Sign in to follow this  
Apex

540i SE Touring NZ New 1996

Might be a E34 owner subject to inspection. Have missed my Touring since I sold it and have been waiting for something to pop up as a worthy replacement.

Anyone know this car?

Anyone have some form of decent OEM E34 wheels that might suite? The ones on it are as appropriate as my nana rocking an I-Phone.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=356427461

Also. Can anyone lend me 10k? :lol:

Finance Available :P

Needs a manual trans too.

Please PM with dogdy info Brunch.

its diamond black metalic i think.

that green one is about 1 of 3 that i know of . there where 2 of these on trade me about 2-3 years back both this colour trying to sell them for about the same price or less than the one you are looking at

1 that i parted out and there is another nz new one same colour

beaware of the leaky and failing double sunroofs .

make sure the rear self leveling is working or replaced with std springs and shocks .

and make sure the 5spd zf trans is all good.

other than that a good car

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

its diamond black metalic i think.

that green one is about 1 of 3 that i know of . there where 2 of these on trade me about 2-3 years back both this colour trying to sell them for about the same price or less than the one you are looking at

1 that i parted out and there is another nz new one same colour

beaware of the leaky and failing double sunroofs .

make sure the rear self leveling is working or replaced with std springs and shocks .

and make sure the 5spd zf trans is all good.

other than that a good car

Thanks, now that is helpful. Might take it to wash world and blast the roof with a high pressure water blaster.

Would it be obvious if the self levelling was removed and what is the best way to test it works? Load a trailer on the back?

if the car sags on the rear when engine is off and raises when started .

self leveling has hydo pipes etc going into the shocks.

otherwise it will just have std rear shocks and springs .

check out the parts

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E34/Tour...owse/rear_axle/

post-279-1298406050.jpg

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

I agree they are expensive for a old E34 if you think logically about it. But they are a cool wagon and it’s a V8 so logic just went out the window, $11,000 for a stylish V8 Station wagon is not bad money when you compare what equivalent Commodore V8 Wagon you would get for the coin.

Thanks Brent, it still has the hydraulic suspension but it doesn’t do anything, is that a problem?

I just had a good drive of it and it goes well, cats have been chopped out and it has just has a major service.

The suspension, wheels and tyres are crap though, it rides low and has the wrong profile tyers.

Average consumption is reading 16.3L/100km, is that the norm for a E34 V8?

The consumption is the only thing that is putting me off, it drinks twice as much gas as my Renault Megane but is a lot slower.

Edited by Apex

I agree they are expensive for a old E34 if you think logically about it. But they are a cool wagon and it’s a V8 so logic just went out the window, $11,000 for a stylish V8 Station wagon is not bad money when you compare what equivalent Commodore V8 Wagon you would get for the coin.

Thanks Brent, it still has the hydraulic suspension but it doesn’t do anything, is that a problem?

I just had a good drive of it and it goes well, cats have been chopped out and it has just has a major service.

The suspension, wheels and tyres are crap though, it rides low and has the wrong profile tyers.

Average consumption is reading 16.3L/100km, is that the norm for a E34 V8?

The consumption is the only thing that is putting me off, it drinks twice as much gas as my Renault Megane but is a lot slower.

Before the gearbox shat itself, i was getting an average of 14l/100k in my sedan. That was with a good mix of city/highway driving. On long trips i would regularly see 10l/100km

I agree on your thoughts about it being a cool V8 wagon etc, but especially being a dealer i'd be doing everything i could to screw him to the wall on price.

Sounds like it could need shocks and springs etc - there's about 2k. Good bargaining point?

Agree it needs new rims. Staggered Schnitzer type III's would be my pick!

I don’t really have too much of a problem with the price, I think its fair for what is a rare car and nice NZ new cars have sold for more recently, hell people pay near that for E30 Tourings, it has a FSH and a near $3000 repair bill from last week and it clearly owes him money, he is a dealer and he has to make a living, he has put effort into sourcing it, cleaning it up and having all the necessary repaired.

The wheels and suspension would be a issue, as you say replacement suspension could run as high as 2K. I should be able to sell the 18x8 imitation motorsport wheels for say $500-800?

Guest Simon*

Graham if you're interested, I'm about to list a manual NZ New 540 manual sedan for sale ;) Suspension's sweet and it has an LSD too.

ecno sounds about right .

sedan woulkd be sleightly better .

yes they can get upwards of 10L per 100km on a trip but expect 14-16 around town etc.

my e34 with 4.4L and 5spd sits around that ,

suspension if it sits at the correct and doesn't sag then it should be ok ,

you can replace with std springs (from a non self leveling touring like 520i) with std bilsteins with rings so you can set the correct height , or just fit adjustables coil overs in ,.

but only do it if needs it ,

overwise just drive it and dont worry about it unless it fails.