Sign in to follow this  
Gotheschu

How to Stroke a M20

I know Sam ( Hellboy ) Did this and if I get the money I want for my Series car Ill just go buy his 2.8 but if i don't Ill do it myself.

So I'd want to get a M325i and stroke it up to either 2.8l, or 3.1l.

Big question is how do I do it, what do I need to do it properly, how much it will cost, and how long it will take once I have all the parts I need.

Also, what are these like on gas out of curiosity =)

Jack

Edited by Young Jack

for the 2.8L you will want a e36 328i or e39 528i etc crank .

for bigger go for the 3L crank from a e46 330i etc and then bore your block and fit custom pistons etc .

i have a 3L block/crank if you need.

do search there are few articals on the web

Theres a bit on the e30 zone wiki.

So I'd want to get a M325i and stroke it up to either 2.8l, or 3.1l.

Also, what are these like on gas out of curiosity =)

Are you sure you need a stroker?

I'm doine a 2.8 right now, same set up as sams. E39 2.8 crank etc. Will run ITB's.

If you are worried on what they will cost on gas, you will not be able to run it.

But atleast 3k to do it good and proper.

Alpina b3.3 or 3.4 crank will add bigger grins. Not sure if anyone has put one of these in an m20 though.

Why stroke vs m50/2?

Indecorous would love to see more info on the engine build

I'm doine a 2.8 right now, same set up as sams. E39 2.8 crank etc. Will run ITB's.

If you are worried on what they will cost on gas, you will not be able to run it.

But atleast 3k to do it good and proper.

Just curious on how much they drink ashkan.

CamB I don't need a stroker but I want it to be a track car quicker than a E30 series car or I might as well keep the blue one and leave it parked up. I know I'll get messages like learn how to drive properly first as well =)

Since I'm a total idiot, what would be the process of doing this upgrade and how much of it could I do myself?

Edited by Young Jack

It's not that straight forward Jack, with your knowledge you'd be better off getting something already built, anything can beat a series car, they're easy.

It's not that straight forward Jack, with your knowledge you'd be better off getting something already built, anything can beat a series car, they're easy.

lol. open class =DDD

Never meant to say I thought it was straight forward, Im just want to know the process from the engine being sitting in the car to starting it up as a stroker.

These idiot questions of mine usually end up as helpful guides for people anyway =)

Edited by Young Jack

Buy my m20 2.7 ? i can provide receipts for 2k in receipts alone in rebuild labour.

It really depends on how far you want to go with the build, it is really limited by how much money you want to spend.

CamB I don't need a stroker but I want it to be a track car quicker than a E30 series car or I might as well keep the blue one and leave it parked up.

Why don't you just rebuild the engine in the blue car? You already have a semi complete race car...just lacks the oomph you want....makes sense this way?

I reckon you should just buy 1 of the 2 mint 318is's that are for sale and enjoy it.

Thats what I would be doing in your situation.

maybe walk away from everything for 4-5 and work out what you really want to do, it seems like you get a new direction every day or so (and I dont mean this in a negative way)

maybe walk away from everything for 4-5 and work out what you really want to do, it seems like you get a new direction every day or so (and I dont mean this in a negative way)

Decided to sell the race car as I don't want all my money stuck in a car thats always in the garage and isn't really pleasant nor practical to drive on the road. So I know I want a fast road E30 maybe E34 to use every day and is good on a track.

Not a new direction every day just establishing my options and choosing a option that is best and of cause you guys know a lot more than me and helps to learn from the experience available on this forum. =)

A fast road car proberly isn't the best thing to have for a 16 year old.

A fast road car proberly isn't the best thing to have for a 16 year old.

almost 17 =)

Buy e30 325i. Enjoy it for what it is. Once you're finished at school and have a fulltime job then perhaps look into something a bit faster. A 325i is cheap, looks great and goes pretty well for what it is!

That's my opinion anyway

Buy e30 325i. Enjoy it for what it is. Once you're finished at school and have a fulltime job then perhaps look into something a bit faster. A 325i is cheap, looks great and goes pretty well for what it is!

That's my opinion anyway

Ill going towards that, James one if its still for sale. Bugger won't trade it for my race car so gonna have to be patient and wait for the race car to sell. =D

love how the question of how to stroke a m20 has turned into this conversation lol

almost 17 =)

Don't think that makes a difference, you know what i mean.

haha yea I know. I'm not a boy racer who does all that sht.

But yea was being a smart arse by saying almost 17 =D

A 325i is heaps fast enough for a 17 year old. You can easily get your self into trouble with just 170 odd hp :P

Get a cheap auto 325i such as the one matty104 is selling, and convert it manual, thats where the value is at. I rekon a 2.8 will get you in trouble. I've just upgraded from 325i to 335i and its a real handful, spun it out on the first night even.

Take me for a spin in the 335i this weekend lol :D