Sign in to follow this  
fatjoez

anyone able to flash/modify the computer?

aloha

yeah alls well forgot to update this thread

Not 100% sure if putting the wrong letter would mess things up,

I read on one forum one guy said you just write the ECU values over again,

But anyway yea just backup the original file everytime & be very slow / precise with the changes you make & you'll be fine

It's very powerful if you change the right things

Something to get you started with coding.

For those interested in recoding modules its easily done with NCS/NCSExpert. That is what NCS/NCSExpert is designed to do by BMW. This usually but not allways comes as part of the Ediabas/INPA software package that can be found on the net.

The learning curve can be steep at first.

Start here:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=233

and here:

http://ecubb.bmwecu.org/board/

Other things of interest are NCS Dummy which is a programme that shows ALL coding possibilities for each module. Not just the ones applicable for your car. The same module can be used in many different cars and requires specific coding for each car. eg E39, X5 etc

Replacement modules are programmed with all posibilities to suit all cars that use that module. This is to do with rationalising the number of spare parts.

The coding for your car is stored in a module such as the instrument panel/Kombi (E39) and other modules as well for redundancy purposes.

NCS has several different options or profiles that can be used. You can also create your own profile.

1. Straight out simple coding of a replacement module without any changes with info from the Kombi.

2. Expert mode allows changes that can be made for things such as auto door locking, key/car memory options

3. Manipulation mode which allows changes that are programmed in the module but not available for your particular model. This is where NCS Dummy comes in as it can read and display all programmable items in the module. Just be aware that if you don't have the necessary hardware you can code that option but of course nothing will happen.

eg: Expert mode will allow you to add HID or LED lights and not get the globe warnings.

Hope this helps

RonR B)

Edited by Aussie528iT

Reviving this post because I need a short term recode fix. My E39 currently has a replacement driver's seat while I repair lumbar and restore the leather on the original. Unfortunately the backup seat doesn't have the steering column adjustment module so the dash airbag light's permanently on and there's a module fault code (can't remember the exact code).

Got a WOF due in about a month and don't think I'll be able to (afford to) get the original seat back in by then.

Is anyone in Auckland able to recode the OBC so it recognises the replacement seat? I presume I'll then need to recode again when the original seat's back in.

Help appreciated.

Edited by jeffbebe

Reviving this post because I need a short term recode fix. My E39 currently has a replacement driver's seat while I repair lumbar and restore the leather on the original. Unfortunately the backup seat doesn't have the steering column adjustment module so the dash airbag light's permanently on and there's a module fault code (can't remember the exact code).

Got a WOF due in about a month and don't think I'll be able to (afford to) get the original seat back in by then.

Is anyone in Auckland able to recode the OBC so it recognises the replacement seat? I presume I'll then need to recode again when the original seat's back in.

Help appreciated.

Have diagnosed a couple of E39s, but have never had experience coding the E39 in the past, have done many light checks and other things on E46, E92, R60, R56 and the 1 series ... could give it a go if it's just a simple command thing within module (i.e. turn the check off) - Technically you can turn the airbag off also, but that would be highly illegal and I won't do it for anyone.

I'll take a look at the E39 modules and commands tonight and let you know.

Edited by M3_Power

Have diagnosed a couple of E39s, but have never had experience coding the E39 in the past, have done many light checks and other things on E46, E92, R60, R56 and the 1 series ... could give it a go if it's just a simple command thing within module (i.e. turn the check off) - Technically you can turn the airbag off also, but that would be highly illegal and I won't do it for anyone.

I'll take a look at the E39 modules and commands tonight and let you know.

Thanks Tom. Don't want to do anything illegal, just want the car to think it's got the right driver's seat in there for a little while!

Thanks Tom. Don't want to do anything illegal, just want the car to think it's got the right driver's seat in there for a little while!

I have a car soft scanner thing that will clear the airbag light

I have a car soft scanner thing that will clear the airbag light

Cheers, but still need to recode to accept the replacement seat or the airbag light comes straight back on as soon as the car does it's usual checks.

I've looked through quite a few things and googled a bit online and no one it seems have turned such a function off. I have however found that it might be linked to the seat memory function (i.e. the seat and steering moves when you unlock and open the door) - in the SM module there is a function to turn this off.

It's going to be a bit of a trial and error on this I am afraid.

I have read on another post that you might be able to just pull a fuse for the steering column adjust? Not sure if this will work as you'll still need to clear codes.

I don't really want to recode the Vehicle order (apparently 244 is the option code for the electric steering column adjust) - this can often lead to issues if not done properly.

Is your car OBD2 compliant? What year is it?

All my stuff is set up for OBD2, so if your car is round plug you might need to get Josh (Hybrid) to help you out, as his stuff is set up to operate on ADS round plug more than OBD2.

This from Tom (M3_Power). My car's a 1996 so only OBD I in the engine bay. Josh, is something you might be able to help out with?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Ya,

Ive been doing a fair bit of playing around with NCS expert & Inpa lately.

its pretty cool stuff really...

great for changing settings like seat belt chimes, warning lights for Led bulbs etc, retrofitting stuff, changing vehicle order etc etc etc.

If anyone is in the Wairarapa / Wellington area and you want things changed up come and have a play...

Dean