 325i - big original steering wheel - slow arse steering response.....I still love the drive!