Sign in to follow this  
ash7032

**URGENT** Jap E65 745i TV, NAV, TUNER to NZ conversion **URGENT**

Hello everyone if you can please help me in the situation i'm stuck in i will really appreciate it,

I live in Auckland, I am deciding to buy a 745i Jap import i found, in fact i already told the dealer i will buy it.

It is a 2002 E65 745i, it has the 8.8" Professional Japanese Navigation and TV system, the dealer told me it need conversion to work!!!

I dont understand, what part need to be changed?

I want it all obviously working 100% like a NZ new would, If i cant get it all perfectly working i don't want to buy the car.

Can you guys please tell me how much roughly it would cost, if you know someone who would do it in Auckland, and also exactly every bit that requires changing so the entire system will work flawlessly.

Thank you so much guys i really appreciate your responses. :rolleyes:

Edited by ash-e65

tell the dealer to do it or you will walk away from the sale. they might do it for you

Hello everyone if you can please help me in the situation i'm stuck in i will really appreciate it,

I live in Auckland, I am deciding to buy a 745i Jap import i found, in fact i already told the dealer i will buy it.

It is a 2002 E65 745i, it has the 8.8" Professional Japanese Navigation and TV system, the dealer told me it need conversion to work!!!

I dont understand, what part need to be changed?

I want it all obviously working 100% like a NZ new would, If i cant get it all perfectly working i don't want to buy the car.

Can you guys please tell me how much roughly it would cost, if you know someone who would do it in Auckland, and also exactly every bit that requires changing so the entire system will work flawlessly.

Thank you so much guys i really appreciate your responses. :rolleyes:

Being 02, it could have one of a couple of systems. Either way not straight forward, or necessarily doable.

I have been looking at converting nav in an early version E65 - a carry over ibus into MOST system. There are issues with programming to the car - as yet not even sure if it can be done & I'm not sure anyone else has cracked this one either. TV - may have a world tuner & just need setting to here - not sure - have never played with one in an E65.

What grant said ^

if you want all that to work you are probably better off going nz new ... older non i-drive is a different story.

Thanks guys, what i was thinking is surely the monitor and the amp is the same on a jap version, the radio already works so thats good. I haven't tested the tv tuner, but i will on tuesday. I know on the left hand side of the boot is were the digital TV tuner box and GPS DVD drive is located, so im thinking what if i buy a GPS DVD Drive and Digital TV tuner box from Australia!!! its obviously the same connection, so all i have to do is remove those 2 and install the Aussie ones, shouldn't it work then????

I will really appreciate your response let me know if you agree or disagree with me or is there something i need to know!!! cause i just think its the matter of the boxes in the boot, im assuming everything else is identical!!

Thanks allot for the responses by the way

What grant said ^

if you want all that to work you are probably better off going nz new ... older non i-drive is a different story.

mine is a I-Drive, its an E65 they all have I-Drive,

Thanks guys, what i was thinking is surely the monitor and the amp is the same on a jap version, the radio already works so thats good. I haven't tested the tv tuner, but i will on tuesday. I know on the left hand side of the boot is were the digital TV tuner box and GPS DVD drive is located, so im thinking what if i buy a GPS DVD Drive and Digital TV tuner box from Australia!!! its obviously the same connection, so all i have to do is remove those 2 and install the Aussie ones, shouldn't it work then????

I will really appreciate your response let me know if you agree or disagree with me or is there something i need to know!!! cause i just think its the matter of the boxes in the boot, im assuming everything else is identical!!

No you cannot just change the modules it will require recoding of the new modules and probably all the existing ones too. For you're radio that is probably only working because it likely has a world tuner.

PS my reference non i-drive systems was in relation to the old e38

Edited by Matt45

With respect - as I (& Matt) have already said - it is NOT straight forward & Definitely not plug & play. The Jap nav system in general is alien to the rest of the world. Adding to, the early Jap E65's (again as I have said) have a "Hybrid" system (unlike Euro version) where they are idrive MOST system but run the older Jap ibus nav unit. They soon after changed to a full MOST system - albeit Jap spec & vastly different to Euro. This why I said yours could be one of two:- You say it hads a DVD nav unit - this makes it the earlier one.

Relating again to my first post - I am still in the throws of researching the "doability" into this in another car the same - not yet sure of if it can or for that matter - viability

Retrofitting the nav unit is not the issue (still not plug/play)- have done that - getting the Euro ibus nav unit to "talk" to the MOST system is. This because the Euro spec E65 came with a full MOST system from the start- so no interfacing the two - as with the Jap.

You say radio is programmed for here? - As Matt said - it must be a programmable radio. I have not played with one to know.

You also say digital TV tuner - if this is the case - it might not be good for here. The Euro digital tuner is different to NZ & no good here. You will have to have a play & see.

Today i bought a GPS CD Drive, Radio Box and a TV tuner box from an 2003 E65 745i Australian delivered model,

I am planning to swap all my boxes with the Aussie model and see what happens, i am very exited! hope it works

Today i bought a GPS CD Drive, Radio Box and a TV tuner box from an 2003 E65 745i Australian delivered model,

I am planning to swap all my boxes with the Aussie model and see what happens, i am very exited! hope it works

I would resist installing anything without getting the right advice first either from a BMW Dealer or someone who has actually done this to exactly the same model here in NZ. Forums may not give you the correct advice regarding this. I have heard horror stories doing this and costs ranging from $5,000-$10,000. Many of the car dealers first importing these got caught badly. You can end up corrupting other control units in the vehicle. Even if you plug in the units you have purchased, they won't function till they have been coded to the vehicle and you run the risk of doing damage.

Edited by *Glenn*

^^^ what glenn said!!! even just plugging in a different module has the potential to kill the whole system.

It's ok.

This person knows what their doing and the knowledgeable people on this forum don't.

Nothing to worry about...............................

You obviously cannot read OR choose to disregard somone with experience in these situations :rolleyes:

I may as well have saved my time in responding. I won't bother offering anymore advice to you.

Good luck - me thinks you'll need it :wacko:

Edit: I'm off to find a big supply of popcorn - this is going to be interesting :)

Edited by hotwire

"oooooooooo" how the young listen! +1 to what Ian said! I,m taking the piss I think it's called. It is great to wish to get these toys working on bmw's but surely if people who earn a living from or have years of experience in dealing with these items warn you it my be costly one would heed their warnings. But mans history shows that all the advancements made were sheer flucks or just plane "good luck". Caramel coated popcorn I hope Hotwire

ok i did try to fit all the boxes in, the connections were all different :( that sucks, guess ill be taking the car to bm connections in auckland to do it for me, so upset :(

Edited by ash-e65

Yea the Japanese are the stupid ones :rolleyes:

You should fit a Europlate to it, will look mean... oh wait.

You should fit a Europlate to it, will look mean... oh wait.

LOL

Um well the "stupid Japanese" fitted a system that works where the car was sold new .... i would be pretty pissed if i was in japan and bought a car for 200k new and the ICE didn't work.

... oh for sure it will defiantly work once you have the right connectors!

ok i did try to fit all the boxes in, the connections were all different :( that sucks, guess ill be taking the car to bm connections in auckland to do it for me, so upset :(

Oh I am so surprised - not!:o The statement "Told you so" comes to mind :rolleyes:

You asked & I thought I was being helpful & spelling out all the variables from my experience- you chose to ignore.

Think I can safely say - can't imagine BMW in Auckland can help (apart from the connector pins) most of the dealers don't even know that Jap ibus vehicles can be converted.

Oh bugger - need another supply of popcorn :o

This can all be done, The only people in New Zealand doing this on 7 series is BM Workshop in Botany, speak to Joe he has successfully converted all TV, Navigation & Radio to ECE specification for NZ market

This can all be done, The only people in New Zealand doing this on 7 series is BM Workshop in Botany, speak to Joe he has successfully converted all TV, Navigation & Radio to ECE specification for NZ market

I am aware of this BUT this particular vehicle is a Hybrid system that only occured for a year or so of the first Jap E65's. It may be doable but the sequence required will be different to the later E65's that run full MOST

Yes I know the system well, I have done many early systems, But this did take me years to work out, the hardware alone to buy new is over $4000, I do Navigation & radio tuner conversion for $2000

I am aware of this BUT this particular vehicle is a Hybrid system that only occured for a year or so of the first Jap E65's. It may be doable but the sequence required will be different to the later E65's that run full MOST

Don't go knocking the Jap imports just because their specifications do not fit what you require. Although I am new to BMW ownership I consider the Jap import path to ownership to be extremely good value. From what I can see, The Jap vehicles are highly spec'ed, very well looked after and great value when you consider the features you get for the price.

In my case the Nav needs to be changed but that was all researched and built into the price I paid for the vehicle. (has yet to be done so I hope I don't end up regretting that statement :D )

Just wish I'd known about Jap import BMWs when my wifes car got written off after the first Christchurch earthquake. We would have two in the garage :-)