Sign in to follow this  
BadBm_

So i was driving

While i was driving my car made a funny noise and then this came of :( what is it ? and my car starts to shake lets say if i leave it on park for like 5 min when it on operating temp it starts shaking but then if i drive it goes away

e36 328i

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/4933/12192737.jpg

Edited by BadBm_

Looks like you've snapped your tensioner pulley off. One of the belts at the front of your engine should be quite loose

Not pricey (assuming it hasn't wrecked anything else) and easy to fix. You have 2 belts on the front. One goes to the air conditioning(drivers side) if the pulley has come off that side no big deal. If it's come off the other side I wouldn't be driving it. If you find out which it is i'll be able to help in the morning with part numbers and how to install.

I had a look without removing anything. I see one of those things on passenger side or kinda in the middle I only see one, am I surpose to see only one ?

The car drives fine but I just can't leave it on park on operating temp for long or else will shake whole car.

If I were you I would not be driving or starting the car until you get it repaired, could cost you way more if you do more damage.

Should be either 15 or 6 in the following diag.

Posted Image

Edited by M-Spec

could also be the A/c pump one .

dont drive it , it might over heat the engine and cook it .

It dosent over heat drives fine. So what parts do I need to get to fix it ?

Edited by BadBm_

first you gotta figure out exactly which one it is. i did mine. got the pulley from hellbm for 50 bucks i think.

i had to remove radiator + shroud and the belts to put in the new pulley.

It dosent over heat drives fine. So what parts do I need to get to fix it ?

Yea but now that the belt is probably as loose as a goose it could easily come off and cook your engine. Don't be a muppet. Get it fixed. It's not a difficult operation.

How do I no what one came of 16 or 5 like I can see one it like right in the middle so guess that's 16 and 5 is the one missing ?

Highly recommend taking it too a mechanic who is a bit more confident about fixing it, no offense meant, but from your replies I dont think you are up to it.

Dont drive it, its likely gonna be cheap to fix at the moment, as long as it doesnt get any more busted in the mean time :mellow:

Where are you in auckland?

Mate why not take a photo of your engine bay - loking towards the pulleys and someone on here may be able to help you diagnose which pulley it is - otherwise get a mech to look at it!

If you keep driving it and you damage it more, don't say you weren't warned. BMW didn't put that pulley there for no reason!!

Highly recommend taking it too a mechanic who is a bit more confident about fixing it, no offense meant, but from your replies I dont think you are up to it.

Dont drive it, its likely gonna be cheap to fix at the moment, as long as it doesnt get any more busted in the mean time :mellow:

Where are you in auckland?

Yeah I probaly can't fix it sigh..... I live in the botany area

Can you help me :)

Click me

Just do it, its your best bet.

I've been there before a bit pricy for me :S , but I no it a good place my cousin always takes his car there,

If Glen could give me a quote how much it will cost I might take it there

Edited by BadBm_

It's a 10 minute job if you know what you are doing. I'd say take it to a shop and just pay, it wont be expensive. I'm not sure how much a new pulley is though, but I cant see them costing the earth.

This isn't a big job. Just get it fixed until you poke your entire engine.

It's a 10 minute job if you know what you are doing. I'd say take it to a shop and just pay, it wont be expensive. I'm not sure how much a new pulley is though, but I cant see them costing the earth.

This isn't a big job. Just get it fixed until you poke your entire engine.

Wish I new how to fix it. Would have safed alot of $$.

Waiting for glen to give me a quote.

Wish I new how to fix it. Would have safed alot of $$.

Waiting for glen to give me a quote.

I can't price what I can't see or what has not been described properly. I would need to see it. I would also be very concerned about the vibration you also describe from the engine.

I can't price what I can't see or what has not been described properly. I would need to see it. I would also be very concerned about the vibration you also describe from the engine.

It dosent always vibrate just rarely, can you give me time on Friday I can come ?

I've been there before a bit pricy for me :S

On the 18th October we inspected your car for overheating issues, we did a full scan ( normaly $50 incl Gst Retail ), inspected and checked the cooling system, providing you with a written report and never got to do any of the work necessary to correct the faults. We did not charge a scan fee and we charged you $45.94 including Gst for our time (Labour) I suggest you find someone else to waste time with.

I suggest you find someone else to waste time with.

There is no likes buttons so:

Posted Image