Sign in to follow this  
hybrid

What it could look like

ahhh..!!! awesome... if barthurst was like that!!!..................................................................... such gorgeous cars!!

saw:

audi,

caddy

Bm,

merc

monaro

Masserati -0:35?

lol that 300c looks ugly..

now if only gt5 online raced that clean around corners :)

ahhh..!!! awesome... if barthurst was like that!!!..................................................................... such gorgeous cars!!

Aussies are too scared - might show their Holdens & Fords up... as other cars have before :o

Great racing :)

im not all knowledgable about barthurst. but just wondering. what is preventing other manufacturers from entering it? a 2 car race is boring to be honest.

Aussies are too scared - might show their Holdens & Fords up... as other cars have before :o

Great racing :)

Please, the Ausi Supercars would eat these in current tune. And you will find the Ausi Supercars is much closer racing, I think you guys are just blinded by the BMW badges.

Would love to see a back to basics form of touring cars like this down under, there is nothing stopping a series going ahead as a second tear if they get enough investors, cars like the ones above are all quite close to production as far as race cars go.

The NZ production series is worth a watch if you want back to basics, they could use some more euro's though.

Agree with Docile the 300c is such a yuck car.

Edited by Apex

im not all knowledgable about barthurst. but just wondering. what is preventing other manufacturers from entering it? a 2 car race is boring to be honest.

Rules. they literally banned everyone else.

they are looking to allow other manufacturers now...

did anyone note the E36 M3 mirrors on the C63 AMG? lol... just goes to show how aerodynamically efficent they actually are.

I reckon Apex is right tho, current V8 supercars are incredibily fast these cars would need alot of development to keep up.

Edited by M5V8

Do the V8 Supercars all use exactly the same engine?

Would be cool to see a couple of 5 series shells trading paint with the other two none the less!

Do the V8 Supercars all use exactly the same engine?

Would be cool to see a couple of 5 series shells trading paint with the other two none the less!

No. The Fords use an engine based on the Ford Windsor block and the Holdens use an engine based on a Chev Small Block.

Other manufactures dont want to use an engine based on competitors engines (there are other reasons, as there always are).

They make aproxx. 630hp.

The old formula was killed off when it became a joke, as certain cars were almost guaranteed to win every race. Nothing worse than predictable motorsport.

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/50093/v8s...urers-from-2012

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/newsarticle/...49/default.aspx

open rules to allow new manufacturers from 2012

I remember reading that there were a couple of manufacturers thinking about entering Lexus was one name battered around.

Edited by M5V8

Toyota should build a Camry with the NASCAR engine in it... like a NASCAR Camry.

Posted Image

Would be interesting to see what the rules are.

Problem I see is that all the new euro stuff is going turbo so not even BMW would be able to crank out a production based 600+ BHP N/A V8. Their current high power N/A V8 is just shy of 400BHP, I wonder if they can coax 230BHP more, maybe they could increase displacement.

Hyundai have a RWD V8 Platform as does Nissan, Hell Nissan have the GT3 GTR V8 on the race seen already.

Problem I see is that all the new euro stuff is going turbo so not even BMW would be able to crank out a production based 600+ BHP N/A V8. Their current high power N/A V8 is just shy of 400BHP, I wonder if they can coax 230BHP more, maybe they could increase displacement.

The engine in the E46 M3 GTR made ~500hp from 4L 10 years ago... I doubt it'd be a problem for them.

Please, the Ausi Supercars would eat these in current tune. And you will find the Ausi Supercars is much closer racing, I think you guys are just blinded by the BMW badges.

Would love to see a back to basics form of touring cars like this down under, there is nothing stopping a series going ahead as a second tear if they get enough investors, cars like the ones above are all quite close to production as far as race cars go.

The NZ production series is worth a watch if you want back to basics, they could use some more euro's though.

Agree with Docile the 300c is such a yuck car.

Not blinded by BMW badge :P

Wasn't specifically meaning these cars. Yes the Aussie cars are quick but they are still from big capacity dinosour engines.

I am thinking back to originally Jag's, then Sierra's then Nissan Godzilla - all beating the best of Aussie cars at the time. Oops they are banned, funny that. Guess they had to protect their market though:-

I am sure others could/can raise their game to the platform if/when required & probably using less capicity with more technology.

I can't wait to see it open up again

I'd love to see a R35 GTR with the same HP and weight going head to head with the 'supercars'......

and a M3 GTR, Lexus ISF, Jag XKR, Audi RS4, AMG C63, Ferrari 430 scud, Porsche 911 GT2, ................... drool.... :P

lol... now I've gone right off the reservation.

Edited by M5V8

The engine in the E46 M3 GTR made ~500hp from 4L 10 years ago... I doubt it'd be a problem for them.

True, the P60B40 made near 500BHP in race tune and with a displacement increase to 5000cc it would no doubt make over 600. Would BMW GmbH make and engine for BMW Australia to throw in the car and what will the rules be? I'm guessing at least it will have to be build on a current production engine,.

Wasn't specifically meaning these cars. Yes the Aussie cars are quick but they are still from big capacity dinosour engines.

I am thinking back to originally Jag's, then Sierra's then Nissan Godzilla - all beating the best of Aussie cars at the time. Oops they are banned, funny that. Guess they had to protect their market though:-

I am sure others could/can raise their game to the platform if/when required & probably using less capicity with more technology.

I can't wait to see it open up again

Same old stuck record. Look into the abolishment of Group-A era, new regulations needed to be in place to keep the sport fair or 95% of the teams would have dropped out of the series and it would have died. Simple as that. Im sure we would have loved to watch a poxy Nissan race another Poxy Nissan around a mountain for 6 hours.

Open, na, its going to be silhouette racing much like DTM or a remote controlled car.

well something like the japan championship regulations. different cars got different handicaps - weight ballast penalties, intake restrictors etc.

From memory COTF rules specified pretty much a standard chassis, suspension, engine etc. So it will just be silhouttes. Or damn near it, maybe they get to make their own engines, but it'll be to the specs they are given.

I watched a little NASCAR qualifying on the w/end (yeeeehaawwwww). Any dinosaur engine cracking 9,000rpm is good by me (and on a carburetor!).

The cars are powered by carbureted V8 engines, with cast iron blocks, and a pushrod valvetrain actuating two-valves per cylinder, and limited to 358 cubic inches (about 5.8 liters) displacement. However, modern technology has allowed power outputs near 850 horsepower (630 kW) in unrestricted form while retaining the conventional basic engine design. In fact, before NASCAR instituted the gear rule, Cup engines were capable of operating in excess of 10,000 rpm.[18] A Sprint Cup Engine with the maximum bore of 4.185 inches (106.3 millimeters), and stroke of 3.25 inches (82.55 millimeters) at 9,000 rpm has a mean piston speed of 24.75 m/s (roughly that of a Formula One engine).

Multi valve engines have been around since the early 1900s so yeah.......

From memory COTF rules specified pretty much a standard chassis, suspension, engine etc. So it will just be silhouttes. Or damn near it, maybe they get to make their own engines, but it'll be to the specs they are given.

Engines are expected to be of the manufacturers design and production and built to a set of rules, must be V8, etc., but yeah it's going to be sihouette racers, with bolt on panels to differentiate the cars.

In all honesty it is NOT that different to what is running in V8 Supercars at the moment, most have common suspension, axles, diffs, gearboxes which is why the racing is so close - which is the whole point of it! Yes, the technology is "dinosaur" stuff, but it is a controlled formula to 1) keep racing close and 2) keep costs down. The second point has kind of lost it's way a bit in recent years, hence the re-vamp to COTF rules.

I would rather see two "makes" with 30 cars running close together, than eight or nine makes with certain cars miles ahead of everyone else due to the differences in cars, that's not racing, thats a procession at speed (see Formula 1).

Isn't 2012 the big change for supercars? From what the interweb is saying BMW has already signed up for this series along with Nissan and a few others from memory.