Sign in to follow this  
nipe

BIG QUESTION

But is it worth it going to the hx40 over h1c?

and secondly I would be more interested in the torque than horsepower

That is painful to read.

WTF?

this seems to be going well

i would still get some better rods and pistons to keep it reliable even tho you wanted to go it on a budget after changing engines a few times youll be wishing you had spent a little more.

the down side of the hx is the lack of turbine hsgs to pick for most are 16cm or around 1 a/r not making it that responcive but i can fit garrett hsg to them of needed.

how much do you realy want to spend on the build?

The "painful" was possibly because HP is torque x rpm (as a simplification).

Do you really need 400hp? i can't imagine tyre choices that fit on an E30 dealing with 300rwhp let alone 400rwhp.

Edited by CamB

Cam is on the button ^.

Why so, Henry?

Just have a wee read of a 'torque vs horsepower' Google search. What the majority of people define as a car with 'massive power', rather than a torque-y car, is a car which keeps making more and more torque at high RPM. If you desire a car with 'torque', then you will want a small turbo. Like a GT28 sized one, maybe GT30. Not a holset bus turbo haha

Yeah you guys have a point, but It's going to get in a differet budget league quite soon if I go for anything other than holset, so might as well stick with them for the time being. Regarding the 400hp mark, it's just an indication of the sort of maximum power I would be hoping to get, not aiming for anything more than that. Regarding the rods and pistons, I don't think it's worth going for aftermarket ones for my goals really, so definitely not going there. I've only seen melted pistons and only couple bent rods and all that mostly due to bad tuning. Put it that way, I'm not going to keep pushing it until i get 400 hp at the wheels, I will still be going by best curve i can get and by how i feel driving it more than anything. Thanks guys

i think we are all trying to tell you that HP=$$.

amazingly, its not a theory,the more HP's,will need more $$ to keep it

1,on the road and 2,one one piece under the bonnet.

15psi will (at very best) double the hp of the original engine.

what your hoping for (400) will need 20+ psi.

i'm not cued up on holset units,but just read the flow charts and

make an informed choice your-self.

hoping and aiming for a HP goal are two very different statements,

please be clear to yourself if you want to finish this project ,reaching a hp goal,and is it worth the time and

effort.

if you want 400hp DO add rods at minimum.

you cant biuld something like this on a 'warehouse' sized budget

rant over

i think we are all trying to tell you that HP=$$.

amazingly, its not a theory,the more HP's,will need more $$ to keep it

1,on the road and 2,one one piece under the bonnet.

15psi will (at very best) double the hp of the original engine.

what your hoping for (400) will need 20+ psi.

i'm not cued up on holset units,but just read the flow charts and

make an informed choice your-self.

hoping and aiming for a HP goal are two very different statements,

please be clear to yourself if you want to finish this project ,reaching a hp goal,and is it worth the time and

effort.

if you want 400hp DO add rods at minimum.

you cant biuld something like this on a 'warehouse' sized budget

rant over

I dont think thats a rant but it is never the less true,hp isnt hard reliability and money is what makes it happen for more than 10min,

Rods arnt that bad to buy these days and SPEEDFACTOR covers them at a good price, im sure you can achive what your after but dont just take whats given here with more than a grain of salt, its all meant to help before it turns to custard.

Edited by Westy

Let's not start an argument here. 1st of all I'm pretty sure I haven't said anything about "warehouse" budget. 2nd I'm trying to not to spend too much where it is not needed e.g. turbo, therefore I created this thread to see what advices I can gather, now have a look at first page and then compare it to the second page. I might be bit blind, but there wasn't much there about aftermarket rods or pistons. Now if anybody still feel the need to put something in this thread could you please look at first posts with questions and try to discuss on them. 3rd I'm not at all saying that stuff you guys, I'm not putting new rods and pistons in, I'm still listening to what you are saying, it's a first serious build for me so please be considerate:) It also is not easy to adjust my build to new incoming advices as for example I nearly ordered new bearings already, where if I'm using aftermarket rods I'd have to go for different bearings, so if there's anything else on your minds that hasn't been mentioned yet, but you think it's essential please post it so I can adjust the ordering etc asap to not make silly decisions. Thanks a lot for input so far, you guys been great!:)

Also please feel free to suggest good rods and pistons.

Crunchy, thanks for the rod suggestion, I'll check them out tomorrow!

I know the crunchy is a turbo charging legend here in NZ, but the best place to have a thread like this is here http://www.e30tech.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23

All they use on that forum is Holset turbos.

I'd read every thread on the first 10 pages, then consider making a 'please advices' thread.

I know the crunchy is a turbo charging legend here in NZ, but the best place to have a thread like this is here http://www.e30tech.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23

All they use on that forum is Holset turbos.

I'd read every thread on the first 10 pages, then consider making a 'please advices' thread.

They all tend to weld the water passages and o ring the head with using factory head gasket advising against metal gaskets mostly, this thread however is a complete opposite so far.

Cause they are all budget arse builds like most NZ BMW turbo stuff hahaa. Ala: polleys comment :D

Oh right, any particular reasons? Your post seemed ok I think.