Sign in to follow this  
benamobob

E34 On Trademe

Really getting on the E34 buzz lately and have decided to finally get one after mulling the idea around for about a year. I'm really picky when it comes to them though and its tough to find a decent one on trademe with good k's.

Trade Me

Is 250000k's on these that much of an issue?

Thoughts?

Really getting on the E34 buzz lately and have decided to finally get one after mulling the idea around for about a year. I'm really picky when it comes to them though and its tough to find a decent one on trademe with good k's.

Trade Me

Is 250000k's on these that much of an issue?

Thoughts?

i am biased 250 is nothing IF they have been looked after.I am selling my 535is black on black 270,000 see my starter thread here will be posting some more pics in the next day or two

Mileage is not as relevant as maintenence. Find one that has been well maintained and they are an exceptionally good car to own. 400k still going strong is not unheard of for one of these.

Shimmys can be notoriously difficult to eliminate. Diff bushes and front control arms are usual suspects. So test drive on the open road as well as urban area.

Well, with high mileage car, a good deal of suspension parts, drive links etc will need replacing if they haven't already been done.

If it's been a motorway driven car, then it will naturally be better than one thats done low speed down driving over bumps and what not.

In my old 540i 1993, which had 251,000ks I found it needed a fair bit of work (even though it was very tidy), from memory I spent around $1500 on the front suspension and engine/trans mounts, but doing that amplified the sloppy drive shaft bearing, and rear subframe/rear links so I was going to need to do all those as well, accept that was going to be at least another $2000 in parts + lots of labor in the garage.

Ultimately it's why I sold the car. Never bothered doing all that, I figured it just wasn't worth it in the end for what is still a somewhat slow car, even though it was a 540i

When i got my 535i it had done around 510,000km and all i replaced suspension wise was front shocks and sway bar links as the boot were cracked.

Where service history and receipts come in useful so you know whats been done.

Out of all the E34 and E32 ive always been able to fix shimmys by getting wheels balanced and swapping the best rims and\or tyres to the front or just swapping front to back.

When i got my 535i it had done around 510,000km and all i replaced suspension wise was front shocks and sway bar links as the boot were cracked.

Where service history and receipts come in useful so you know whats been done.

Out of all the E34 and E32 ive always been able to fix shimmys by getting wheels balanced and swapping the best rims and\or tyres to the front or just swapping front to back.

and or the thrust arm bushes and arms