Sign in to follow this  
beemn

02 E39 Beacon antenna

Maybe a Question for Jochen or Grant (hotwire), i have/had mounted up the top of the front window a BMW part with part number 65.90-8 385 448 Beacon Antenna, was next to the rain sensor, any ideal what it would be for, have dissconnected it , kept comming off in the heat since i had a new windscreen fitted, originally thought it was for tolls, but maybe someone else here has one on their car?, its a rectangle shape, will post a pic if needed

Maybe a Question for Jochen or Grant (hotwire), i have/had mounted up the top of the front window a BMW part with part number 65.90-8 385 448 Beacon Antenna, was next to the rain sensor, any ideal what it would be for, have dissconnected it , kept comming off in the heat since i had a new windscreen fitted, originally thought it was for tolls, but maybe someone else here has one on their car?, its a rectangle shape, will post a pic if needed

its a receiver for electronic road tolls in japan. you can remove it... not used in new zealand

its a receiver for electronic road tolls in japan. you can remove it... not used in new zealand

Didnt know BMW made OE stuff for the toll roads, nice

Yep Milan, as above. Would have been specced like that for the car's intended Jap market

My imported E60 5 Series had one up there aswell, as soon as I knew what it was it was removed fast.

Yup mine had it as well, It was the first thing I removed.

Sorry to resurrect an old post, could I ask how people removed theirs? I've also got the pesky card reader just down by the driver's knee (side of centre console).

Was planning on cutting the wires (tape them off so they don't short) and tucking the wires away...

Sorry to resurrect an old post, could I ask how people removed theirs? I've also got the pesky card reader just down by the driver's knee (side of centre console).

Was planning on cutting the wires (tape them off so they don't short) and tucking the wires away...

Trace the wires back to source & disconnect

Not that I have done it yet, but I believe that the beacon (VICs) system operates on 2.4Ghz and so this means that the vehicle is fitted with a coax from the rear of the vehicle to a 2.4Ghz antenna on the windscreen. Apart from the fact that the antenna faces outwards, this is a method of getting TCU or ULF signals back up to the from of the vehicle.