Sign in to follow this  
Apex

Classic Car show.

Ahhh, that makes more sense!

Was wondering why there were so many porsche's, all in the best spot.

I actually thought the race car/road car thing was a pretty cool idea, and the club should be commended on it (nice one Gerry). You can't please all the people all the time.... speaking of which

I'm also not a fan of new cars* at concours / classic car shows, but if its in the rules... fair game.

* I reckon an e36 is too new personally, perhaps because I drive one on the basis its a modern car. I reckon 25 years +

Edited by CamB

Did anyone notice the concave covers over the lights of the Sport Evo ? You only really noticed when looking from side on - was that some factory option ? I didn't really see what purpose they served.

That’s OEM on the sport evo my friend, lots of little details are changed on that model, its wider guards, lower and higher spoilers, even things like extra rubber mouldings aid drag co-efficiency between panel gaps.

Most people don’t understand the amount of awesome the Sport Evo is, just looks like a E30 M3 but they are developed quite a bit farther than the regular M3.

To be honest I didn’t even notice there were any other BMW’s on the stand, I just stood there drooling at that one car.

The BMW stand is always boring, as said above BMW’s are for driving not for showing and they are not the sort of car that stops you at a show, you can se 2,000 BMW’s and Manukau shopping mall every day of the week.

As an M3 fan I loved the BMW display - spent as much time as I could generally around the E30's untill the sun drove me into some shade.

Eric's car made me re-think about restoring my 16" OEM rims and putting them on. - SS - Martin is the manager, also a very nice guy, but Eric owns the M3. He has a photo of it on the wall in his workshop :-)

Anyone know who made the podium ?

What no one here has pointed out is the BMW club's stand was specifically to celebrate 25 years of the M3.

That is why it was all M3's and not a lot of other models.

Personally, I think the stand was better than the E Type stand which had a half a dozen E Types only, and they were celebrating 50 years of that model. The E Type stand got a lot of publicity in the advertising for the show, and all they could come up with were a handful of cars. Disappointing as I love the car. Perhaps it was a lack of room and they had to limit the number of cars.

Grant, you've seen all the BMWs - beyond that, there was something for everyone there and more than enough Porsches of all ages.

What no one here has pointed out is the BMW club's stand was specifically to celebrate 25 years of the M3.

That is why it was all M3's and not a lot of other models.

Phil did - post 2.

From BMW Club

Intermarque Concours at Ellerslie Race Course on Sunday 13th Feb. The Club will have a display celebrating the 25th Anniversary of the M3. There will be road & race versions of every model as well as a 2 very special cars to be judged. We will be in the same area, at the top of the hill

The $250K Supercharged MG was quite cool. Apparently the dude drives it everywhere and does hill climbs in it.

I thought it was a pretty cool show. Nice to catch up with some peopleI haven't seen for a while. the highlight for me was the 39 Ford Coupe that had been chopped and lengthened and god knows what else!. The amount of work that had gone into it was incredible!

I thought it was a pretty cool show. Nice to catch up with some peopleI haven't seen for a while. the highlight for me was the 39 Ford Coupe that had been chopped and lengthened and god knows what else!. The amount of work that had gone into it was incredible!

Was that the hotrod that was being raffled for the Phobia Trust, but the car builders (I think) went broke and the raffle just died.

I bought several tickets in the raffle and got nothing, not even an offer of a refund.

Was that the hotrod that was being raffled for the Phobia Trust, but the car builders (I think) went broke and the raffle just died.

I bought several tickets in the raffle and got nothing, not even an offer of a refund.

No I don't think it is, I am pretty sure it is a different car. Did you not check it out while you were there?

Edited by zenetti

It is a different car. The HotRod was purple ish and was outside.

He's talking about the Silver 39 coupe that was inside the building. Was chopped 4", channeled 5", bonnet lengthened, hardtop that looked like a soft top (YES IT WAS A HARDTOP - if you looked inside it the roof was solid steel)

That was a thing of beauty. I liked the E-type stand everything there was pristine.

I was also disappointed by the ferrari stand. I know there is more than the 4 ish cars they had there..

I found the BMW stand boring. Yes it had all the M3's but they were also locked up with the bonnets shut so you couldnt marvel at their glorious engines. An E36 M3 looks almost the same as a standard E36 and the E46 is the same. Only the E30 has different body lines so you knew exactly what it was.

Grant, you've seen all the BMWs - beyond that, there was something for everyone there and more than enough Porsches of all ages.

There were never enough Porsches :-)