Sign in to follow this  
Apex

Classic Car show.

I have this in my diary, could be of interest to a few of you. They had a fantastic range of cars on display last year ranging from old English junk all the way upto the latest Italian supercars, there were even a few BMW's.

Lock and loaded.

http://www.classiccar.co.nz/news-7900/nz-c...starts-tomorrow

From BMW Club

Intermarque Concours at Ellerslie Race Course on Sunday 13th Feb. The Club will have a display celebrating the 25th Anniversary of the M3. There will be road & race versions of every model as well as a 2 very special cars to be judged. We will be in the same area, at the top of the hill

Yay. Will charge the camera I think.

I hope the BMW stand is a good one- it would be nice one year to put pressure on the terrific turn-out the Porsche people have every year.

The bmw car club stand is going to be superb ... it's an M3 show with a race car and a road car of each M3 - e30, E36, E46, E93

I've heard rumours there will also be a special alpina something being judged aside an M3

If I was in Auckland I'd definitely be there

Fiat will have something special there also according to a mate.

Cant wait for this.

Isin't this the same show that will be celebrating the 50th anniversary of the E type Jaguar?

Fiat will have something special there also according to a mate.

Cant wait for this.

must be some sort of anti rust product! :rolleyes:

Hey people, don't think i'm gonna be able to make it to the ahow, so whoever goes could they please take lots of photos and take some of the interiors of the cars. It would be muchly apreciated.

Cheers

Nice show, the motorkhana was cool to watch, MG midgets/minis owning camaros ;) The Z club, Mini's, porsche and the italian displays were easily the best.

BMW display was average, 7 or so 3 series from E30 onwards. E30 M3 & a Z8 in the masters though (both obviously immaculate). Where were all the 2002's, E21, E34's, Alpinas etc etc etc... ?

In all honesty, for the bimmer nut, your probably better off walking around the carpark (As well!):D Saw an E34 M5, and a nice blue 8somethink

Some pics -

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Jacko

Yea. Nothing at the BMW stand you wouldn't see at a Race meeting...

Saw a White M3 E46 in car park, nice blue 8 series, red e30 m3.

Was an awesome historic Caprice worth 1.3M which i thought was the best. That and the 458 Italia.

You dont see many Genuine Black Evo Sports at Race Meets.

Great show, spend a few hours but started burning in the sun, what a day!

My favourites.

E30 M3 Sport Evo

Lancia Stratos Rep

360 Challenge

GT3 RS (but needed Orange wheels)

Lotus Exige (SEXIGE)

Will post a few images up tomorrow.

That stratos was awesome, had lots of TVR want going on too.

The "corvette" special pictured above was diabolical, epic american styling fail! Kinda cool in an I want to poke my eyes out kinda way.

I was most impressed by the MG midget getting caned though, most of the ones ive seen seemed to be nana'd around by elderly gentlemen!

The Speed SIX was cool, wicked paint.

Best club stand IMHO was the Mini stand, the are a cool club!

Oh and my wife thinks I need to work harder and by a V12 Vantage, something about a Modern Aston with a proper stick shifter.

Nice show, the motorkhana was cool to watch, MG midgets/minis owning camaros ;) The Z club, Mini's, porsche and the italian displays were easily the best.

BMW display was average, 7 or so 3 series from E30 onwards, nothing else. E30 M3 & a Z8 in the masters though (both obviously immaculate). Where were all the 2002's, E21, E34's, Alpinas etc etc etc... ?

In all honesty, for the bimmer nut, your probably better off walking around the carpark :D Saw an E34 M5, and a nice blue 8somethink

Some pics -

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The theme for this year was "Kings of the road"...every year there is a theme....so try and think a bit harder as to why 2002's were not on our stand.

We had a road version and race version of every M3 which is BMW's king of the road dont you think, Also is 25 years of the M3

the cars were E30 m3 sport evo (road)

E30 M3 race car (alpina)

E36 M3 road car 3.0

E36 M3 race car (ex nz touring car-now Cowan car)

E46 M3 (was BMW evaluation car)

E46 M3 GTR

E92 M3 Road car (brand new with the double clutch smg)

E92 M3 race car (currently only one in NZ)

The Judged cars were a fully original E30 M3 and the only Alpina Z8 in the southern hemisphere

I think what most people dont realise is that nice BMW's are driven on the road and are not cars that sit in storage and have full restorations, and a "true bimmernut" would appreciate the cars on display.

Think I might have worded that wrong, wasnt bagging it at all. Was a cool display of M3's (obviously!) But even the Mrs asked, "where's the rest of the bmw's?"

Was hoping that mint Alpina B7S would be there :D

The guy that owned the red E30 M3 up for juding is a nice chap. He is a mechanic at Combes in Hamilton (handy when restoring an M3 ;) ) and did the pre purchase inspection on my M3. He bought his car in from England and has been working away at it for quite a while. Though he confessed he has hardly driven it since the finish of the resto. I told him to take the long twisty way home to Hamilton and give it the good thrashing those cars love :rolleyes:

THat M3 was beautifully presented (even within the mintness that is concours). Must be stressful trying to keep a car in that condition.

I liked the Porsche 356 Carrera (not that there's much to notice) - very rare.

How often do we have the chance to get this collection together in one place in NZ. A beautiful sight for the M3 coniseur.

post-1470-1297583008.jpg

post-1470-1297583026.jpg

post-1470-1297583040.jpg

post-1470-1297583052.jpg

post-1470-1297583064.jpg

post-1470-1297583076.jpg

post-1470-1297583095.jpg

post-1470-1297583107.jpg

post-1470-1297583120.jpg

post-1470-1297583132.jpg

The theme for this year was "Kings of the road"...every year there is a theme....so try and think a bit harder as to why 2002's were not on our stand.

We had a road version and race version of every M3 which is BMW's king of the road dont you think, Also is 25 years of the M3

the cars were E30 m3 sport evo (road)

E30 M3 race car (alpina)

E36 M3 road car 3.0

E36 M3 race car (ex nz touring car-now Cowan car)

E46 M3 (was BMW evaluation car)

E46 M3 GTR

E92 M3 Road car (brand new with the double clutch smg)

E92 M3 race car (currently only one in NZ)

The Judged cars were a fully original E30 M3 and the only Alpina Z8 in the southern hemisphere

I think what most people dont realise is that nice BMW's are driven on the road and are not cars that sit in storage and have full restorations, and a "true bimmernut" would appreciate the cars on display.

Hi Milan,

Thanks for that post as it has provided some clarity on what the stand was presenting. I was impressed with the stand's M3's. A very impressive selection.

However, I was with a couple of friends who have each owned 10+ BMW's and they said they were under-whelmed by the lack of variety. To be fair, we were also oblivious that the stand was also celebrating the M3's quarter -century.

In years gone by, there were interesting E21's, E30's, E24's, E34's E39's E38's, E31's etc that have captivated some serious amounts of people.

I suppose externally, this time, the same variety wasn't there.

What annoys me is that the Porsche guys dominate with their club stand. Some of the cars presented were not of the GQ (Garage Queen) variety that only come out every few months. In fact there were a few that were very affordable, and clearly had been driven regularly and extensively.

I think the BMW stand has heaps of potential to kick some serious butt. Being more affordable than some of the prestige marques, there are heaps of owners out there across NZ, and many of their vehicles have been cherished, worthy of being presented.

We (myself included) have got to get more passionate to display our cars, and show the BMW car club of NZ has some serious cars within its membership database, and put pressure on the likes of the Porsche Club Of NZ.

We should try and have the best stand there every single year.

Regards,

SS

Did anyone notice the concave covers over the lights of the Sport Evo ? You only really noticed when looking from side on - was that some factory option ? I didn't really see what purpose they served.

The guy that owned the red E30 M3 up for juding is a nice chap. He is a mechanic at Combes in Hamilton (handy when restoring an M3 ;) ) and did the pre purchase inspection on my M3. He bought his car in from England and has been working away at it for quite a while. Though he confessed he has hardly driven it since the finish of the resto. I told him to take the long twisty way home to Hamilton and give it the good thrashing those cars love :rolleyes:

Hi Phil,

Is this the guy, Martin who is the manager at Coombes J?

There are some superb back roads around Hamilton, worthy of a good thrashing! To do it in a E30 M3 would be awesome!

Hi Milan,

Thanks for that post as it has provided some clarity on what the stand was presenting. I was impressed with the stand's M3's. A very impressive selection.

However, I was with a couple of friends who have each owned 10+ BMW's and they said they were under-whelmed by the lack of variety. To be fair, we were also oblivious that the stand was also celebrating the M3's quarter -century.

In years gone by, there were interesting E21's, E30's, E24's, E34's E39's E38's, E31's etc that have captivated some serious amounts of people.

I suppose externally, this time, the same variety wasn't there.

What annoys me is that the Porsche guys dominate with their club stand. Some of the cars presented were not of the GQ (Garage Queen) variety that only come out every few months. In fact there were a few that were very affordable, and clearly had been driven regularly and extensively.

I think the BMW stand has heaps of potential to kick some serious butt. Being more affordable than some of the prestige marques, there are heaps of owners out there across NZ, and many of their vehicles have been cherished, worthy of being presented.

We (myself included) have got to get more passionate to display our cars, and show the BMW car club of NZ has some serious cars within its membership database, and put pressure on the likes of the Porsche Club Of NZ.

We should try and have the best stand there every single year.

Regards,

SS

Hi Sanjay,

Just to clarify a few points here - this is how the Intermarque Concours works.... it is run "by the Clubs for the Clubs" & the honour of winning means that the following year your club is the organiser of the Concours & you also get to display as many cars as you wish in front of the main Grand Stand, hence the huge Porsche display as they were the winners last year.

If you bother to come along next year, you will find an equally large display of Ford Mustangs, as they were the winners this year.

As far as our display went, I don't think you would find a display of every model M3 Race car & road car in very many shows anywhere in the world (& believe me, I've been to a lot of them).

The Club is also restricted to the number of cars we have on display & also the area we have to display them. There is a lot of time & effort by the BMW Car Club committee that goes into preparing for this show. If you had seen the unloading & loading of the race cars, perhaps you would understand the time & effort the owners of these cars put aside to support the BMW Car Club New Zealand, not to mention the "blood sweat & tears " that goes into the preparation before the event.

As far as the "judged cars" go, those 2 cars are absolutely superb. Show me where else you will find a Z8, let alone a Z8 Alpina. If that doesn't please real BMW enthusiasts, I don't know what will. And alongside that you have one of the finest E30 M3s, probably in the Southern Hemisphere.

Maybe next year, depending on the theme we are given by the organisers, we could have a display of 8 series cars?

Gerry Hodges

President

BMW Car Club New Zealand

Hi Sanjay,

Just to clarify a few points here - this is how the Intermarque Concours works.... it is run "by the Clubs for the Clubs" & the honour of winning means that the following year your club is the organiser of the Concours & you also get to display as many cars as you wish in front of the main Grand Stand, hence the huge Porsche display as they were the winners last year.

If you bother to come along next year, you will find an equally large display of Ford Mustangs, as they were the winners this year.

As far as our display went, I don't think you would find a display of every model M3 Race car & road car in very many shows anywhere in the world (& believe me, I've been to a lot of them).

The Club is also restricted to the number of cars we have on display & also the area we have to display them. There is a lot of time & effort by the BMW Car Club committee that goes into preparing for this show. If you had seen the unloading & loading of the race cars, perhaps you would understand the time & effort the owners of these cars put aside to support the BMW Car Club New Zealand, not to mention the "blood sweat & tears " that goes into the preparation before the event.

As far as the "judged cars" go, those 2 cars are absolutely superb. Show me where else you will find a Z8, let alone a Z8 Alpina. If that doesn't please real BMW enthusiasts, I don't know what will. And alongside that you have one of the finest E30 M3s, probably in the Southern Hemisphere.

Maybe next year, depending on the theme we are given by the organisers, we could have a display of 8 series cars?

Gerry Hodges

President

BMW Car Club New Zealand

Hey Gerry,

Fair points. I think my final comment was misinterpreted. I was not actually criticising the stand - I was trying to create some competitive juices. I was not referring to the 'best stand we can present.'

What I meant was - the best stand there at Ellerslie- i.e better than Porsche, Mustang etc.

I think you know me well enough to realise I was not taking a pot-shot at the club. Quite the opposite.

Not being critical, just voicing a few thoughts that I heard from friends. I actually like all BMW's, so quite appreciative of the cars on display- including the Z8, which agreed is a unique and special car..

Regards,

SS