Sign in to follow this  
Gotheschu

How to Stroke a M20

Get a cheap auto 325i such as the one matty104 is selling, and convert it manual, thats where the value is at. I rekon a 2.8 will get you in trouble. I've just upgraded from 325i to 335i and its a real handful, spun it out on the first night even.

The black one?

Take me for a spin in the 335i this weekend lol :D

Shotgun

Spins all round when I've "tidied it up". Now back to Jack's thread.

Spins all round when I've "tidied it up". Now back to Jack's thread.

haha. Nah the requested how to on stroking a M20 has turned to sh*t now. so moving on to your show room thread =D

wow all this thread has done is just confuse me even more. :blink:

not in any way am i trying to be an a**hole or negative, but your mind is flip-flopping more than the footwear of the same name.lol seriously what are you trying to achieve?

i understand you would like an e30 comfortable for DDing and the occasional track day which i am 100% for, that is the direction i have decided to go towards aswell as many of the other young punk e30 boys. seriously read and learn from our threads. i'm very certain you will be happy in a 325i seden or coupe, konis/billys, urthane everything (delrin if you want to get carried away), HD clutch and good tires. which will be similar price your wanting for your racecar. trying to compare a 2.0l to a 2.5l is like night and day, so for a 17~yr old you'll have a bag of fun with a car like this. just be careful you dont kill yourself as you'll always want more power, and with more power comes greater responsibility. it'll be a big step up from what you might be used to.

you know this comment is not about me throwing any punches and sorry if this isn't what you want to hear, have a think about what you want long term. "what do i want to do once i leave school?", "will i have enough time/money to drive/spend on my car?" "will i like e30s forever?", "am i really 16?"

have a talk with your parents as they might be able to help you out.

all the best in your decision mate.

long story short: sell race car, buy 325i, throw go-fast/handling bits at it, drive everyday and enjoy. plus dont die.

wow all this thread has done is just confuse me even more. :blink:

not in any way am i trying to be an a**hole or negative, but your mind is flip-flopping more than the footwear of the same name.lol seriously what are you trying to achieve?

i understand you would like an e30 comfortable for DDing and the occasional track day which i am 100% for, that is the direction i have decided to go towards aswell as many of the other young punk e30 boys. seriously read and learn from our threads. i'm very certain you will be happy in a 325i seden or coupe, konis/billys, urthane everything (delrin if you want to get carried away), HD clutch and good tires. which will be similar price your wanting for your racecar. trying to compare a 2.0l to a 2.5l is like night and day, so for a 17~yr old you'll have a bag of fun with a car like this. just be careful you dont kill yourself as you'll always want more power, and with more power comes greater responsibility. it'll be a big step up from what you might be used to.

you know this comment is not about me throwing any punches and sorry if this isn't what you want to hear, have a think about what you want long term. "what do i want to do once i leave school?", "will i have enough time/money to drive/spend on my car?" "will i like e30s forever?", "am i really 16?"

have a talk with your parents as they might be able to help you out.

all the best in your decision mate.

long story short: sell race car, buy 325i, throw go-fast/handling bits at it, drive everyday and enjoy. plus dont die.

Agreed. Someone buy the Blue Car and Ill go buy Jamez 325i end of story and im not flip flopping just trying to see what options I could have. =) Im deciding what I wanna do before I buy something instead of buying selling buying selling buying selling etc =D

Yea, I think I've gotten bit obsessed with power after the track day cause the race car was so slow haha who hasn't had that short phrase where we just want more and more power.

Thanks all

Edited by Young Jack

Anthony sums it up well, besides, would have been mega bucks to do the stroke thing anyways.

Do you even need a 325? You'd be surprised how much fun any BMW E30 (even 316is) are when you adctually get to drive them everyday. I'm glad my new car is a 320i, for the tiny gain in economy and the "i wont lose my licence" factor, and it still performs plenty for on the road, and certainly my other one does ok on the track.

180kph is only exciting the first time. 100kph round a hairpin is exciting every time.

Anthony sums it up well, besides, would have been mega bucks to do the stroke thing anyways.

Yea. Was well said.

After how slow the blue e30 is, made me want more power then I saw this and just wanted it

Yea. Was well said.

After how slow the blue e30 is, made me want more power then I saw this and just wanted it

To me that's stupid quick, i couldn't trust myself in something like that, even your race car can be exciting, chuck it round corners (on a track of course) and go with it, make it handle, power isn't everything.

Dont spend all the money in one hit Young Jack, you've got plenty of high school left and if you cant find a job then its going to be hard to keep it on the road. IMO dont buy an E30 or any BMW for that matter til you can afford to service it.

Think about things like warrant, registration, brakes, suspension, rust, petrol, clutch, flywheels, basic servicing, cambelts, waterpumps, petrol, oil, tyres, fluids etc all add up and all will need to be replaced at some stage, sometimes sooner rather than later depending on the car.

Its your first real car, your probably going to ding it one day, buy a cheaper E30, have fun, learn how to drive then once you're ready and think its time to upgrade then save up and do so.

Edited by bmw3

To me that's stupid quick

Haha isn't it awesome ( childish smile )

&

HI ANDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Young Jack

Do you even need a 325? You'd be surprised how much fun any BMW E30 (even 316is) are when you adctually get to drive them everyday. I'm glad my new car is a 320i, for the tiny gain in economy and the "i wont lose my licence" factor, and it still performs plenty for on the road, and certainly my other one does ok on the track.

180kph is only exciting the first time. 100kph round a hairpin is exciting every time.

agreed. My M318i was the most fun ive had in an E30 period. this includes the twincam as as fun as it may be im scared i will break it. Get any E30, throw a 4.1 diff at it and it becomes quick. Power is only good in a straight line. suspension is good everywhere. I really wish you had followed through with buying my 318i would have been perfect for you. went to someone else though unfortunately. The thing with suspension too is that all E30s are the same setup bar the front struts. if you get a 4 cylinder get some 51mm struts and throw it aall at you shitter. when you upgrade to a stroker or twincam or whatever, suspension is very easy to remove and revert back to stock so you can keep your goodies. 1 day max

i agree andy(bmw3) and greg. my e30 was stock for years before i searched for power and i had some awsome times in it. only now in the last few years i could afford to make something of it that i can enjoy responsibly. go race and give it all you can as youl be surprised how they handle and it will teach you alot about the car at the same time.

Edited by kerry

I was 17 when i bought my first e30 it was a 320i Auto stock everything even hubcaps, modify it as you grow as a driver that way you will enjoy it more and value it and get to see how far its come.

I could only afford to do the things i wanted once i left school, because after all we dont all drive hondas and modifying BMW's can be expensive done the right way.

Edited by APT

Hey mate,

if you decide to do the 2.8 version have a crank and ECU chipped available

cheers

Jon

Hey mate,

if you decide to do the 2.8 version have a crank and ECU chipped available

cheers

Jon

Haha, thats the spirit. Will be in touch if I have the funds.

Wow, bet your heads going round in circles now.

Wow, bet your heads going round in circles now.

You have no idea. haha

I've got a few job interviews coming up, once I have a road car ( they insist I don't come in for one til I have a car )

Super Cheap Auto and a few other smaller places are interested in me part time so if they come through ok, I will save up over time for all the parts for a 2.8 ( cheaper ), will take me awhile and a couple of track days in a M325i til get it all then another month or two to be ready to put it all together.

Once I have a job it's what I'll be saving for, along with insurance, fuel, and the expenses Andy mentioned.

I think it would pay to ring up your insurance company and ask about insurance for a 2.8l car as well. Can it be done?

get a job first, then get an E30. Not the other way around mmk :) tis like buying scuba gear without an airtank.

Yea. Was well said.

That's 3-5k in parts, at a guess (minimum). Its not the crank and dicking around to get it to work that's going to cost a lot - its the headwork, camshaft, pistons (maybe), rockers that are ok at 7500rpm, headers, ECU, etc etc.

Maybe, just maybe, it can be done cheaper if you are the king of DIY.

A "normal" budget 2.7 / 2.8 stroker is going to be just like a 325 only plus 8-10% (if you're lucky). Its not that much faster at the track and the money is better spent on (for example) the headers which show about the same gain or making sure the suspension is good, or an LSD (with a good ratio for the track, like a 3.91), or tyres.

That's 3-5k in parts, at a guess (minimum). Its not the crank and dicking around to get it to work that's going to cost a lot - its the headwork, camshaft, pistons (maybe), rockers that are ok at 7500rpm, headers, ECU, etc etc.

Maybe, just maybe, it can be done cheaper if you are the king of DIY.

A "normal" budget 2.7 / 2.8 stroker is going to be just like a 325 only plus 8-10% (if you're lucky). Its not that much faster at the track and the money is better spent on (for example) the headers which show about the same gain or making sure the suspension is good, or an LSD (with a good ratio for the track, like a 3.91), or tyres.

QFT

This is the spec list of the car shown in the video:

Engine:

2826cc, cr: 10.8:1

Crank: 84mm (M52B28), piston: 84,5mm orig. last oversize

Tatech EMS (no AFM, coilback ignition, WB lambda control, etc)

305cc injectors

540i throttle body

Camshaft: Kent Cams 288 with standard rockers and springs (Before I had dbilas-dynamic 312° lift 12,5mm + dbilas spring kit + PPF rockers)

Adjustable cam gear

Exhaust: free flow 2,5 inch (one tube)

Modified intake manifold

Lightened flywheel

Sachs Racing clutch

Big coolant radiator

Suspension:

Coilovers with Koni Sport + H&R springs (140 in front / 60 in rear)

M3 aluminium wishbones

All rubber mounts are changed to ones made by Powerflex.

Rear axle and diff mounts are from aluminium - no rubber there...

Toe / Camber adjustable in front and in rear

Rear diff 4,27 with modified LSD unit (double no of friction disks in it)

Front and rear strut bars and full FIA approved roll cage

Brakes:

312*25mm Audi S4 rotors in front

294*19mm BMW 328i E46 rotors in rear

E34 540i brake calipers in front and rear

Big master cilinder from E32 750i - 25.40mm

Ferodo DS2500 pads and Castrol synthetic brake liquid

That's not a slapped together 2.8 build. That's a serious racecar.

^Word.

I have already spent over 2 grand on parts around the motor and still got atleast another 2g on the 2.8 to pay.

So would say it would cost you 4k atleast. I have done everything myself though, bar putting the bottom end together which Ray has organized.

So to answer your question, save atleast 4k before you get started... or buy parts as they pop up. But that is what it is going to cost you.

After just buying Dudlee (E30 318i P/FL), it has Bilstiens in the front with King Springs, although it is a little stiff it is great fun in the corners with that lone. You can just throw it into a corner and it will just go there (more or less).

Just get something cheap, with a few suspension bits and I will guarantee it will be brillant fun.

Insurance is hard enough to get for an 18 year old with a 1.8L insured for $3,500 but for a 16 year old with a modified 10 grand car? No chance if you ask me, or it will be hugely expensive. On a side note get insurance put in your name too don't put it under your parents because you want to build up a reputation with insurance companies.

If your at the Anniversary Weekend meet, I will take you for a spin/you can take it for a drive. Although I orginally wanted a 325i, the extra insurance cost/extra petrol costs just made me realise that I didn't need it as an 18 year old Student.

You don't realise how expensive it is to run a car by yourself with no help from your parents (especially a BMW) until you actually daily one. I have only had mine for a week and theres a decent sized list that I want done to it to smarten it all up.

Sorry for ruining your thread but I can just see you buying a 2.8L/325i and realising that you can't afford to run it and then selling it 1 or 2 months later.