Sign in to follow this  
brad91

ITB's

No offence intended Brad.. however I think you are way out of your depth with this type of project, especialy with the skill levels you are showing in some of your threads.. By all means have a go, but I'm sure it's going to end up in "Heartache Hotel"... I'd have to write a book to try and help you with this.. I suggest you research it more on the web.

What Glenn said.

if i were you, and had 300 bucks to buy a set of rare cheap ITB's, I'd buy them and sit on them till I could use them.

Yea i think i will. Want to order some adjustable coilovers this weekend aswell.

Is there anywhere that there is a step by step guide to building and installing a megasquirt? I found one website which goes into detail about what you need and then has like 2 steps in building and installing with no pictures or anything lol.

Whats a good model that i can unplug my ecu and plug the megasquirt ecu straight in? They do make those dont they?

I think there is a guy on e30tech who does a plug and play Megasquirt for M20, right antil33t?

What coilovers are you getting btw?

Edited by B20

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/D2-RACING-R...sQ5fAccessories

Just found these ^^^ while searching for the ones i want. Doesnt say if they need any welding to fit but they look really good (not sure about 6kg spring rates though :S). What needs to be welded on on these sort of things if they require welding? apparently its something on the front near the hub?

And these are the ones i can get for like $1100 delivered with camber tops AND whatever needs to be welded on welded on here in AUS.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/COILOVERS-BMW-Z3-E3...=item19c05267af

Only problem i can see is the rear looks like it is still seperate spring & shock which im assuming will limit how low i can go? Planning on making my car 101ishmm lol. Legal height is 100mm so i only want to be JUST over or atleast look like its over lol

I think there is a guy on e30tech who does a plug and play Megasquirt for M20, right antil33t?

why would you ask me such a question?

I think it's lifeiskaos(mitch)

Both kits require welding

2nd kit doesnt require welding. Well it does but for $80 i think it was on top of the buy it now price he does it for you then sends them out ready to bolt in.

What needs to be welded and how hard is it to do?

The welding isnt hard, but to get a cert, at least in NZ, will require mag particle inspection to make sure the welds arent cracked.

The rear is standard for cheap E30 coilovers. You can put real coilovers into one, but the rear strut towers etc will need to be reinforced. Not Cheap.

I strongly suggest you do a lot more research on everything. Check with whatever Aussie authority about coil overs too, as It may totally different rules too NZ.

Edited by Jacko

Coilovers arent legal here unless you have the threads welded which i dont really want to do as i cant ever make it lower once i have more points haha. That being said mates of mine get done for being too low but never for having coilovers but i suppose if you get the wrong cop you will get in trouble for it.

Can you adjust height with a seperate spring and shock? It looks like the springs have something on the bottom of them? And would a seperate spring and shock rear end be fine for drifting/mountain runs?

Had a read on a few sights about megasquirts so might purchase one of those soon. And hopefully the ITB's arent sold as he had a coupe people looking at them apparently and hasnt messaged me back today :S

And would a seperate spring and shock rear end be fine for drifting/mountain runs?

Dont like insurance either?, if coil overs arent legal in your state, why bother.

Spend your money on some good adjustable shocks and some lowering springs. If you want to drift, look at meaty sway bars (whiteline do good ones) and stiffen up the ass end of your E30 along with a reshimmed LSD.

I used to live in Aus, you guys dont have any mountains, you have hills and call them mountains :P

Edited by Jacko

lol SHHH we like to think they are mountains :P

It will only get 3rd party fire and theft insurance. No full comp on this. I have another daily with coilovers aswell and never have any problems. Although being AWD it makes it a bit hard to drift lol. Hence why im playing with my beema :)

Really wanted to get away from the standard coil setup. Wanted to get dampening and height adjustability as my daily and race car both have them and i find coilovers awesome to drive on. Just not sure about the seperate spring and coil setup lol. The car currently is so soft in the suspension i get body roll going out my driveway. Im hoping to get it firm enough i can 3 wheel it out of my driveway.

Does anyone have any experience with the seperate spring shock coilover systems like the one i was looking at?

You need to remove the old spring perch and cut down the strut housing depending on the design. Its not really a job for a the back yarder unless your good with a mig. Id definitely pay the $100 or whatever it is to ensure the weld has good penetration and is solid as your whole car is resting on that weld. Also with the one piece coilovers on the rear. You need to go uprated RSM as the rear strut mount for these cars is not designed to take the extra loading that occurs from the spring now sitting on the shock. Think of it like this from factory the spring pushes on the subframe when you go coil overs you are moving that load point to the rear strut mount. You don't really need to use a single piece coil over for the rear of these cars the 2-piece system will work quite happily unless it is a track only car.

But i want the height adjustability that goes with having a coilover rear. I dont think the seperate spring shock can adjust height?

Got a message back from the D2 coilovers i posted up and they said theirs requires no welding?:S American E30's are the same as jap and euro spec ones arent they?

D2 would probably be the better brand as the others are made in taiwan or something like that haha. How do you strengthen up the rear shock mount? Can you just plate it with thicker steel?

But i want the height adjustability that goes with having a coilover rear. I dont think the seperate spring shock can adjust height?

The rears are still height adjustable. You might want to look into this more

Something like this im guessing?

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=57715

I think i get how they work. But do you have to remove the spring every time to change ride height? (in the case of a bmw as these do look a little different)

And will they still be fine for drifting on? Would make it so much easier if i can get the adjustment i want and be able to have it pretty much solid so i can drift on it. 3 of my other cars pick a wheel up going into my driveway and i want the beema to do the same :P

Do as others have said and get a beasty rear sway bar if you want to lift a wheel as you enter your driveway?

To swap rear springs out on an e30 is easy as cake, unbolt rear shock, pry spring out, insert new spring, bolt shock up.

I looked at ITB's when doing my M50 build. Basicly I figured the pain wasn't worth the gain.

The only real benefit is better throttle response and to get that as barf said you need to change to a MAP sensor. Which requires changing the ECU.

In otherwords its freakn expensive!! Does look cool as hell thou

Also with the one piece coilovers on the rear. You need to go uprated RSM as the rear strut mount for these cars is not designed to take the extra loading that occurs from the spring now sitting on the shock.

The uprating required to the chassis is pretty serious with this option.

You can, of course, get adjustable rear spring platforms in the stock position like in the ground-control kit.

In otherwords its freakn expensive!! Does look cool as hell thou

Cost can never be worth more than the epicness of an engine bay with ITB's :P Im all for go>show or function>form but ITB's are just epic cool.

The uprating required to the chassis is pretty serious with this option.

You can, of course, get adjustable rear spring platforms in the stock position like in the ground-control kit.

So seperate spring and shock seems like the way to go? Im just lost on how the adjustable spring platform works? Do you have to remove the spring, adjust the height, put it back in? or can you do it in car like the fronts?

Also would double factory swaybars work better than a heavy duty aftermarket one for the moment? I know alot of 31 skyline drifters and ke70 owners over here get longer bolts, a couple bits of RHS and mount 2 swaybars to make it firmer lol. Thought it could work? Atleast for a month or 2 and then get an aftermarket one.

Do it once, properly, or ya just burning money ;)

Edited by Jacko

Do it once, properly, or ya just burning money ;)

very much so

Im just lost on how the adjustable spring platform works?

Posted Image

know alot of 31 skyline drifters and ke70 owners over here get longer bolts, a couple bits of RHS and mount 2 swaybars to make it firmer lol. Thought it could work? Atleast for a month or 2 and then get an aftermarket one.

'the f**k?!

lolwut

So seperate spring and shock seems like the way to go? Im just lost on how the adjustable spring platform works? Do you have to remove the spring, adjust the height, put it back in? or can you do it in car like the fronts?

Seperate spring and shock is fine.. Yes, only have to unbolt the shock/jack the rear up to adjust..

Yes, only have to unbolt the shock/jack the rear up to adjust..

and usually the rear sway bar too ... which is a bitch to get back on yourself without a hoist ... 2 people and a jack + axel stands its sweet .. but it requires guiding the sway links back on... and jacking the trailing arm back up.

anyways, its easy to do.