Sign in to follow this  
Aza13

1990 E30 325I Cracked Bushes

Hey guys,

I'm in Sydney ex Auckland but just thought I would ask the question as I'm bit of a newbie with suspension.

My mechanic that looked a my car advised that the bushes on the front lower control arm are cracked and this requires the whole front lower control arm to be replaced, does this sound correct?

Also I know its Aussie dollars but he has quoted $600 AUD to do this??

Cheers,

Aza

Ball joints or bushes ??

The ball joints can be individually replaced in the lower arms

The rear control arm bushes in the rear lollipop mounts can be replaced without replacing the arm

Ball joints or bushes ??

The ball joints can be individually replaced in the lower arms

The rear control arm bushes in the rear lollipop mounts can be replaced without replacing the arm

As far as im aware he told me only bushes are cracked on the front lower control arm?

If its only the bushes hes charging too much. I could do that for less than $200 without an alignment

Glenn would know better, but I have had the ball joints replaced locally for around $45 each incl fitting.

If its only the bushes hes charging too much. I could do that for less than $200 without an alignment

I thought as much think I might try elsewhere, also another quick question there Glenn if you dont mind..

How much would you be looking at for a replacement Idle Air Control Valve? I was quoted $540.00 for part and labour and also advised a Coolant Flush would be need at an additional cost of $93.50?

what the. mate take your car somewhere else this guys ripping the hell out of you. both jobs are easy enough to do yourself just pay for the items but dont get them through that guy. coolant flush $93.50??? is this a joke

$93.50 sounds fair to me for a coolant flush.

Bottle of antifreeze costs 40-50 bucks at super cheap....

Depending on the style of idle control valve you have, you can buy new ones here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...%2D%39%31%29%20 for much less than 540.... or try cleaning it out with carb cleaner first, it's probably full of crap. Or just buy a good used one.

As for the control arm bushes, as Glenn said around $200* paying some one else to do it is a more realistic figure, if the control arms need to be replaced also, over here in NZ you can buy entire new control arms with balljoints for around $125NZD each.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Brams

Depending on the style of idle control valve you have, you can buy new ones here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...%2D%39%31%29%20 for much less than 540.... or try cleaning it out with carb cleaner first, it's probably full of crap. Or just buy a good used one.

As for the control arm bushes, as Glenn said around $200* paying some one else to do it is a more realistic figure, if the control arms need to be replaced also, over here in NZ you can buy entire new control arms with balljoints for around $125NZD each.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for that guys, yea I deff think I iwll be seeking further quotes as even I thought that was rather expensive for the work that needed to be carried out.

Cheers