Sign in to follow this  
sonic_attack

6 series - 635CSI Ownership.

Have been considering buying one of these for a while - Or my whole adolescent/adult life really - But am getting serious about it now. I had a couple of questions for the larger NZ Krautwagen community and probably 6'er series owners in general.

Being not your common garden variety Bim rolling around on NZ roads I suppose I might be a little concerned about availability of parts and replacement bit's 'n pieces that I'd need when owning one of these, as you do with any 25-30 year old car I guess. I'm a bit of a low budget dirtbag so generally I pull things apart and stitch them all back together again myself for the most part, and I understand that the six shares a lot of parts with the 5 series of the same era.

So, would there be any particular year/s of six series I'd be looking at to widen/broaden the availability of major components I might need to rob from a 5 series to maintain this gorgeous beast?

Also, if I was to use Trademe as a reference (doesn't everyone?), there seems to be a few left handers available - While I'm really not keen on the idea, is there any reason I wouldn't look at a left hooker if I saw something simply too hot looking to ignore? Are left handers all completely wrong in the way the components are manufactured so as to narrow the availability of used spares down to a tiny niche? I love my 1980's tack, but some of the int/ext colour combo's are simply too funky for me to love so I suppose I'm a bit picky really and don't mind waiting for the right car to come along.

Cheers.

Get one!! they're amazing!!

My brother had a mint 633csi about 10 years ago, picked it up for about 9k back then from memory (couldn't quite afford the 635csi). It was an amazing car. It was some time ago but if I remember correctly -4 speed manual, 200hp, (this is the 633 I’m talking about) comfortable, beautiful exhaust sound, enough torque to tow a house... everything about it was just fantastic. He took it to TSV in Palmerston North for a custom suspension job (coils, bushes and sways I think) and lowered it about 30mm, picked up some nice 16's of a 5’er, and had a full engine rebuild done by the Trentham Army workshop in-between fixing broken Rovers ;) Never really had any issues.

Get one!! they're amazing!!

My brother had a mint 633csi about 10 years ago, picked it up for about 9k back then from memory (couldn't quite afford the 635csi). It was an amazing car. It was some time ago but if I remember correctly -4 speed manual, 200hp, (this is the 633 I’m talking about) comfortable, beautiful exhaust sound, enough torque to tow a house... everything about it was just fantastic. He took it to TSV in Palmerston North for a custom suspension job (coils, bushes and sways I think) and lowered it about 30mm, picked up some nice 16's of a 5’er, and had a full engine rebuild done by the Trentham Army workshop in-between fixing broken Rovers ;) Never really had any issues.

get the lastest one you can i reckon....watch out for rust esp in the non NZ new ones

Sold ( gave away )my 1980 6 35 in march . Parts specific to them impossible to get & BMW stopped making parts for them while ago .This I found to my expense after taking the 5 speed out & spliting it for overhaul only to find no parts available anywhere -i tried every BMW supplier i could find world wide .Not even the bearings & no substitute available either . Best I could get was SKF said if I gave them the old bearings they could remanufacture at $$ . Couldnt get master cylinder or clutch slave so had to get them resleeved . BMW said they would always provide parts for their classics but guess economics & pressure to sell new cars changed that , needless to say I was very dissapointed & glad to be rid of it . Bought a 328 i s now .

I agree with kiwi535 and get they latest one you can at the time. I'd never buy one that was earlier than 1982 as suspension setup is too archaic.

Good site for info if you haven't already found it - http://www.e-24.ru/eng/theory/evolution/ . '

They changed something every year almost.

Wanting a 635csi one of these days, just holding out for a tidy decently priced manual.

hello guys ;) i got mine last year. and i proud having 635CSI. its really amazing..great speed as ever. :D then if i need a bmw replacement parts i saw an online store for me to buy on. really cheap price.

Wheelbase 2625 mm 103.3 in

Track front 1430 mm 56.3 in

rear 1464 mm 57.6 in

Length 4755 mm 187.2 in

Width 1753 mm 69 in

Height 1384 mm 54.5 in

Length:wheelbase ratio 1.81

Ground clearance 140 mm 5.5 in

Kerb weight 1427 kg 3146 lb

Weight distribution

(Front) 57.00 %

Fuel capacity 70 litres 15.4 UK

Gal 18.5 US Gal

Edited by summer

Sold ( gave away )my 1980 6 35 in march . Parts specific to them impossible to get & BMW stopped making parts for them while ago .This I found to my expense after taking the 5 speed out & spliting it for overhaul only to find no parts available anywhere -i tried every BMW supplier i could find world wide .Not even the bearings & no substitute available either . Best I could get was SKF said if I gave them the old bearings they could remanufacture at $$ . Couldnt get master cylinder or clutch slave so had to get them resleeved . BMW said they would always provide parts for their classics but guess economics & pressure to sell new cars changed that , needless to say I was very dissapointed & glad to be rid of it . Bought a 328 i s now .

Regarding the master/slave cylinder...you can't have looked far? There are tons of online stores to buy this sort of stuff (like I did for my mate currently building his e24 up).

I can't comment on the gearbox parts.

Regarding the master/slave cylinder...you can't have looked far? There are tons of online stores to buy this sort of stuff (like I did for my mate currently building his e24 up).

I can't comment on the gearbox parts.

I only tried local dealer for cylinders , in end only cost $150 to have them sleeved in SS & new seals .