Sign in to follow this  
fritz.hu

E39 530i bogging and surging

Hi guys,

I have here an ex-Japan 2000 model 530i with the badass M54B30. Manufactured 00/11 and has factory angel-eyes :D

I'm having some odd problems with the motor:

• When cold, it seems to not idle very smoothly - I've never had a BMW before that didn't idle smoothly when cold
  • When warmed up and accelerating smoothly after slowing down (e.g. when exiting a roundabout), the revs drop from 1500 to 1000rpm and the engine sounds as if its struggling - this continues for a second or two before it jumps back up to 1500-2000rpm, apparently from a downshift. This is quite annoying.
  • When accelerating briskly, e.g. shifted into Sport and with medium-heavy throttle onto a motorway onramp, it pulls OK, but at 3200rpm the revs suddenly drop a little - no noticable drop in power, though - after a short moment the revs pick up again, and then it starts pulling harder.
  • Finally, when accelerating hard from a standstill, it picks up quite slowly until it hits around 3000RPM, before it starts going like stink.

It just overall doesn't seem to have that "brutal torque" that I've come to know from BMW motors. My previous car, a '96 328i, would slap you back in the seat if you planted it at the lights; this one is more like a surge thrusting you back in your seat.

Does anyone know what these symptoms might be relating to?

Edited by fritz.hu

It would need to be scanned to determine the fault. What location are you from ?

It would need to be scanned to determine the fault. What location are you from ?

Hmm, strange - it hasn't shown me any warning/check lights...

I'm up in Orewa, Rodney district. Nice town :)

Edited by fritz.hu

I've heard a lot about the VANOS seals on the M54's failing and causing similar symptoms. Does this actually happen, or is it just a guy who's trying to make a buck selling replacements?

Faults quite often don't throw errors, depends what the fault is... metered or unmetered . In 30 odd years I've only ever replaced 1 Vanos unit. I suggest letting me have a look at it for you.

Just get someone to take a look at it dude, I've found by the time you research, and think it's this and that, it is usually something else and the cost to have an expert look at it is the same anyway. The old kiwi DIY has allot to answear for lol.

I Had a similar problem & it turned out to be a cracked intake boot, when accelerating it would suck in unmetered air which caused it to surge.

That said, a diagnostics scan picks up everything so is usually a better option. Saves you sooo much time and guess work!

M52 TU/54 twin vanos engines suffered from cold start jolting badly during warm up. Not really a scanable problem. Hard to detect in warm conditions but very bad in winter. Changed my vanos seals and all surges gone, very smooth.

sweet, thanks guys :D

I just found this: http://www.beisansystems.com/

Is there any weight to this guy's claims? If so, this might be my problem?

Just reiterating what Wayney has mentioned. Only noticeable in when engine is cold, and warming up. Symptoms are rpm rising & falling and maybe stalling, but this is only when idling at cold. Exactly what beisansystems.com describe to the very last detail. However they say M54 has the same problem but does not display these symptoms.

I have taken my car to the mechanic a few times and they could not diagnose the problem. The only fault they got was o2 sensor & cylinders not firing. They check o2 sensor, ignition coil, wiring, plugs, intake system and all was fine.

After I found beisansystems.com, I thought why not, it's only like $60 and the problem is gone and even noticed the car has a little more power in low-mid rpm. Don't know much about high rpm :)

Whatever the problem is with your car you need to fix that but it would be worth getting the vanos seals done too.

Correction: my description is only for M52TU engine. Reading the symptoms on beisansystems.com for M54, it fits your description exactly.

It looks like Wayney has a M52TU too, is that right Wayney?

Edited by tonylauno1

Yes Tony, but M54 motor cops this problem too especially ZHP. Not well documented on this forum but huge in US. Real pain when in mid warm up, Besian systems write up is a read for all twin vanos owners. Good chance their vanos unit is not functioning correctly.

Well, I bit the bullet, bought a diagnostic scanner and then bought some Beisan Systems seals for the M54.

Initial impressions, 4 days and 100km after installing them: PWHOAR.

- Lumpy cold idle is resolved

- Engine runs quiet and smooth, no more VANOS rattle either

- Takeoffs are indeed smoother, requires less throttle to get somewhere

- Power delivery is smooth as butter

- No more bogging, no more surging

and most awesome of all:

- Throttle response and take-off is BRUTAL

If you put it in sport and floor it at the lights, it does slap you back in the seat now, and pulls HARD right off idle.

I don't think overall power is increased, but low-end, less-than-full throttle is definitely and markedly improved.

Recommended for all M54 owners with >90k on the clock who want to feel like they have a new car again :D

Edited by fritz.hu

Well, I bit the bullet, bought a diagnostic scanner and then bought some Beisan Systems seals for the M54.

Initial impressions, 4 days and 100km after installing them: PWHOAR.

- Engine runs quiet and smooth, no more VANOS rattle either

Did you do the rattle repair or just the seals ?

Cheers

Hey all, it's been several years now, and the 530i is still in the family - thought I'd update y'all on how it's doing.

Still flawless, still drives as well as when I did the seals. Good on ya, Beisan Systems!

Camera doctor, I only did the seals, but it actually did help the rattle a bit. Didn't take it away, but helped.

• Like 1