Sign in to follow this  
Gotheschu

How to Stroke a M20

EDIT: Don't worry Glenn, I know I don't have the skill level to do it thats why I wanted to know the process so I could find out what I could do and what I would get help with.

There is a hell of alot to it Jack... even mechanics can get it wrong

It broke a crank too didn't it Tony ?

Turns out it was the flywheel walking about on the back of the crank.

So in the end it wasn't as bad as thought.

Turns out it was the flywheel walking about on the back of the crank.

So in the end it wasn't as bad as thought.

Who owned up for that mistake ?

We had the same thing on the ACS 635Csi motor in the B&H series years ago, rooted the motor and we had to fly another one out from Germany

Edited by *Glenn*

Just a case of not using new bolts and reusing the old ones.

I went over the top and lock tighted mine with LT blue. I made sure I cleaned off the standard BMW yellow wax first.

Just a case of not using new bolts and reusing the old ones.

I went over the top and lock tighted mine with LT blue. I made sure I cleaned off the standard BMW yellow wax first.

I do with clutches and flywheels too, no way you want that sh*t to come loose at 5 grand.

Dont think it was ever put down to any one thing. Just one of those things that sometimes happens.

There was no damage to anything, so all was good with the world.

PS. He was only pulling 6500 rpm.

PPS. Allways locktite your flywheel bolts. (Although it appeared that these were locktited.)

Plenty can go wrong at 6,500rpm, nothing f**ks with locktite so surprising that happened?

The main thing is clean threads for the bolts and mating surfaces ... I brass brushed and brass 'pipe cleanered' my threads first .. (brass doesnt damage the / scratch thread surfaces)

Something I learnt when doing offroading after several years, I had my wheels nearly coming off after a muddy day out .. dirty threads + bad torque settings = bad.

The main thing is clean threads for the bolts and mating surfaces ... I brass brushed and brass 'pipe cleanered' my threads first .. (brass doesnt damage the / scratch thread surfaces)

Something I learnt when doing offroading after several years, I had my wheels nearly coming off after a muddy day out .. dirty threads + bad torque settings = bad.

How to stroke a M20?

Always a laugh how threads change as they progress :ph34r::P

How to stroke a M20?

Always a laugh how threads change as they progress :ph34r::P

haha the sh*t it the fan pretty quick with this question compared to my other ones =)

You don't do thing by halves do you Jack? From no car to a race car to a stroked 2.8 m20?? There are some smaller steps in between these points as well. Start small, then build up to something big, aiming straight for the big stuff is likely to lead to lots of lost $$$ and big disappointments.

Money is going to be be a big factor in your decisions for many years yet, soon beer and women will enter the equation but that's another thread, neither a race car or a heavily modified E30 is going to fit in the cheap and reliable category of car ownership.

Unless you have the skills and tools to do a lot of work yourself (or mates / relations that can) high maintenance cars soon loose their appeal.. nothing worse than fixing a "hot" car while your mates are out having fun in their "boring" econo-boxes.

Start with something reliable and cheap to run, that is maybe a little bit of fun, then move up to something with more performance, add a few go-faster bits and pieces, then aim for the heavily modified track day car. You can still have fun at each stage and be learning and working towards your end objective.

Or just do whatever the hell you feel like, we were all young and full of big ideas once.......

i agree with above about fixing your car while mates are out having fun...however for those few hours my car is running it seams worth it for some crazy reason haha.

If you want a bit more power why not just go for basic 2.7 or something like i was planning?