Sign in to follow this  
brad91

ITB's

Do it once, properly, or ya just burning money ;)

What am i doing once and doing properly? suspension or ITB's?

And yea removing the shock is fine just wasnt sure if i would have to remove the spring, wind up the thing if it sits on it inside, then refit the spring and perch every time i want to adjust it. Has that spring adjustment thread been welded on or do they sit there?

and usually the rear sway bar too ... which is a bitch to get back on yourself without a hoist ... 2 people and a jack + axel stands its sweet .. but it requires guiding the sway links back on... and jacking the trailing arm back up.

anyways, its easy to do.

Can one person do it with a hoist? Moving house at the moment and will probably be getting a hoist in the new shed to do work on my race car and this thing.

To adjust those ground control rear spring perches pictured you can just jack the car up (by the diff - needs to be both sides - but support it safely of course once jacked up!), and then you can undo the allen headed grub screw (its imperial - not metric) and the spring wont be under any/much tension and you can just turn the adjuster and get the height right.

On JiB's old car, you didn't even need to undo the shocks (unless you wanted to get the spring out). Might not be the same on all, of course.

The perches just sit there - not welded on.

Sounds good. Will look into ordering them this week. With an ecu upgrade will i see a major increase in power with the ITB's over an ecu without ITB's? I want the extra power but have a 40k loan already and i get off my provisional licence in 11 months and can then drive turbo so might look at turbocharging then?

I really want them but $500 is my rego to get this thing on the road :S

Also i would be running the ITB's more than likely with trumpets on the end as im not going MS so i dont know if that will make any difference to power?

Read back over the stuff that has all ready been posted. If you don't have the money don't buy things that you do not need.

Are you really questioning if you should rego your car or get itb's that will not work for a long time to come and will not add any power?

What Glenn said.

if i were you, and had 300 bucks to buy a set of rare cheap ITB's, I'd buy them and sit on them till I could use them.

Good advice

Read back over the stuff that has all ready been posted. If you don't have the money don't buy things that you do not need.

Are you really questioning if you should rego your car or get itb's that will not work for a long time to come and will not add any power?

lol i have the money i just dont want to part with it. I have to work too hard to get it lol.

I was just thinking if they will add a decent amount of hp i will get them.

Would a 2.7 stroker with head work and MS create more power than a 2L with ITB's and headwork? (dont know if i would do the 2.7 bottom with ITB's for money reasons lol).

Oh and whats the peice thats normally welded onto coilovers to make them usable in e30's? Part where the hub mounts. I cant think of the name of it and want to ask this guy with coilovers if it actually has it like he says it does lol

Would a 2.7 stroker with head work and MS create more power than a 2L with ITB's and headwork? (dont know if i would do the 2.7 bottom with ITB's for money reasons lol).

Yes. You'd need to spend quite a bit to get a 2.0 to make similar power to an 2.7.

Read this: http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....c=31811&hl=

So the general opinion on here is that i wont need them? Will the factory 2L be enough to do a little bit of sliding until i get the money for a stroker motor and ecu? Also would porting and polishing the head with the stock ecu do any damage? Have a mate who im pretty sure can do it so was hoping he will do me a cashy lol.

omg just put a f**kin 2.7 in with rebuilt head, f**k the ITB's, put them away for a rainy day if you buy them, get adjustable shocks with custom springs/spring rates to your liking... get beefy sway bar/s, no issues with adjusties coz you'll just get the springs right first time for height and rates with abit of reading, you'll have good torque to spin your wheels, and a tight snappy rear end to slide about. READ what people have said..

If I had a rx7 I could drive in 11months, a daily, and a e30, and a 40k loan i'd just wait out the licence and start chipping that loan off to be honest..

To be honest, with the m20 you have to spend quite alot of $$$ to get any real noticeable gains. Sure ITB's, ECU, Headwork, exhaust etc are going to give you gains, but for the $$$ they cost they just aren't worth it. From a starting point of an m20b20, the best upgrade would be a 2.5/2.7/2.8. Then spend $$$ on that.

I personally think uprated suspension is the best place to spend $ in an e30.

omg just put a f**kin 2.7 in with rebuilt head, f**k the ITB's

Word.

You need to do some research man, put simply, ITB's will NOT give you more power, in exactly the same way as putting a 5" chrome exhaust tip on it will NOT give you more power.

Edited by Jacko

ok too easy. My bonnet is a pain to open anyway so it will just stay shut lol.

Going to sell my daily once i get the beema going and use the money from it to pay off a half decent whack of the loan.

But sincerely, thank you to everyone who has helped so far! :wub: I hope you can all be as much help in my next dilemma lol. Anyone know if they make seat rails to suit a Bride side mount seat for e30's? Or should i custom make one?

E30 specific universal rails.. bottom half bolts to e30 mounts, the rest is universal so u can chuck bride, recaro etc etc on them ,

or 90 degree angle iron on factory rails will adapt to anything..had my recaros on with angle iron over factory rails..dont have to weld or cut anything.. the wof inspector just didnt like them lol so am back to factorys 'til I get the uni rails I brought of Jack and work something out

Or u can solid/custom mount them exactly where u want them..which is easy

Have to try make it look legal though as apparently over here Bride seats arent approved for road use??

The seat has generic rails that come with it. When i get a chance and get it regoed ill pull the seat off and sit the other rails on and see if it is low enough or if i will sit too high.

Anybody know what other bmw models came out with LSD's and if they will fit? Want to try get an LSD to stay away from a locker if i can. Can you shim BMW LSD's at all as you would with a nissan diff to make it tighter and almost locked/able to lock under very little amount of spin?

Yup you can shim E30 LSD's, theres even instructions online on how to do it. Ive never done it, but it looks easy enough.

You want an E30 Medium case diff, I pulled mine apart the other day, for a stock diff designed for a sohc six theyre impressively tough looking inside, and heavy as hell!

Youll need to work out what ratio you want, depends greatly on your cars gearbox, and how its gonna be driven.

Expect to pay $600AU+ for a diff though.

What would a decent ratio be? It was origionally auto and i went to a manual box for the 6 cylinder. Was hard as hell to get a tailshaft for aswell. Apparently i got the last one in brisbane for it and it came out of a coupe lol. Every other one was like 40mm too long.

First gear is pretty useless. For memory 40kph in 3rd gear is like 3500rpm lol.

What do i need to look for on the gearbox?

Also how does that site work? I can get the tyre diameter to work but the gear ratio bit doesnt do anything for me? Where do you enter information? lol

EDIT: i was reading that bmw's have a large overdrive 5th gear? So if i had a 4.1 auto diff that was pretty crappy gearing would i still get decent highway speed in 5th? My street isnt long enough to get into 5th in the beema lol. Only just get on boost in the fc then have to jump on the brakes again lol

Edited by brad91

hey brad, the DIYPNP megasquirt with Bosch 55-pin is here www.diyautotune.com/catalog/diypnp-bosch-55pin-unassembled-kit-p-385.html

make sure you have the Motronic 55-pin and not some earlier connector otherwise, you'll need to wire the basic Megasquirt kit to your existing loom but, there is plenty of good documentation on the E30/M20 wiring.

the ECU is a logical place to start. Megasquirt is a great engine control system, and just as capable as the newest Link G4s (which are great too). the only difference is price.

good luck with your project. given the ideal gas law, the net power is difficult to increase, versus a standard manifold. what improves is the engine's response under-foot. btw, are these the slide-type ITBs from a GT-R? :o

Yup you can shim E30 LSD's, theres even instructions online on how to do it. Ive never done it, but it looks easy enough.

link plz?

On the buying the ITB's dilema, look here http://www.dbilas-dynamic.de/dbilas_eng/index.htm and see what Dbilas claim for one of there ITB manifolds for a M20.

With their chip they claim 20hp is typical, therefore all things being equal... Aftermarket chip or stand alone ecu plus ITBs should net roughly the same.

Before doing anything though, research and learn everything you can. There are lots of good and free information out there.

Now that im looking for it I cant find it. Shouldve bookmarked :rolleyes:

Will post when google starts working ;)

good luck with your project. given the ideal gas law, the net power is difficult to increase, versus a standard manifold. what improves is the engine's response under-foot. btw, are these the slide-type ITBs from a GT-R? :o

I have no idea what type of ITB's they are from? They are off an RB26 if that helps?

Gona order some coilovers hopefully this week if my paypal account decides to finish connecting to my bank lol.

Will have a read of that clutch info when i get a chance. Will also have a ring around and try to find an lsd diff for the right price.

Also should i run a cheap set of sportmaxx rims that i can get on ebay in 16x8 0 offset all round for like $800+tyres or i can get a set of oldschool rays meshies 15x8 unknown offset but 4x114.3 so i could run converison spacers and make them 0 offset?

Im pretty sure 0 offset fits in the rear but will 8's with 0 offset fit under the front guards? (guards will be rolled but preferrably not overly flared lol)